My tank is cracked!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Laurylina

Chatty Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:12 pm
I was cleaning out my tegu's 60-or-so-gallon tank when I noticed the bottom of the tank on the side with the heating pad had overheated and formed huge, deep cracks. Not to the point where it broke completely, the glass is still intact, but it was pretty bad. D: I unplugged the heating pad but there was no way I could remove it. Then my dad stuck duct tape on top of all the cracks before dumping the wood chips on top.

Is there any way I could repair it? I'm afraid that over time and heat the cracks could become more severe and I really can't afford to buy another huge tank. ._.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:29 am
Tape can be problematic, even if you put it under the substrate, because all it takes is for your reptile (I'm not sure if tegus are prone to burrowing or not) is to go under and then get stuck on the tape.

Use aquarium-grade silicone and seal it up that way. It'll take 72 hours or so to dry, so get some sort of backup habitat to keep your tegu in until it's all done (and, of course, while the silicone is drying don't use the heat pad in the tank).  

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200

Laurylina

Chatty Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:48 pm
My lizard likes to burrow halfway under the substrate when she sleeps (I'm not sure if she ever reaches the very bottom or not...but yeah I'll definitely look into getting that silicone.

Gosh darn it, I gave away her old tank last year! Dx I'll have to see if there's anyone who can lend me one in the meantime.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:55 pm

Food grade silicone will be cheaper, people use that on tanks with success.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Laurylina

Chatty Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:00 pm
Oh really? That's good to know. I'll probably check the exotic pet store in town anyway, but any chance it might be cheaper online?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:02 pm
Vanilla eXee

Hrm, you're right. I forgot that since this won't be holding water, it's not necessary to use aquarium-grade. Never thought of that!  

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:15 pm
Moth Feathers
Vanilla eXee

Hrm, you're right. I forgot that since this won't be holding water, it's not necessary to use aquarium-grade. Never thought of that!

Yupp. The main reason to use aquarium grade anyway is because you don't want chemicals leeching into the water from the silicone, food grade doesn't have those chemicals in it either. The strength is the same. There's also talk that as long as it says '100% silicone' then it's safe as well, but either way I would just go with the food grade.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:16 pm
Laurylina
Oh really? That's good to know. I'll probably check the exotic pet store in town anyway, but any chance it might be cheaper online?

You can find just about anything cheaper online, but depending on how much you need it might not be worth the shipping.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:28 am
if youre using a zoomed heat pad thats probably why,they over heat,I have ultratherm and it doesnt get too hot,only 90 degrees smile  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games