Getting a tank for desk at work :Pictures Pg 2: Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:15 am
Since I'm currently the only one without a tank , one of my co-workers is bringing me a 20g aquarium to put on my desk at work. I'm planning on guppies (my favorites) and maybe a rubber lip pleco. Any other ideas for fish?
And set-up. I've never had more then a 5g with 3 guppies and that was a self-contained unit with the filter built in.

:UPDATE:
The tank has arrived. Friday's project is getting it cleaned, and then I'll fill it on Monday. Then it's just a matter of cycling it and I can start brining in my fishies!

Tank is up and cycled. I've got a decent number of live plants that are doing well and the final stocking has been decided.
6 male guppies
3 otocinclus
4 ghost shrimp
Not enough to overburden the tank but enough to keep things interesting in there.

Put the guppies in the tank 6/15/11
5 are doing great, 1 died before I'd even had him 24hrs crying
Planning to add the ghost shrimp and oto's either saturday or sunday  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:31 am

I usually like to over filter. Get a hang on back filter rated for a 30g tank, keeps the water well oxygenated and there will be few dead spots. Probably a 100 watt heater and get a few cheap thermometers to measure the temp. Ask someone at work to trade their old filter media for the new one your filter will come with, and you can pretty much add fish right away. For substrate I love sand. A tight fitting hood will keep the water from evaporating too quickly and keep your fish from jumping out. The fish like having a photo period and if you want live plants it'll be a must anyway. If you're going to have male and female guppies, you might as well not add too many other types of fish since you'll have a population explosion soon enough.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:25 am
I'm doing male only guppies. Haven't decided on plants yet, and we've got a few 30g filters that I may be able to just snag. Everyone else has bettas that they keep in 5+g bowls/tanks without filters gonk But there is the office goldfish tank... Would that filter media be OK?

I think the tank I'm getting has a topper, if not I can make one in the time it will take to get it cycled and get my fish. I'm planning to put the Rubber Lip in first and then add my guppies a week or so later.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:12 pm

Yeah, the one from the goldfish tank should be more than fine. The plan sounds good. How many guppies are you getting? That will depend on how many other fish you can add, though a tank with guppies and a pleco will probably be amusing enough on it's own.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:31 am
I'm thinking between 4 and 6, a decent enough school that if I loose one or two the others will be OK.
I know the rubber lip will be a hoot. When I worked at PetSmart they were my favorites. I just didn't have space in my tiny tank.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:41 am
update in first post  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:32 am

Sweet! Ok, do you have or does anyone there have a freshwater testing kit that you can borrow for cycling your tank?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:15 am
Pretty sure we have them for the frogs. And we're setting up a new zebra fish room, so I'm sure we've got them around here somewhere. Time to ask the husbandry manager.
Oh yeah, I've got a 30g filter and a nice heater because they came as a set for the frogs and we always get extras in case of breakage, so free filter and heater for me blaugh  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:49 am
Thinking about doing a couple of live plans along with 1 or 2 plastic. What's a good substrate? I've got some gravel, and I can't do sand. Is there anything else?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:28 pm
You can get a planted tank substrate like Flourite or Eco-Complete. In fact, it's recommended to use those, at least if it's your first planted tank.  

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:57 am
Moth Feathers
You can get a planted tank substrate like Flourite or Eco-Complete. In fact, it's recommended to use those, at least if it's your first planted tank.

Thanks! I'll see if either of my local stores have them.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:56 pm
User Image

You should have three female guppies with every one male, having males only will cause fights and fin nipping.
Males get very territorial.

I suggest platties, they come in a verity of colors and they don't get violent like guppies.

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:07 am
Testicular Diabeetus
You should have three female guppies with every one male, having males only will cause fights and fin nipping.

I suggest platties, they come in a verity of colors and they don't get violent like guppies.

Really? I've never had that problem before. And I kept guppies for a couple of years. Admittedly that was in a smaller tank. But I wasn't aware that could be an issue. My boys always got along very well.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:06 pm
Shearaha
Testicular Diabeetus

Really? I've never had that problem before. And I kept guppies for a couple of years. Admittedly that was in a smaller tank. But I wasn't aware that could be an issue. My boys always got along very well.
User Image

It's a common problem that a lot of people have had.
I have had the problem and had to get rid of them due to all of the fighting.
Also if you keep just one female with a male, she will be over bred if you catch my drift.
she could die from exhaustion.
Hence why you should have three females to every one male.

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:04 am
Testicular Diabeetus
Shearaha
Testicular Diabeetus

It's a common problem that a lot of people have had.
I have had the problem and had to get rid of them due to all of the fighting.
Also if you keep just one female with a male, she will be over bred if you catch my drift.
she could die from exhaustion.
Hence why you should have three females to every one male.

Hmm, I've only ever kept males. Never had a single female. Would the absence of females decrease the territoriality? I mean are they just fighting over females and if there are no females there's no issue?  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff