Fishy Update (bad news/good news pg2) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Krissim Klaw
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:23 pm
A petstore down here is having a grand opening later this month and the 1st 250 customers get large gift bags that include such lovelies as a ten gallon tank and beta.

I love betas, have had them in the past and have been longing for another for a while so this seems like the perfect excuse to go for one. It has been a while since I had one though and this will be my first time going for a ten gallon set up for a beta so I am wondering what suggestions I should go with especially with filtration. There are also some lovely coupons to purchase extra goodies for the tank. I know these guys like delicate filtration systems so any brand suggestions? Also, is a ten gallon big enough to do any live plants. This store apparently has a massive aquarium section (They even have a special display with eels and some sharks). I've always been curious about doing something with live plants, but if it is too difficult or needs a larger set up than a ten gallon let me know. I have no problems sticking to fake plants if need be.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:32 pm
Live plants are great! Java Moss and Java Fern are easy plants. Moss Balls are easy too. Aponogenton, Anicharis, Dwarf Lillies, Water Wisteria, Moneywort, and Hornwort are all easy too, and rather forgiving to those who are just starting out. I have done all of these, except the Lilly, in as little as 3 gallons. To keep a Lilly in a 10 gallon, it would need to trimmed often, as its a very fast grower, as are Aponogenton, Wisteria and Hornwort.

Anicharis, Wisteria, Moneywort and Hornwort can all be trimmed and replanted to make new plants. 3nodding

Filters are easy to slow down. You can stuff them with filter sponge, cover the out put with a cut up soda bottle, use floating plants. The possibilities are endless.  

Akari_32

Krissim Klaw
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:56 pm
Thank you for the info. I think I am going to do some research on those plants. I would love to get a nice simple natural looking set up. I figure since I am going to keep things simple with one fish, I can put in a little bit more research time/work into the environment part of the tank.

I was just doing some side research and saw the info on how easy it is to modify a filters for betas. Still, do you have any suggested brands that produce good aquarium products? It has been number of years since I've had a fishy friend so I feel out of the loop.

The store technically opens the day before the weekend give away so I am planning to go there the day before and scope out the place and pick up some things. I might end up passing on the free beta the day of the give away. They are so cheap so it might be easier to wait and get my tank going how I like it before bringing in the fish. I mean I got several ten gallon tanks, a twenty gallon tank or my five or 2 1/2 tank I could set up one prior for him to stay in till I get the main tank going, but I'm not sure if I want to do the extra work juggling things around. In theory I could start setting up one of my ten gallons now... but I sort of wanted to get a new shiny free ten gallon with no scratches to start fresh with. I'm getting so excited. whee  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:07 pm
AquaClear filters are great. They are adjustable. They come with carbon, bio-max and sponge, but you really only need the sponge (and they dont need to be changed, just rinsed every few months in syphoned tank water). An AquaClear 20 would be good for a 10 gallon.  

Akari_32

SmoothSavage

Eloquent Gawker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:05 pm
They... they... they are giving away bettas with TEN GALLON tanks? Oh wow! That sounds like a stellar pet store right there, no dinky bowls for the bettas!  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:39 pm
That is what I thought when I saw it Savage. I am guessing they are hoping to make back all that money selling lovely tank supplies to fill said ten gallon tank, but still so epic. No rinky dink bowl not even a five gallon but a ten. whee

There is also a bunch of lovely free dog, cat, and even some small critter stuff with the gift bag. I'm pretty excited to check the place out. It looks like they are also going to be carrying a lot of the higher quality dog foods, which will be nice since the other specialty store I have to go to is much further from my house.  

Krissim Klaw
Crew

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:13 am

gonk where is this place?!?!?!

Akari gave you some awesome advice. I mostly use tetra whisper filters because they're cheap, and as long as the motor doesn't blow then they last forever and it's easy to trouble shoot any problems. I seriously have one that is at least 10 years old and it still works. They come with a cartridge that's just a floss pouch with a plastic frame and carbon inside. After the carbon has done all it can do, I dump it and reuse the pouches. Eventually those pouches do start to deteriorate, when that happens I toss the pouch and keep the frame, then use some of this neat filter sock material to make a new pouch.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:17 am
Vanilla eXee

gonk where is this place?!?!?!

THATS WHAT I WUNNA KNOW!!  

Akari_32

Krissim Klaw
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:11 pm
Hahaha either of you live in Florida?

I have been doing some more research over the last day or so. I am really loving the look of the Java Fern you mentioned Akari. I think that will be my first go at living plants. From what I read it is not a plant you bury in the gravel but instead will allow its roots to attach to stones/driftwood so on. What lighting would you suggest for it in a ten gallon tank to best suit Java fern? I've read it prefers low light settings so what would be the best light to get for it that won't risk burning or damaging its leaves?

