Submit

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:27 am
I have 3 cats here. They all get the same amount of food. They're all spayed. Two of them are kind of fat, and have a few health problems. The other is thin and small, but is by far the healthiest of all my cats and has only really been sick once in her life.
Any ideas...?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:41 am
Free fed? Sometimes the big cats eat most of the food, sometimes cats just aren't that food driven, some cats have faster metabolisms. Whatever the case. I think measured seperate meals for all of them would be a good idea. Next check up ask your vet what a good weight for each cat would be. The "skinny" cat may actually be a healthy weight but just to be sure, and also to know how much the fat cats should lose. A lil excess fat on a cat increases risk of diabetes, kidney/liver disease, increased risk if they ever need surgery and honestly are just difficult to treat. Trying to find the muscle for an injection or a vein for an IV catheter on fat animals just makes it that much more difficult to get important things done quickly in emergencies.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:47 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Free fed? Sometimes the big cats eat most of the food, sometimes cats just aren't that food driven, some cats have faster metabolisms. Whatever the case. I think measured seperate meals for all of them would be a good idea. Next check up ask your vet what a good weight for each cat would be. The "skinny" cat may actually be a healthy weight but just to be sure, and also to know how much the fat cats should lose. A lil excess fat on a cat increases risk of diabetes, kidney/liver disease, increased risk if they ever need surgery and honestly are just difficult to treat. Trying to find the muscle for an injection or a vein for an IV catheter on fat animals just makes it that much more difficult to get important things done quickly in emergencies.

The strange part is it seems like my skinny cat eats more than any other cat. We let her outside, and she has learned her lesson not to leave, and she goes from eating outside to coming inside and going straight to the food bowl.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:58 am
iDiru
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

The strange part is it seems like my skinny cat eats more than any other cat. We let her outside, and she has learned her lesson not to leave, and she goes from eating outside to coming inside and going straight to the food bowl.

Is she the only one who goes out? It sounds like either she has a good metabolism, maybe naturally or maybe from being active. It's also a possibility that she has worms. Which reminds me I need to test Rascal soon because I KNOW he eats entire mice.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces