Cowboy has a knack for hurting himself

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:51 pm
The FIRST damn day we get to the cottage, after swimming all day, I go up to the cottage with Cowboy to relax and see blood on his fur. Further inspection shows a HUGE gash on the inside of his leg just below his knee.

I was like, wow, good thing I've been working on this first aid kit which OF COURSE has no saline, no bactine, no clorehexidine, no vet wrap... Just benadryl, charcoal, gauze, and peroxide.

So I used the peroxide to clean cause it was ALL there was available. He was very behaved and calm. Tried to put gauze and tape, no good. So I trimmed the fur and used a band aid. Then wraped it in gauze and taped it. That kept slidding off. Finally my parents arrived, my dad had polysporin and went to pick up vet wrap. The vet wrap kept slidding down. So we decided just a bandaid should be fine. It wasn't bleeding, BUT you can see his muscle. So I want to protect it.

Left this morning with Cowboy went straight to work. Used the razor on his leg and put a new bandaid, that fell off eventually, just put another one.

I'm wondering if even though it's not bleeding it might need stitches. It's a good cm maybe 1.5cm gap of missing skin. And on top of that, nothing will STAY on it lol. What do you guys think? I'll try to post pics later. Next time the bandaid falls off lol. I think most clinics are equiped to do stitches right? Cause the emergency would be really expensive lol and he isn't favoring the leg, still wants to run and play etc.

Edit:
Cowboy sulking
User Image

Holding still for me to clean and bandage it
User Image

One of the first bandages
User Image

Here's the gash itself
User Image

It's 2cm long and 1cm wide. But because of the loose skin, unlike ours, it can actually be wider when he stretches etc. I'm trying to get the two ends of it to TOUCH, everything I've tried has fallen off so now I have a piece of medical tape on it, no gauze, just tape. I'm thinking a stitch or a staple will just get the edges to meet and allow it to heal much faster. Plus if I can't keep it covered it could get infected. So I'm calling the vet tomorrow.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:08 pm
I think that looks pretty deep, I would get stitches, or even glue.  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Krissim Klaw
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:32 am
It looks like it will probably need a couple stitches to close it. Personally, I would be real careful about trying to close something like that on your own. You have to be very careful with closing punctures like that because if they have even a little bit of bacteria in them they can get very nasty and fast without the proper drainage. Thus it is actually safer in a sense for it to remain open and aerated. The vet may not even close that type of wound thought it all depends.

On some cuts I would suggest a quick zip of super glue to pull the skin together and lock it in place, but that wound looks larger than I would suggest closing it up on your own on.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:56 am
Personally I would just leave it be, it's only a small wound and he should be able to look after it himself. Check daily to make sure it doesn't get infected or anything, but I think it will heal quickly and fully without stitches.

I have a collection of running dog injury pics that will make you feel really positive about this one, if you're interested in seeing some. XD  

Skeksis

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:31 am
@skeksis, yea it might.

I should also mention this happened Friday so I dunno that a vet would stitch such an old wound. I read in one of my books there's steri strips I think it's called to help pull the skin together.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:35 am
Riddle and friends have done that sort of injury to themselves many times. I always just leave it alone except to flush it once or twice a day with saline.  

SmoothSavage

Eloquent Gawker

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:27 am
I agree with Skeksis and Savage,at this point,they would probably just let it heal,maybe bandage it,definitely keep an eye out for infection,and also keep it clean,but,I have seen much worse,and they were fine wit just some antibacterial paste...  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:26 pm
I would just flush it a couple times a day with saline and see how he does.  

Whiskey On A Sunday

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:40 pm
Well I caved and took him to the vet, 5 staples and some antibiotics. I personally didn't see signs of infection but I guess with the staples now in they wanted to be extra cautious. Cost $260 but luckily dad picked up the bill for this one.

User Image

User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:18 am
Just a quick update to say it's healing really well now. I even played frisbee with him yesterday and the staples are still in place. I think I'll let him spend the day without his cone on. He doesn't seem to be bothering it any more. Just the first day, maybe he was just freaked out as to why it was numb lol.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces