Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
Alchemy I ~ (1/5) Open! (Introduction) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:42 pm
Professor of Alchemy
..........Ravenclaw Head of House
"The cycle of life only goes one direction,___________________________
not even alchemy can change that."

╔══════════════╗
Alchemy I
Lesson Two: Corrumpo Spell
Tuesday, Block One, 8:00am to 8:45am

╚══════════════╝

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Manually guiding the chalk to his uniquely sprawling script, Angel copied down the spell for the day and the page it appeared in their alchemical textbooks. Wiping his hands of any fine white residue, he turned his attention to the head of the class, waving a hand through the air with simple ease which had caused the classroom door to swing open, and then, the curtains upon every high arched window pulled to the side to let the light spill through and douse its rays upon the foliage nestled along the back walls of the circular room. ”Good afternoon, class, today we will be spell casting.

“This spell is a fairly simple charm, and, has been practiced now for hundreds of years and have changed in their uses over those years. For instance, before metalwork had ever been invented there were nomadic alchemists that often dealt with the melting of iron ore or, for the process of separating ore from other minerals, gems, or fossils, and then revitalize it with a spell you’ll learn in next class to use the pure iron ore in experimentation… Though, recently, it's uses are much more versatile.

“The Corrumpo spell can cast any metal to tarnish to rust, thus, creating an ease of access to burst though iron bars, mar an opponent’s shield, barricades, or weaponry, or, simply, destroy your friends bicycle, which, I don’t at all condone.”

“The wandwork is a bit difficult, so watch and repeat, with a swift wrist guide your wand in an even zigzag, absolutely make sure it is as even as possible going left, and then right, and left once again, failure to do so could cause the spell to to tarnish too much. Then thrust the point of the wand at the target and recite the incantation. Understand? The incantation is fairly simple, if you’ll repeat after me: cor-um-PEE-oh.

“Excellent, now, give it a go on the metal chain link I’ve summoned to your desks, if you need any help, please, don’t hesitate to ask.”

Juan Angel Amorocho
User Image User Image User Image

Quote:

Page Nine in Absolutely, Alchemy
Name of the spell: Corrumpo
Pronunciation of the spell: Corr-um-PEE-oh
Meaning behind the name: Corrumpo meaning: to break up, destroy, annhiliate / spoil, weaken
Effects of the spell: This spell causes any iron or iron based object to rust upon will.
Wand movements: With a swift wrist, form a zigzag line with the tip of the wand and then thrust it towards the object.
Distance requirement: Item must be within sight
Lasting effects: The effects last upon the object until the spell is reversed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:32 pm
Professor of Alchemy
"The cycle of life only goes one direction,

╔══════════════╗
Alchemy I
Lesson Three: Inveratus Spell

╚══════════════╝

"Welcome back class, today, we will begin with the counter to last class's spell...The counter charm: inveratus, essentially does the opposite of your last spell, if you come across iron that’s rusted, this will do the trick to reverse the effects." Juan stepped forward to demonstrate the wandwork, and the etymology behind the spell and then offered for the students to have a go on the rusted instruments on his desk."The trick, however, is not so much the wandwork (however that is just as important too,) but the thing about this spell is to remember that the way it is written is not how it sounds,

"Inveratus, when pronounced correctly, sounds like in-VET-er-a-tus."
He nodded slowly and glanced around the room to assure himself everyone was keeping on track. "Now, if you would all take a look in your textbooks, you'll notice the wandwork for this spell is entirely similar to that of the Corrumpo spell, with one distinct difference. With Corrumpo, you begin with the zigzag line and then thrust your wand, Inveratus, however, is the opposite. So you begin with a thrust and conclude with the pattern. So do be careful, this is rust, I’d advise you all to wear your gloves if you have them, if not, I have a box full right here you can use. You may begin practicing once you've copied the notes from your textbook.”

[Turn to page 10 in your textbooks.]

Juan Angel Amorocho

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:52 pm
Professor of Alchemy

╔══════════════╗
Alchemy I
Lesson One: Philosopher's Stone

╚══════════════╝

Angel stood, adjusted his crisp tailored suit then grasped his wand hidden in his inner breast pocket, a few silent swipes of his wand and his name began to write itself out on the board. When the clock had finally struck eight, his wand had been brandished once again to swish the door ajar to allow the students to file in. ”Ah, hola y bienvenidos,” Angel began in Spanish, with the same greeting as every year before. He continued in English once the majority of the students had arrived. ”Welcome to Alchemy, I am Professor Amorocho, I understand it may be a bit difficult to pronounce, as it is, professor is just fine.

"Alchemy is an ancient science that profusely studies the four basic elements: earth, fire, air, and water, but it's not literally translated to what you know water and fire is. It's.. symbolism, really, a physical adaptation of their respective archetypes. The four pillars of the world. In those days, it was believed that everything, everything above and below the earth was created of these four elements.

"Alchemy is as much a spiritual journey as any religion, however, in this class, we will be exclusively reviewing the practical means of alchemy. Now, that said, we will be learning charms, transfigurations, and potions in this class. Why? Because alchemy is a diverse branch of magic, there is no real definition for what constitutes as an alchemical spell or potion. It's... It's almost like a music genre. It's time of discovery and original creators are the reasons why certain spells are referred to as alchemical--it's just because of the time period it happened to be establish in.

“Moving on to the day's lesson, we are going to begin the year by briefly learning about the Philosopher’s Stone and its properties. One at time, tell me your name and house, and at least one fact or theory you know about the stone, or would like to know.”

Juan Angel Amorocho

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:26 pm
User Image
xxxxxMordred Taylor Seftonxxxxx
3rd Year Ravenclaw

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mordred took a seat and began taking notes as the professor introduced the subject at hand. When it came to his turn to introduce himself, Mordred stood and said, "I'm in Ravenclaw and I am Mordred Sefton. The Philosopher's Stone can be used to help create the Elixir of Life which extends someone's life span and it also can be used to change any metal into pure gold."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking: Witty

Interesting that your first thought goes towards dark matters,
And you're clever enough to determine
For yourself that I have seen my fair share of dark minds,
I know where to place you dear boy...
Ravenclaw!

{OoC: }
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:10 pm
User Image
                                                  I woke up, it was 7
                                                  I waited 'til 11
                                                  Just to figure out that no one would call.
                                                  I think I've got a lot of friends but I don't hear from them
                                                  What's another night all alone?
                                                  When you're spending everyday on your own.

User Image
                                                  ════════════════════════

Tʜɪʀᴅ Yᴇᴀʀ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ || Sᴇᴇᴋᴇʀ

════════════════════════

Rhys entered the classroom and took a seat, biting his lip as he looked over at Professor Amorocho. The last time he'd seen his head of house, he was being called into his office to discuss his behaviour. That wasn't going to happen this year, he reasoned. He sat down, getting out his supplies and writing down notes before he stiffened as he heard about giving his name, house, and something about the Philosopher's Stone. Swallowing, he stood up and shoved his hands into his pockets, knowing if nothing else, Amorocho already knew that he could speak, it was just a matter of getting him to say anything. "Umm, I-I'm Rhys H-Hamilton-Blake, and I'm i-in Ravenclaw. T-the Philosopher's S-stone, o-or at least the last one, was owned by Nicholas Flamel. He u-used it to extend his and his wife's life into nearly their seven-hundreds with its use. As he is t-the only person that made one within t-the last millenia, I a-assume that the t-technique to create it was l-lost with his d-death." He sat down, his face bright red from his speech. Why did he have to talk so much? It wasn't like Amorocho wanted a dissertation on the stone, it's potential properties, and the numerous attempts to create it.

════════════════════════

Thinking: Please let me just disappear...
                                                  OOC:

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

And maybe when the night is dead,
                                                  I'll crawl into my bed
                                                  I'm staring at these 4 walls again.
                                                  I'll try to think about the last time
                                                  I had a good time
                                                  Everyone's got somewhere to go
                                                  And they're gonna leave me here on my own.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:50 am
User Image
User Image

Liam waited impatiently for class to start. He knew much less about this topic than even the other electives he had never taken before, but he was excited to see what would come of his attendance here. When the professor began, the boy's attention was zeroed in on him as if he were the only person in the room.

When it came time for introductions, Liam stood next to his desk, one hand resting on the back of his chair.
"Good morning, Professor. I'm Liam Cade of Ravenclaw." He hesitated for a moment as he realized there was very little about this topic he already knew that hadn't yet been covered by the other students. "I'm curious to know whether the Philosopher's Stone is still in existence."

Re-situating himself back in his seat, the question lingered in his mind, and he considered the ethics of whether such an object should be allowed to continue to exist, if it in fact still did. Somehow he doubted it had yet to be hidden, or lost, or destroyed all together. This was a topic he had only barely heard of before, and the potential for acquiring such interesting knowledge so early in the class made his fingertips warm with excitement.

User Image

Porcelaine Ivory

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:52 pm
Professor of Alchemy

╔══════════════╗
Alchemy I

╚══════════════╝

Seated on the edge of his desk, Professor Amorocho cast an eager gaze around the classroom to see who would speak first. It was usually a Ravenclaw, he found. And this year held true to that tradition. He nodded after Sefton's comment before veering around to the troublemaker from last year. But the boy was just as a shy and scared of his own shadow as he'd been on his sorting day, if the professor remembered correctly. And certainly not the brazen little boy he'd been last year that went traipsing into the Forbidden Forest. The professor only hoped that whatever did happen, had been for the best. And if not, well, at least he'd be able to keep an eye on Rhys when he's in his class. ”Very good, five points to Ravenclaw for each of you for participation.”

When he was faced with the question by the young Cade boy, the professor sighed sadly and said, ”No. The Philosopher's Stone you will read about in your textbooks had been ultimately destroyed, as best agreed upon by Albus Dumbledore and Nicholas Flamel. They deemed it too great a threat. If someone like Voldemort had gone after it's power once, it was very likely that the same would happen again. Sometimes, the world just isn't ready for something with that kind of power... With that said, I expect you to read Chapter Three in your textbooks and write a half foot essay on the history of the stone which will be due next class. You are dismissed.” He nodded to the class, then paused and added as an after thought, ”Oh, and five more points to Ravenclaw, for Mister Cade's inquiry.”

Juan Angel Amorocho

[OOC: next class you only have to post either "handing in the homework", or for extra credit house points, add a 2-3 sentence essay somewhere in your post.]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:57 pm
Professor of Alchemy
"The cycle of life only goes one direction,___________________________

╔══════════════╗
Alchemy I

╚══════════════╝

Manually guiding the chalk to his uniquely sprawling script, Angel copied down the spell for the day and the page it appeared in their alchemical textbooks. Wiping his hands of any fine white residue, he turned his attention to the head of the class, waving a hand through the air with simple ease which had caused the classroom door to swing open, and then, the curtains upon every high arched window pulled to the side to let the light spill through and douse its rays upon the foliage nestled along the back walls of the circular room. ”Good afternoon, class, if you haven't already dropped off your homework at my desk, please do so now... Today we will be spell casting.

“This spell is a fairly simple charm, and, has been practiced now for hundreds of years and have changed in their uses over those years. For instance, before metalwork had ever been invented there were nomadic alchemists that often dealt with the melting of iron ore or, for the process of separating ore from other minerals, gems, or fossils, and then revitalize it with a spell you’ll learn in next class to use the pure iron ore in experimentation… Though, recently, it's uses are much more versatile.

“The Corrumpo spell can cast any metal to tarnish to rust, thus, creating an ease of access to burst though iron bars, mar an opponent’s shield, barricades, or weaponry, or, simply, destroy your friends bicycle, which, I don’t at all condone.”

“The wandwork is a bit difficult, so watch and repeat, with a swift wrist guide your wand in an even zigzag, absolutely make sure it is as even as possible going left, and then right, and left once again, failure to do so could cause the spell to to tarnish too much. Then thrust the point of the wand at the target and recite the incantation. Understand? The incantation is fairly simple, if you’ll repeat after me: cor-um-PEE-oh.

“Excellent, now, give it a go on the metal chain link I’ve summoned to your desks, if you need any help, please, don’t hesitate to ask.”

Meaning behind the name: Corrumpo meaning: to break up, destroy, annhiliate / spoil, weaken
Effects of the spell: This spell causes any iron or iron based object to rust upon will.
Wand movements required to perform properly: With a swift wrist, form a zigzag line with the tip of the wand and then thrust it towards the object.

Juan Angel Amorocho

[OOC: you only have to post either "handing in the homework", or for extra credit house points, add a 2-3 sentence essay somewhere in your post.]

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Porcelaine Ivory

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:00 am
User Image
User Image

Drawing little attention to his presence, Liam situated himself in an empty desk near the center of the room, his rucksack slumped on the floor beneath the table. Flipping to a blank page in his notebook, he began to copy down the information that had been applied to the board before the professor even began his lecture. As the lesson began, he continued to take notes, his mind wandering to the many valuable uses that this spell could have.

When they were granted the freedom to practice the spell, Liam repeated the incantation under his breath a few more times as he tugged his wand from the pocket inside his robes. Feeling comfortable and confident, he carefully imitated the professors zigzag motion before thrusting the tip of his wand at the small chunk of chain link that sat in the center of his desk.
"Cor-um-PEE-oh!" On demand, the metal quickly deteriorated, oxidizing in an instant and leaving the chain encrusted in an orangish-brown residue. He was both please and amazed at the results, picking up the heavy target in his fingers and analyzing the aftermath. He could feel the rust rubbing off onto his fingertips, leaving them smooth and painted once he set the entwined links back down.

Rubbing his fingers together, Liam gazed at the floor, his mind wandering to ways he could make good use of this particular spell.

User Image

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 9:17 am
Professor of Alchemy
..........Juan Angel Amorocho
..................Ravenclaw Head of House
"The cycle of life only goes one direction, ......................

User Image

╔══════════════╗
Alchemy I

╚══════════════╝

Angel stood, adjusted his crisp tailored suit then grasped his wand hidden in his inner breast pocket, a few silent swipes of his wand and his name began to write itself out on the board. When the clock had finally struck eight, his wand had been brandished once again to swish the door ajar to allow the students to file in. ”Ah, hola y bienvenidos,” Angel began in Spanish, with the same greeting as every year before. He continued in English once the majority of the students had arrived. ”Welcome to Alchemy, I am Professor Amorocho, I understand it may be a bit difficult to pronounce, as it is, professor is just fine.

"Alchemy is an ancient science that profusely studies the four basic elements: earth, fire, air, and water, but it's not literally translated to what you know water and fire is. It's.. symbolism, really, a physical adaptation of their respective archetypes. The four pillars of the world. In those days, it was believed that everything, everything above and below the earth was created of these four elements.

"Alchemy is as much a spiritual journey as any religion, however, in this class, we will be exclusively reviewing the practical means of alchemy. Now, that said, we will be learning charms, transfigurations, and potions in this class. Why? Because alchemy is a diverse branch of magic, there is no real definition for what constitutes as an alchemical spell or potion. It's... It's almost like a music genre. It's time of discovery and original creators are the reasons why certain spells are referred to as alchemical--it's just because of the time period it happened to be establish in.

“Moving on to the day's lesson, we are going to begin the year with a discussion about the Philosopher’s Stone and its properties. One at time, tell me your name and house, and at least one fact, theory, or opinion you have about the stone, or would like to know more about.”

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

The Shiny Furret

Merry Muse

4,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:48 am
User Image
User Image
𝑔𝓇𝓎𝒻𝒻𝒾𝓃𝒹𝑜𝓇 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓇𝒹 𝓎𝑒𝒶𝓇𝓈 𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒𝓃𝒸𝓁𝒶𝓌

The Umber twins marched into the Alchemy classroom, both rather excited for this class. As they took their seats and prepared for note taking, or the lack thereof, they made a note that their new professor had greeted them in Spanish, not English. Interesting. The professor then began to explain just what alchemy was, being a mixture of Charms, Transfiguration and Potions. The twins both seemed to gulp nervously at the same time. Kiley was excellent at Transfiguration, but horrid at Potions, while Kimberly was the exact opposite. The way the professor talked about the subject really inspired the both of them. When he asked for introductions and questions or comments, the pair stood up together. "Kimberly Umber, Gryffindor, and I'd like to know how the stone was made," the first twin said before the second spoke up. "Kiley Umber, Ravenclaw, and I'd like to know what properties the stone has in terms of usage." The girls sat back down, looking towards the professor as they waited for answers to their questions.

She won't get off the phone. She won't leave me alone when I'm talking to that guy.
                                                              She can be a real nightmare. Gets me to do her hair, then says it never turns out right.
                                                              But when I put on a face, she can tell 'cause she knows me so well.
                                                              Closer than my closer friend, someone will be there 'til the end. My sister, sister.
                                                              Deeper than the deepest sea. No one loves you like your family. My sister, sister.

x x x x x

OOC: . . .

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:38 am
Professor of Alchemy

User Image
╔══════════════╗
Alchemy I

╚══════════════╝

Manually guiding the chalk to his uniquely sprawling script, Angel copied down the spell for the day and the page it appeared in their alchemical textbooks. Wiping his hands of any fine white residue, he turned his attention to the head of the class, waving a hand through the air with simple ease which had caused the classroom door to swing open, and then, the curtains upon every high arched window pulled to the side to let the light spill through and douse its rays upon the foliage nestled along the back walls of the circular room. ”Good afternoon, class, today we will be spell casting.

Wand movements required to perform properly: With a swift wrist, form a zigzag line with the tip of the wand and then thrust it towards the object.

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:29 am
Today's Class

Lesson One

Chapter Two, Introduction to Alchemy

Assignment for Next Class:

Read Chapter Three, The Philosopher's Stone and write one foot essay on a brief summary of what you read in preparation for next class.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:30 am
Professor of Alchemy

User Image
╔══════════════╗
Alchemy I
Lesson One: Introduction

╚══════════════╝

Closing the book to rest on his desk, the Ravenclaw Head of House counted heads trying to decide if most of the students had arrived. But, the clock tower chimed the start of the class and greeted his students with a deep, soothing voice. ”Ah, hola y bienvenidos,” Angel began in Spanish, the same greeting as every year before. Then he continued in English. ”Welcome, I am the Ravenclaw Head of House and the Professor of Alchemy, Ángel Amorocho. I understand it may be a bit difficult to pronounce, as it is, professor is just fine." Nodding conclusively, he clasped his hands together and moved to lounge against the front of his desk. "Alchemy has been practiced in Greco-Roman Egypt, the Islamic world during the Middle Ages, and then in Europe from the 13th to the 18th centuries. During that time, it has evolved in various ways. The Emerald Tablet was considered the building block of alchemy, it's been transcribed dozens of times over different languages. The hard to interpret layers of different meanings in the text was what lead to laboratory experimentation, phase transition, the alchemical magnum opus, the ancient, classical, and element system for alchemy. Not only that, but it's believed to hold the secret key to creating the philosopher's stone: the transmutation of the prima materia, That is, the "fifth" element, or quintessence. For an easier understanding, it's what some might consider, "soul" or "life", that unique substance, whatever you may call it." He paused, not only to catch his breath but to let this new information absorb.

"Of course, that's quite advanced for you lot. In this class, we will be studying the four basic elements, earth, fire, wind, and water, as well as the study of transmutations and potionmaking. But now, I would like each of you to read the second chapter in your books, then stand, tell me your name and house and your opinion on how you interpret the Emerald Tablet. It doesn't have to be mind-blowing. Just tell me what you think it means? Or why do you think it's been so revered by alchemists, even after all these years? Or even why you think it shouldn't be. There's no wrong answers here."  

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Graydon Ironshield

Colorful Codger

1,050 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:11 pm
User Image
Fianna Grey
Gryffindor Third Year Thirteen Years OldSingle

It was on Linny's recommendation that caused Fianna to even attempt taking Alchemy. She knew her cousin adored Professor Amarocho, whom had taken over Professor Barrington's teaching duties on top of everything else he did, and Linny told her that once one understood Alchemy everything else, such as Charms, Potions and Transfigurations, was made so much the easier for it. she just hoped it wouldn't make her red hair turn gray prematurely.

"I'm Fianna Grey, from Gryffindor House," she said, after standing up, figuring she'd take a stab at answering his question. "Um, the Emerald Tablet is like the ultimate cookbook; you can make everything from anything if you can figure out the recipe." She just hoped she didn't say something completely stupid.

OOC:
Username

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
                  Turn your magic on, to me she'd say
                  "Everything you wants a dream away
                  We are legends, every day"
                  That's what she told me

Turn your magic on, to me she'd say
                  "Everything you wants a dream away
                  Under this pressure, under this weight
                  We are diamonds"

Third Year Classes