Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Best lizard(s) for beginners?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:50 am
So I want a lizard. For the first time, I'm actually thinking of acting on this long wanting I've had for ages. But they've always struck me as the kind of pet that needs a lot of care. And my mother doesn't want me to have one, she believes it's cruel to stick them in a small enclosure. So the plan is to eventually buy a nice big enclosure, and get a pair of lizards (mum prefers animals to have companions of their own species most of the time, and I'm with on it. Assuming theirs lizards that can be kept together).

I don't want to get the lizard soon, I want to wait until maybe next year. First I need to get my guinea pigs living situation sorted out, research, make sure I want a reptile, get a job and earn enough money to pay for the enclosure, things the lizard will need, the lizard, food, vet bills etc.

But until then, what are some good beginner species? And are there any that can live in pairs? How much energy does the heat lamps, pads etc burn? Do they have to have live food?
I have a particular liking for bearded dragon, and am pretty sure they're good for beginners?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:27 am
Good beginner species includes anoles, leopard geckos, crested geckos, and I suppose bearded dragons (a lot of people claim they're good for beginners, I can somewhat agree).
Anoles can be kept in multiples. Leopard geckos can too, but for leopard geckos you cannot put two males together, so it should be male/female or female/female only. Female/female is probably best, as sometimes in breeding pairs the male can start pestering the female to mate all the time, and of course there's the breeding thing.

Not sure about how much energy the heating supplies run, but it's not that much. If you've ever had an aquarium, those things burn a lot more energy for all those electrical necessities (lighting, filter, heater, etc) than just a simple heat lamp.

Some lizards, such as iguanas (not beginner lizards), are strict herbivores. But most, especially the beginners, aren't, and they will require live food, usually something like crickets. Never think that you should feed any 'freezedried' insects, because nutritionally they're worthless (not only that, a lot of lizards refuse to eat dead prey).
Bearded dragons are okay for beginners. They do require UVB/UVA lighting, which some of the easier nocturnal lizards (leopard, crested) do not. They also require a varied diet with live food AND veggies, which other lizards eat only insects. The vegetables, rather than being things such as broccoli, carrots, etc, are actually mainly greens such as turnip, collard, and mustard greens, and you'll need to research and learn to pay attention to values such as the calcium:phosphorus ratio and what goitrogens are. Bearded dragons should not live in pairs unless you want to breed.  

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:34 am

If you're looking for something that also doesn't cost too much to buy/set up for, then leopard geckos are probably a good bet.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:03 pm
Leopard geckos and beaded dragons are good ones, so are anoles. Crested geckos have a more complex diet.

Leopard geckos are smaller therefore need less room than a beadie, but don't skimp on size nonetheless. They also need more than one hide, and in different ends of the habitat. They are insectivores.

I really like beardies. They are omnivores, and eat both plant material (veggies, leafy greens, and a little fruit) and insects. There are also pellets on the market, but I wouldn't rely soley on those. These guys like it pretty hot.

Anoles, unlike leopards and beadies, are not for handling, really. I'm guessing you might be able to coax them onto your hand for food, but they are small and fast little buggers.

Most reptiles need UVA/UVB lighting and heating elements, and themperatures are lower at night. Check on the requirements for the species you are interested in. UVB is essential to some for proper metabolization of calcium in some species. You might want a vitamin D supplement in those species. UVA is also highly beneficial. You will have to mist your reptiles, some more than others. Be careful of sand for desert species! Never use it on animals with bodies less that 6", and even then it is dangerous if they ingest some, as it can block them up. Newspaper works fine. The main thing with reptiles is a properly set up habitat and diet. A bag of premade food doesn't really exist. Other than that, their day to day care isn't that hard.  

LuvByrd

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:23 pm
Thanks guys! Though I'm rethinking, it may be better to wait until I don't live with my parents (which could be anywher between the age of 18 and.... 50?). The dogs and guinea pigs are mine, and I will be taking them with me. It'll be hard enough to find a place with them, without adding a lizard to the mix. Maybe one day though....

Of course, my parents say I can stay as long as I want when I'm older, and I get on with them pretty well.... Luckily, that leaves heaps of time to research!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:55 am
cresties i think are the easiest to care for. you have to be more careful with temps and humidity but they do great at room temp and females can be kept together and seem to enjoy the company. a 30gal will be fine for 2 adult females.

20gal high for the first gecko and add another 10gals per gecko imo

also diet with cresties is really easy, you dont need any live feeders and there are some great premade diets avaliable for them

my favorite cresty sites

i buy my food from this site, allen's food is one of the best
http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/

and this is my favorite breeder and one of the people i go to if i have any questions. i dont have any of her geckos but if i ever get another cresty i want it to be from her
http://www.jbscresties.com/  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

imderanged

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:01 am
I have both a Leopard gecko & a Beardie. In my opinion the leopard gecko is easier to care for and makes the best beginner lizard for someone who has never had reptiles. BUT (and it's not that I don't love my gecko) I think the Beardie is the more rewarding pet to have (for me) My gecko tolerates handling, but my Beardie seems to genuinely enjoy people. I really love the personalities of Beardies. For someone willing to do the research & put in the extra time & money, I think a Bearded Dragon could be a good first reptile.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games