I would like to go for a natural looking set up so I'm going to go with earthy looking colors and tank ornaments that resemble fallen logs and some perhaps natural stones. This brings me to another question, how hard is it to do sand in an aquarium. I've always liked the look of it, but how much harder is it than say gravel?

Another question, yes, I know I have so many, is over a heater. Any suggestions on that, what type and brand is best and safest for my beta in a ten gallon tank?

Finally, the last thing I was looking in was a potential algae eater/clean up crew helper. I'm really not interested in adding any other fish to the mix. I prefer to keep things simple and give my boy the run of tank. Thus, I was looking into either possibly adding one or two zebra snails or potentially some ghost shrimp. From what I've read, the zebra snails can't reproduce in your typical tank setting and need brackish water so no worries about them overtaking the tank like some snail species. It also seems they do well with live plants?

Then there is the ghost shrimp. I've read mixed reviews on them with betas. It seems some betas won't fuss with them, while others may discover they make tasty snakes and decide to nom them. Does it really mater either way? The shrimp themselves are very cheap so if my boy does decide they are tasty it isn't like I am going to be out a lot of money. I assume there is no detrimental effects to a beta eating said shrimp? On the other fin (shot for bad pun) if he doesn't fuss with them, it sounds like they are great cleaners and also not something that tends to bother live plants?

Later, I need to run down to my barn and see what filter I have. I am pretty sure a few years back I had gotten a filter for a ten gallon tank, and I am sort of thinking it was an aqua clear. I will have to see...  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:49 pm
Krissim Klaw
Hahaha either of you live in Florida?

xD We both live in Florida.

Sand is doable, I use sand exclusively because it's easier to clean than gravel and it looks so much better. You can use play sand, pool filter sand, or all purpose sand. The brand I like is quikrete and I usually use their playsand, although they seem to have changed it to a different type, so I think if I had to do it again I would try the all purpose. You have to make sure to wash the sand thoroughly before use to get all of the dust out. The easiest way to do this is to put it in a bucket, fill the bucket with water, swish it around, pour out the water/dust and just keep doing that until there water is mostly clear when you pour/swish.

Rather than fake logs, a nice piece of driftwood would look beautiful in that theme and it'll help keep your water softer.

The plastic and metal heaters are safer than the glass ones for YOU and your fish (glass can shatter and then the electrical elements will be exposed to the water), but I think there's also a potential for the plastic ones to melt and cause the same problem. For that reason, always unplug your heater before doing any type of tank maintenance. Technically you're supposed to unplug everything before sticking your hands in there. The nerites (zebra) are a good snail choice, I don't have them but Akari does so she can tell you all about those little cuties. The main type of snails to "worry" about are what we commonly call "pond" snails. These guys often get into your tank by laying their eggs on plants at the store. A good way to prevent them from getting in is to give your plants a quick bleach dip (standard 1:9 bleach:water), then just rinse them in water with extra dechlorinator.

Ghost shrimp are fine with bettas. They seem to be pretty good at staying alive even if the fish in the tank have an interest in them. The plants and other hiding spots will keep them safe, and if eaten as long as they are disease free there will be no harm done for your betta. They won't mess with your plants other than to eat dead leaves, which is a good thing. The snails should do that as well.

Java Fern will live in low lighting, but having medium light (or high light with them planted in the shade) will help them grow faster, same with java moss. The cool thing about java fern is that even if it does start to die off, usually the leaves themselves will turn into a rhizome and you'll see tiny baby leaves growing on them. Kind of like a phoenix growing from it's own ashes.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Krissim Klaw
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:10 pm
Vanilla eXee

Lol, I was pretty sure you live in Florida but I think you live higher up in the state.

Thank you for all the info. I'll have too see which way I want to go with the shrimp or snails. All this reading I'm doing though I am tempted to perhaps splurge and go with a 20 gallon tank. I got a nice spot for a 20 gallon, though I will have to move my mantis screen tank. I feel bad, I had my father build me a huge mantis cage a number of years ago when I was first starting out, but it really doesn't get any use. I discovered for a number of reasons I don't trust the metal screen with mantises. The cage itself is also a pain to get into and clean since it is so big and has a top lid. I don't know, perhaps I should see how hard it would be to rip the metal screen out and see if we could put in a fabric mesh instead? I just don't want the cage rotting away but a 20 gallon would be a lot more fun to decorate. =o Hahaha I should note though if I get a 20 gallon I am still only planning on a beta. =p  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:16 pm
Krissim Klaw
Vanilla eXee

Lol, I was pretty sure you live in Florida but I think you live higher up in the state.

