I went ALL OUT!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:52 pm
I posted a long time ago about compiling a first aid kit for the furries. Well I was taking my time with it. Buying one thing at a time. Trying not to spend too much money till everything else was paid off.

Well when I was at the cottage and Cowboy cut himself open and all I had was benadryl, charcoal pills peroxyde a holistic pain killer and some gauze. You can imagine it was a lil frustrating.

This weekend, I spent about 50 bucks and went a lil crazy.
Here's my first aid kit so far:
1 package 20 capsules of generic diphenhydramine (benadryl)
1 small bottle of peroxide (to make him puke in the event of swallowing something toxic.
1 rectal thermometer, digital.
1 small bottle of vaseline (lubricant for thermometer, yes KY is probably better but I already have this and it could be used for other things I suppose)
1 5cc syringe. (administration of peroxide if I don't have a spoon handy, Possibly use it wash with saline. I think I have a spare for administering half a dose of his revolution)
1 handful of activated charcoal (expired but I don't think charcoal ever really expires and there's non expired in my medicine cabinet but smaller dose pills) and 1 handful chinese herb painkiller. They're together in a plastic baggy right now I will probably separate them in lil containers.
1 bottle of 105ml pump spray bactine (antiseptic cleaning wounds burns bites etc)
1 can wound wash saline 90ml
1 box elastoplast heavy fabric tissue bandaids. (best bandaids, super sticky, worked well instead of vet wrap for those joint areas.)
1 box of steri strips (in case of another large gash to pull the skin together, same kind used in hospitals, my home vet handbook suggested it)
1 box of 10 5x6 compresses,
1 roll of self cling gauze.
And a dressing wrap, again, in case the injury is in a spot that vet wrap might not stay.

I ALSO got a mini travel first aid kit (it was made and profits go to a local rescue. It has a belt strap so good for hikes and such. The main kit will stay in my bathroom or if I travel with Cowboy I'll bring it but leave it in the car/campsite wtv.

So the travel kit has
1 vet wrap, small
gloves
tweezers (a.k.a thumb forceps lol)
medical tape
eye wash (saline, also good for wound washing)
roll of gauze
mini sizzors
2 iodine ointments (1g each)
2 sting relief pads
5 benzalkonium wipes
1 pamphlet on canine cpr and heimlich
4 large gauze pads.

Oh ya, and I have a stethoscope but that stays home lol.

OKAY! so what am I missing??? Calendula gel yes, I was not able to find any yet. I thought the vaseline might be an okay start. I am very tempted to buy a medical stapler in case of a real bad cut. Oh shoot, now I remember, buy store sells there disposable rubber booties which would be GREAT if he ever cuts a pad. I'll get those this weekend lol.

The sudden rush is not just because his recent injury but the cottage last weekend was the first of many trips Cowboy will take this summer. We're going camping next weekend I want to be RREEAADDYY for anything.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:01 pm
P.S I got the rubber booties today. Oh I'll have to get a photo they are ridiculous looking lol  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces