Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
LGBT?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Papurusuta

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:21 pm
LGBT but no S? well eventho i think ''straight'' people are kind of bi aswell  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:00 pm

It's because straight people have all the support in the world. Lesbians, Gays, bisexuals and transgenders DO NOT have all the support from the community. Adding an "S" to the LGBT would seriously piss some people off.

Mystic Requiem

Eloquent Fairy

13,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:14 pm
There's no need to add it. Heterosexual orientation is fairly universally accepted around the world, and as many of the problems the LGBT community faces are not present in the heterosexual community, the purpose of this guild is to provide support for issues many straight people do not face.

I do appreciate the thought, however.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:54 pm
You actually have a good point. Because technically, the B and the T can be heterosexual as well, so why not add the S? Only the L and G are of a different sexual orientation.  

Prince Ikari

Conservative Victory

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:33 pm
kh.ikari
You actually have a good point. Because technically, the B and the T can be heterosexual as well, so why not add the S? Only the L and G are of a different sexual orientation.
Once those are brought up, issues arise. A 'normal', in quotes for emphasis on the skewed perception of normality, person would never have to deal with the level of ridicule a person who is transgendered or bisexual might. Transgenderism is often condemned more than homosexuality, and bisexuality is mocked as being not real because it 'has to be one or the other', or closeted homosexuality and thus not a genuine thing.

Anyhow, the 'equality supporters' includes the entire spectrum - the guild isn't limited exclusively to those who are themselves LGBT and that is explicitly stated in the description. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:51 pm
Le Scratch
kh.ikari
Once those are brought up, issues arise. A 'normal', in quotes for emphasis on the skewed perception of normality, person would never have to deal with the level of ridicule a person who is transgendered or bisexual might. Transgenderism is often condemned more than homosexuality, and bisexuality is mocked as being not real because it 'has to be one or the other', or closeted homosexuality and thus not a genuine thing.

Anyhow, the 'equality supporters' includes the entire spectrum - the guild isn't limited exclusively to those who are themselves LGBT and that is explicitly stated in the description. 3nodding

A strait person wouldn't have to deal with the level of ridicule as a person who is bisexual or transgender, that is true. And I do know that transgenderism is condemned more than homosexuality. I've been through the ridicule myself back when I thought I might have been transgendered. I told a few people about it where I live and the guilt they made me feel was awful, that I stopped thinking about it.

Indeed it is stated. I just thought it was an interesting point he brought up was all.

Prince Ikari

Conservative Victory

Papurusuta

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:10 am
i see yea but khikari T and B are also considerd ''weird'' by idk who the fk made the rules about love  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:02 pm
It is an interesting point, certainly. No reason to add the S, but many straight people DO experience attraction to the same sex at some point. Estimates vary but it's generally accepted at between forty and seventy percent of people experience attraction, with up to twenty-five percent of those people engaging in some sort of same-sex sexual behavior at some point in their lives.  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

MaliSny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:27 pm
Eh, I don't think it should be added. I think that if LGBT was as accepted as straight is, then there wouldn't be a LGBT guild or anything. Because a lot of the world is still unaccepting to LGBT, whereas if your straight...well most assume you are without asking unless you specifically tell them otherwise.

..and besides, you can't add EVERY different orientation to the acronym. They don't have pansexual or genderless but LGBT just kind of stands for it all but straight imo.  
General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games