Thank you for all the info. I'll have too see which way I want to go with the shrimp or snails. All this reading I'm doing though I am tempted to perhaps splurge and go with a 20 gallon tank. I got a nice spot for a 20 gallon, though I will have to move my mantis screen tank. I feel bad, I had my father build me a huge mantis cage a number of years ago when I was first starting out, but it really doesn't get any use. I discovered for a number of reasons I don't trust the metal screen with mantises. The cage itself is also a pain to get into and clean since it is so big and has a top lid. I don't know, perhaps I should see how hard it would be to rip the metal screen out and see if we could put in a fabric mesh instead? I just don't want the cage rotting away but a 20 gallon would be a lot more fun to decorate. =o Hahaha I should note though if I get a 20 gallon I am still only planning on a beta. =p

Lol, yeah I live up North, but I'm pretty sure Akari lives down south. If you can't come up with a workable solution then you could try selling the cage and then either split the money with your dad or use it to go to dinner together or something nice like that.

I raised a betta in a 20g by herself one time, she loved it and her fins grew bright/long enough to even rival a males. Although if you have a lot of plants and only one fish you may have to look into ferts for the plants. Or we might have to convince you to get a pleco as well since most of the main fish keepers here have and love them. Are you thinking a standard 20, or 20 long?

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Krissim Klaw
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:36 pm
Vanilla eXee

Lol, yeah I live up North, but I'm pretty sure Akari lives down south. If you can't come up with a workable solution then you could try selling the cage and then either split the money with your dad or use it to go to dinner together or something nice like that.

I raised a betta in a 20g by herself one time, she loved it and her fins grew bright/long enough to even rival a males. Although if you have a lot of plants and only one fish you may have to look into ferts for the plants. Or we might have to convince you to get a pleco as well since most of the main fish keepers here have and love them. Are you thinking a standard 20, or 20 long?
I am thinking 20 long. Thing is I have a 20 long on my floor for my feeder crickets. It is not for water so I would still need to buy a new one, but I am used to that size and I think looking at a 10 gallon is going to feel so measly. I don't know, I am going down to the barn in a bit to see what stuff I already have. If I have a hood and working filter for a ten gallon down there then I will probably go ahead with a ten since the only thing I will need is a heater. If I decide later on I want to upgrade to a 20 it won't be like I will loose a lot of money in the process if I don't need to buy a bunch of stuff now that will only work for the 10.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:59 pm
Seems like Nilla's got this pretty under controll lol

We both live in Florida lol I'm actually moving to north Florida in a month XD

For algae (if you dont want fish), Nerite (Zebra) Snails are awesome. And cute =3 They dont bother my plants, like my Mystery Snails do (Mysteries eat plants, little turds -_-). If you do want fish, a school of Otto's would be great for a 20 long. They are sensative to water conditions, so they need to be added last.

Dunno anything about sand, but driftwood would look awesome in a heavily planted, sand bottomed tank. I do know that sand needs to be stired up, or you need to get something that stirs it up for you. MTS are great little snails that live in the substrate and stir it up, while eating left over food. Corries also stir up sand, but in a 10 gallon, your options are limited. Pygmy Corries would work though. In a 20 long, you could do any kind that stayed under 2 1/2 inches.

The Tetra Brand pre-set heaters are great (unless you want to fight ich without meds, then they suck LOL). They are cheap too. I got the 2-15 for about $12 and the 10-30 for about $19. Tetra has a great warentee, so if it doesnt work, you can send it back to them and they'll send you a new one. This last for two years, I think.

Terra Cotta pots are very versital in the aquarium.

Ghost shrimp are a hit and miss. They can eat the Betta's fins if they dont get enough to eat. And Bettas can eat them if they dont get enough to eat.  

Akari_32

Krissim Klaw
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:30 pm
Akari_32
Seems like Nilla's got this pretty under controll lol

We both live in Florida lol I'm actually moving to north Florida in a month XD

For algae (if you dont want fish), Nerite (Zebra) Snails are awesome. And cute =3 They dont bother my plants, like my Mystery Snails do (Mysteries eat plants, little turds -_-). If you do want fish, a school of Otto's would be great for a 20 long. They are sensative to water conditions, so they need to be added last.

I think I will go with the snails then. I love snails they are so cute. <3

I do indeed have a hood for a ten gallon. I also have a filter pump looks to be a top fin. I am going to have to try cleaning it out and plugging it in to see if it still works.

I'm will also have to do some calculating when it comes to cash and figuring out what it is going to cost me. The other reason I am seriously thinking about this right now is because they have two coupons. One is spend $50 get $10 off or the other is spend $100 and get $25 dollars off.

I think I will probably go with the 10 gallon at this point because it will fit on my other desk so I won't need to move my big screen cage. There really isn't anywhere else to put my mesh cage inside and I don't want it sitting outside or down at the barn.. My custom cage is too nice to risk. Even though I don't like it for mantises, it will be perfect for some lubber grasshoppers which I eventually would love to get.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff