Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Media
Old Navy Pride Shirts?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

fire_girl_1000

Durem Survivor

9,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:47 pm
So, pretty much Old Navy is selling t-shirts that will donate 10% of the sales to It Gets Better project. Thoughts?

http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/14254550/Old_Navy_and_LGBT_pride_month  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:22 pm
I think it's a good step. Especially about telling those people who hate it to take their business elsewhere rather than getting cheeky - it shows that they know how to handle it from a professional prospective.

They aren't available everywhere, which both proves problematic for the 'small town' homosexual and their supporters and proves that this has to be taken one step at a time. American attitudes don't change overnight but it shows that the pockets of most resistance are in the small towns - particularly the rural south and midwest.  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

fire_girl_1000

Durem Survivor

9,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:52 am
Le Scratch
I think it's a good step. Especially about telling those people who hate it to take their business elsewhere rather than getting cheeky - it shows that they know how to handle it from a professional prospective.

They aren't available everywhere, which both proves problematic for the 'small town' homosexual and their supporters and proves that this has to be taken one step at a time. American attitudes don't change overnight but it shows that the pockets of most resistance are in the small towns - particularly the rural south and midwest.

I agree. If they really do want to support us, then they should of just put them in the small towns and the bible belts - it could stir some more talks and maybe get things moving there.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:20 pm
fire_girl_1000
Le Scratch

I agree. If they really do want to support us, then they should of just put them in the small towns and the bible belts - it could stir some more talks and maybe get things moving there.
True. However, it also takes looking at it from a business prospective - while there are plenty of people in those large cities who will consider buying those shirts, there are far less such people in smaller towns. The added revenue in the cities helps counteract lost business from those who hate the gay rights movement, but in small towns there might be enough negative attention to force a store out of business. With the attitudes present and the economy still recovering, it's not worth the risk in capital.  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

fire_girl_1000

Durem Survivor

9,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:21 am
Le Scratch
fire_girl_1000
Le Scratch

True. However, it also takes looking at it from a business prospective - while there are plenty of people in those large cities who will consider buying those shirts, there are far less such people in smaller towns. The added revenue in the cities helps counteract lost business from those who hate the gay rights movement, but in small towns there might be enough negative attention to force a store out of business. With the attitudes present and the economy still recovering, it's not worth the risk in capital.

But then again, they can just pull them out from these stores. I think the goal is to once again, start talks, rather than to be swept under the rug like they usually do.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:26 am
While the shirt is for a good cause, I don't agree with it. Big retail chains like Old Navy shouldn't be getting involved in those types of controversial issues. It's basically taking the pro-LGBT side over the anti-LGBT side. Retail stores like that serve a wide clientele, and the shirt may offend many customers. If you're going to make a shirt for the pro-LGBT, then you have to create one for the anti-LGBT as well because it could be decried as discrimination against those who are anti-LGBT. Those are just my thoughts though. I'm uncomfortable with big retail chains promoting political views, because unless you have both sides involved, it discriminates against the opposing side. It doesn't really affect me though. I live in a small town, nowhere near an Old Navy. I also don't shop there either.  

Prince Ikari

Conservative Victory

ALonelyFallenStar

6,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:40 pm
kh.ikari
While the shirt is for a good cause, I don't agree with it. Big retail chains like Old Navy shouldn't be getting involved in those types of controversial issues. It's basically taking the pro-LGBT side over the anti-LGBT side. Retail stores like that serve a wide clientele, and the shirt may offend many customers. If you're going to make a shirt for the pro-LGBT, then you have to create one for the anti-LGBT as well because it could be decried as discrimination against those who are anti-LGBT. Those are just my thoughts though. I'm uncomfortable with big retail chains promoting political views, because unless you have both sides involved, it discriminates against the opposing side. It doesn't really affect me though. I live in a small town, nowhere near an Old Navy. I also don't shop there either.

I agree with you. Big name stores shouldn't be on one side as such. If they take the LGBT side, then anti-LGBT will stop shopping at Old Navy. I shop there for jeans mostly, but I would buy the shirt. Its nice they want to spread awareness but it can proove to be a bad idea.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:58 pm
ALonelyFallenStar
kh.ikari

I agree with you. Big name stores shouldn't be on one side as such. If they take the LGBT side, then anti-LGBT will stop shopping at Old Navy. I shop there for jeans mostly, but I would buy the shirt. Its nice they want to spread awareness but it can proove to be a bad idea.

I agree 100% with what you said.  

Prince Ikari

Conservative Victory

keizzlefoshizzle

5,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:47 pm
I really like the shirts biggrin I want one!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:55 pm
Prince Ikari
ALonelyFallenStar
kh.ikari

I agree 100% with what you said.

I think Old Navy has obviously considered that they will lose clients by making and selling the shirt. That is very brave for a big company to do such a thing and I am very appreciative. I see what you mean that a store taking sides could lead to trouble but it could also be good. It always takes just one to start the chain. What if all of the stores start selling pro-LGBT items then all of the anti-LBGT people will be backed in a corner and they will eventually die out because the younger generation is more open minded to homosexuality while the older generation isn't.  

keizzlefoshizzle

5,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Team Jacob 100

Yurdarkreverie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:15 pm
I want one! heart  
Media

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash