Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Rexie's new log! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akari_32

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:00 pm
I've had my Mali Uromastyx, Rex, for 7 months. He's such a cutie! He's only grown a few inches, but I hear they are slow growers, anyways.

I bought him a 40 breeder back in January, and 50 pounds of play sand (which I mixed the 10 pounds of Calcium sand my parents bought when they got him), and a nice little rock cave that should last him a good while. His old 10 gallon (that my parents also got) was limited in space, so I never really thought about decorating. Since we got his 40 breeder, we have been on the look out for a nice peice of wood for him to climb on, as he had something other then his basking rock and cave.

I had an orthodontist appointment today, and it happened to be right next door to one of the best PetCo's I have ever been in, and I had gotten there 35 minutes early, so I decided to go in. I found an awesome peice of wood (not exactly what I wanted, but its still nice!) for $10. Couldnt turn it down.

I brought it home, did some spot cleaning, flattened the sand (Rexie likes to dig around sometimes), and put the log in there. It looks great! Makes me want more wood... LOL

And of course, I got pics =3 (The tank is alot brighter then it shows in the pics.)

Tank shot:

User Image

Wood from the side:

User Image

And an evil look from Rex rofl

User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:13 pm
awesome! looks like a good find!  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Akari_32

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:17 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart

Thanks! Still needs something, but it looks much better then just his bowl sitting the middle of the tank LOL  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:13 pm
Akari_32
Cowgirl-with-heart

Thanks! Still needs something, but it looks much better then just his bowl sitting the middle of the tank LOL
maybe a few fake spider plant looking plants?  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:35 am

I've been wondering when we'd get an update on Rex! He's looking good and so is hit cage. Do they like to climb and explore? You could get a bunch of slate (rocks or tiles) and silicone them together (so they don't collapse on him) and make like a mountain with caves and stuff for him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:45 am
Cowgirl-with-heart

Any fake plants become dinner for Rexie lol

Vanilla eXee

I've been wondering when we'd get an update on Rex! He's looking good and so is hit cage. Do they like to climb and explore? You could get a bunch of slate (rocks or tiles) and silicone them together (so they don't collapse on him) and make like a mountain with caves and stuff for him.

I'm still looking for a landscaping place to get slate or rocks, since the pet stores are EXPENSIVE! You would think he would like to climb (the internet and PetSmart say so), but I always got the facorty reject creatures, and he actually likes to dig XD I hope now that he has his new log, he'll learn that he is suppossed to climb lol I have some rocks outside that we used for a wild caught corn snake, but Rex isnt wild caught, so he wouldnt be able to hold up against any 'bugs' that are on them. Could I clean them some how so they are Rexie safe?

Do you have any ideas on getting him to eat something other then yellow squash, endives, mustard greens and the occational zuccini? Anything else I offer him, he wont touch! If her were the fish or dogs, I'd let him starve untill he ate it, but his reptile motabolism doesnt work like that, after just one day with out eating, you can tell that he loses a bit of weight. He loves his seeds, but even if I mix any new foods with his seeds, he pics out the seeds and leaves the veggies :/  

Akari_32

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:44 am
Akari_32
Cowgirl-with-heart

Vanilla eXee

I'm still looking for a landscaping place to get slate or rocks, since the pet stores are EXPENSIVE! You would think he would like to climb (the internet and PetSmart say so), but I always got the facorty reject creatures, and he actually likes to dig XD I hope now that he has his new log, he'll learn that he is suppossed to climb lol I have some rocks outside that we used for a wild caught corn snake, but Rex isnt wild caught, so he wouldnt be able to hold up against any 'bugs' that are on them. Could I clean them some how so they are Rexie safe?

Do you have any ideas on getting him to eat something other then yellow squash, endives, mustard greens and the occational zuccini? Anything else I offer him, he wont touch! If her were the fish or dogs, I'd let him starve untill he ate it, but his reptile motabolism doesnt work like that, after just one day with out eating, you can tell that he loses a bit of weight. He loves his seeds, but even if I mix any new foods with his seeds, he pics out the seeds and leaves the veggies :/

You can boil them, bake them or sit them out in the sun. For feeding, try blending something new in with a food he loves in the blender, that might help. Then if he eats it, you can slowly start adding the new things to hid diet. When I give Lazy lettuce she doesn't like, I twist it up with one she doesn't like. For example, she hates endive, but she loves romaine, so I kind of roll them together and she eats the whole thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:56 am
when i read abou tpicky eaters one of the things i see suggested often is to sprinkle bee pollen on the veggies.

you've been doing well as a lizard mommy biggrin  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:56 am
Akari_32
Cowgirl-with-heart

oooohhh then nix that plan,I thought he would be a bug eater xD he looks like one....  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:22 pm
Shanna66
when i read abou tpicky eaters one of the things i see suggested often is to sprinkle bee pollen on the veggies.

Thanks! He's definatly a fun pet to have lol

Thats quite interesting... I'll have to look into that

Vanilla eXee

You can boil them, bake them or sit them out in the sun. For feeding, try blending something new in with a food he loves in the blender, that might help. Then if he eats it, you can slowly start adding the new things to hid diet. When I give Lazy lettuce she doesn't like, I twist it up with one she doesn't like. For example, she hates endive, but she loves romaine, so I kind of roll them together and she eats the whole thing.

Anything I mix, he eats what he likes out of it. We dont have a blender, but 3 years in cullinary has tought me how to chop very finely (though that still doesnt help, he still picks the good stuff out). He's such a pain!

Since the rocks are already out side, do you think they're ok then?

Cowgirl-with-heart
oooohhh then nix that plan,I thought he would be a bug eater xD he looks like one....

LOL Nope, he likes his veggies  

Akari_32

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:35 pm
Akari_32
Shanna66

Thanks! He's definatly a fun pet to have lol

Thats quite interesting... I'll have to look into that

Vanilla eXee

Anything I mix, he eats what he likes out of it. We dont have a blender, but 3 years in cullinary has tought me how to chop very finely (though that still doesnt help, he still picks the good stuff out). He's such a pain!

Since the rocks are already out side, do you think they're ok then?

Cowgirl-with-heart

LOL Nope, he likes his veggies

Put them on a porch or a sidewalk first and let them sit out in the sun for a day or so just to be sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:47 pm
Vanilla eXee

Put them on a porch or a sidewalk first and let them sit out in the sun for a day or so just to be sure.

Ok, I'll do that then =3  

Akari_32

Akari_32

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:46 pm
Akari_32
Vanilla eXee

Ok, I'll do that then =3

I took the rock I wanted out of the rock garden, aaaaaaaand, the stupid city sends it little air plane around and sprays for mosquitoes -_- Now what? Rinse the crap out of it, bake it...? What?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:07 am
Akari_32
I took the rock I wanted out of the rock garden, aaaaaaaand, the stupid city sends it little air plane around and sprays for mosquitoes -_- Now what? Rinse the crap out of it, bake it...? What?

Just curious, where do you live? You must live in a really tropical area to have city-wide sprayings for mosquitos. xD I know only one other place that does it, New Orleans, and that's because they're a swamp.

If my research on mosquito chemicals is correct, the type of chemical they spray from planes is designed to kill adult mosquitoes is harmless to vertebrates and actually dissipates from the air/everywhere from hours to a couple of days, depending on what exact chemical is used. So I wouldn't freak out too much, perhaps just wash it with soap and water. Really there's not too much concern.  

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:29 am
Akari_32
Akari_32
Vanilla eXee

Ok, I'll do that then =3

Scrub scrub scrub.

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces