Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:29 am
this is about my friend's dog

becasue her dad doesnt want to do tough love with their westie the dog eats fried chicken for her main meals. my friend wants to put a stop to this but now the dog wont touch dog food and as i said, her dad doesnt want to do tough love.

well she wants to try and do some homemade meals but feels uncomfortable with raw. does anyone have any links or advice i can ive her on cooking for her dog?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:03 pm
Oh hell... I hate it when people won't man (or woman) up and realize that a dog is not a human. I could say all sorts of things about how your friend's dad needs to wake up and realize the Westie is a dog, not a person, and that fried foods are TERRIBLE for it! Never mind the bones if there are any. That kind of thing just makes me so mad. But I shall refrain because that is not what you're wanting out of me. ^^;

But FRIED chicken? That Westie is doomed to diabetes/other health problems if that keeps up... Oh Lord the terrible fats and salts... D;
Have a look at this site for starters. Looks like it has some helpful outlinks, including one at the bottom that will take you to a different site; my only issue with that site is that it asks for an email address and I know some people aren't kosher with that kind of thing, even if the site is harmless. I dunno for sure on the nutritional profiles of the recipes, though.

Your friend should talk to their veterinarian, too. Have Friend's Dad and Friend take the Westie to the vet together and have them inquire after homemade canine foods or resources for the same. I'm always a little skeptical with vets, but that's why there are second and third and so on opinions.

I am glad that she's a little hesitant with raw. It does take a lot of research to make sure it's done right. Has she looked into buying premade raw foods? Like Stella and Chewy's or Vital and the like?  

Eizoryu

d i m i r h e x

7,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:08 pm
Before my dog Cookie died she was also dog food intolerant.
We were given a recipe by our veterinarian:

• 1OO% ground beef.
  • White rice.
  • Peas and carrots.
  • Red beans.

This was all cooked food by the way.

We always made enough to last for a week so we could take out the desired amount, reheat it then refrigerate the rest until the next day.
In took about an hour and a half to prepare and cook her food for the entire week.

Here are is are some articles I pulled up:
Dog food recipes.
Dog Food recipes

I hope that helps you!  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:12 pm
We also bought Fresh Pet Select to mix in with her home made meals as well.
It worked for us. ^_^  

d i m i r h e x

7,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:59 pm
Eizoryu
Oh hell... I hate it when people won't man (or woman) up and realize that a dog is not a human. I could say all sorts of things about how your friend's dad needs to wake up and realize the Westie is a dog, not a person, and that fried foods are TERRIBLE for it! Never mind the bones if there are any. That kind of thing just makes me so mad. But I shall refrain because that is not what you're wanting out of me. ^^;

But FRIED chicken? That Westie is doomed to diabetes/other health problems if that keeps up... Oh Lord the terrible fats and salts... D;
Have a look at this site for starters. Looks like it has some helpful outlinks, including one at the bottom that will take you to a different site; my only issue with that site is that it asks for an email address and I know some people aren't kosher with that kind of thing, even if the site is harmless. I dunno for sure on the nutritional profiles of the recipes, though.

Your friend should talk to their veterinarian, too. Have Friend's Dad and Friend take the Westie to the vet together and have them inquire after homemade canine foods or resources for the same. I'm always a little skeptical with vets, but that's why there are second and third and so on opinions.

I am glad that she's a little hesitant with raw. It does take a lot of research to make sure it's done right. Has she looked into buying premade raw foods? Like Stella and Chewy's or Vital and the like?

her dad is nice, but he likes sucking up to animals a bit too much and technicly he is her grandfather so i guess he is happy and view the dog as the new baby in the house

her dad wont take the dog to the vet, its her dog so she has to do all the work for it, he just gets mad at her if she does anything the dog doesnt like.

@d i m i r h e x
thanks for the links! very helpful. ill email them to her later  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:04 pm
She should visit the forum http://www.dogfoodchat.com/forum

Those people know loads about pet foods. I know a lot about raw, but sadly very little about cooked diets. I would NOT recommend talking to a regular vet about it, most vets don't know either. For example, even though I don't feed cooked, I can see some glaring deficiencies in the recipe posted in this thread... like zero calcium.  

SmoothSavage

Eloquent Gawker

Skeksis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:39 am
Creating a balanced cooked diet is more complicated than creating a balanced raw diet due to the most obvious limitation: no bones for calcium. And other things are destroyed by the cooking process. How many meals does the dog have every day and how many will be homecooked? Is the homecooked food the only food the dog will be having?

My grandfather used to do a lot of homecooking for his juks, they got boneless meat [chicken or lamb] with vegetables and rice all stewed up together. It's not balanced enough to be a complete diet [lacks calcium, I think his dogs got raw meaty bones as well] but it sure as heck better than fried chicken. Adding a supplement such as Di-vetelact would make it a higher quality food. Bone meal [human quality] could be added. Eggs, too.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:39 am
thanks for the tips, i didnt even think of calcium  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash