Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Mormon, and Celibate? Anyone Here?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DarkDaisuke9

9,800 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:02 pm
First of all, I am not Mormon. I was just curious if there were any Mormons here who gay and have chosen to follow the church's thingy, Law of Chasity. As Ive only met two gay people who have and that its. and both of them were old; late 30s and early 60s. Both found the church and pretty much felt it was right for them except later in life. I was curious if there was anyone young and planning to do this or whatever.Curiosity is all.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:50 pm
Not to propagate hate here and I know that gay Mormons do exist but... It seems that they're few enough that it's unlikely that we'd find any here.
Besides... The way that I look at things, at least here in the states, Mormons pretty much declared war on homosexuality itself, on a scale that is pretty grand even for a branch of Christianity. If you don't know what I'm referring to, I recommend watching "Eight: A Mormon Proposition," if you can get a hold of a copy. If you can't, then just search you-tube for Mormon Prop Eight commercials.
I wouldn't say that Mormons are a hate group like the WBC, but I can think of no other religion (aside from the WBC, of course) that is less tolerant in its beliefs and teaching toward gays than Mormonism.  

Matasoga

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:12 pm
I've never come across any. Then again, I live in Southern California; Mormons are also non-existent in my area.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:16 pm
what about Catholic's its against our religion to be gay bi or lesbian  

constantine15

6,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Signature Look 250

Wear Sunscreen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:40 pm
lgtenos
I've never come across any. Then again, I live in Southern California; Mormons are also non-existent in my area.

What Southern California do you live in? Mormons put Los Angeles on the map. There are SO many Mormons in Southern California.

For the record, I'm not Mormon. I am, however, a divinity student and I absolutely love Mormons. The LDS Church is sooo fascinating (albeit somewhat odd.)  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:13 am
Wear Sunscreen
lgtenos

What Southern California do you live in? Mormons put Los Angeles on the map. There are SO many Mormons in Southern California.

For the record, I'm not Mormon. I am, however, a divinity student and I absolutely love Mormons. The LDS Church is sooo fascinating (albeit somewhat odd.)

The non-Morman part.  

lgtenos
Vice Captain

Wear Sunscreen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:41 am
lgtenos
Wear Sunscreen
lgtenos

The non-Morman part.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/35/LDS_Percentage_of_Population_2000.PNG/800px-LDS_Percentage_of_Population_2000.PNG

You are just rolling in the blokes compared to where I live (Minnesota.)  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:08 pm
natsuo_youji_lover5
what about Catholic's its against our religion to be gay bi or lesbian

Well my ex's family is Catholic, and while the catholic church frowns on sexual activity outside of marriage, homosexuality is not a sin in their religion. If you are gay the church wants catholics to be sympathetic and understanding toward you. The church condemns the sin, not the sinner. If any thing, the catholic church is probably one of the most accepting Abrahamic establishments.  

Robbie-fyed

Beloved Lunatic

6,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200

constantine15

6,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:12 pm
well it depends witch type the church i go to 100% frowns upon it and always trys to keep laws from passing  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:33 am
I'm not Mormon. O: I'm Christian, but I identify as Protestant because that's the only type of church I'd attend (I attend a Methodist church atm). Personally I'm considering celibacy, but I think 16 years of age is too young to decide on such a big issue like that. But we'll see in time. (:

&& on the Catholic issue:
The Catholic church considers homosexuality a disorder if I'm not mistaken. o: I'm pretty sure it also considers it a sin.
http://www.catholic.com/library/Homosexuality.asp  

Visual Brian

6,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100

Wear Sunscreen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:56 am
I'm a Reform Jew. Its a little late for celibacy for me and I don't really plan on starting anytime soon because I enjoy having sex. There's nothing wrong with that - that's how its supposed to work.

To those who are considering celibacy I would say don't - that's not what religion is about. That is allowing a privileged person to control you and tell you what to do using hearsay evidence that came into existence thousands of years ago. At least in the Abrahamic tradition, religion is supposed to be liberating - a personal relationship with the one true God. I honestly don't think he cares if you like boys or girls or both or neither or everyone or no one. Ethical conduct is much more important.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games