My Puppy Has Distemper? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

weecest

Romantic Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:04 pm
When I Received Sargeant Last Night. I Bathed Him And After That His Eyes Had Like Those Buggers We Get When We Wake Up...
Today In The Morning I Woke Up To Feed Him And Saw That His Right Eye Was Shut Closed.
He Would Blink But It Wouldnt Open...I "Forced" It Open And Out Came Some Gooey Thing That Looked Like "Pus" But It Was Green-ish...I Cleaned It Up And Fed Him Put Him Back In His Little Bed And Went To Work.
I Told My Sister To Care For Him While I Was Gone, And She Did...But She Says He Moves To Slowly And Doesnt Do Anything...

Im Thinking The "not doing anything" Is Because He Is Still A Small Pup.
I Looked Up The Symptoms And Got Back That He Had Distemper?
He Has The Eye Thing....lethargy....
uncoordinated movements;muscle twitching; weakness or paralysis

Im Kinda Assuming I Need To Take Him To The Vet Now; But Our Vet Is Closed Now And I Cant Skip Work Tomorrow...
What Else Can I Do?

If It Matters Sargeant Is Only 6 Weeks Old...Or So I Was Told...  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:12 pm
I'm guessing you either got your puppy from a backyard breeder or petstore.

Your pup should not have been separated from its mother before 8 weeks. He was sold to you sick. I can't really stress this enough, but your puppy needs to see a vet even if that means driving a couple hours to the nearest emergency vet. If you don't get him in, there is a very good chance at that age he will die.  

Krissim Klaw
Crew

weecest

Romantic Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:22 pm
Krissim Klaw
I'm guessing you either got your puppy from a backyard breeder or petstore.

Your pup should not have been separated from its mother before 8 weeks. He was sold to you sick. I can't really stress this enough, but your puppy needs to see a vet even if that means driving a couple hours to the nearest emergency vet. If you don't get him in, there is a very good chance at that age he will die.

Actually A Family Friend Gave Me The Little Guy...

I Told My Mom To Take Him Back Because Im Assuming He Still Needs His Mommy But She Said No...But She Had Also Mentioned Something About Another Puppy Just Having A Seizure And They Had To Bathe Him To Get Him Back.
I Also Cant Go No Where, Because My Car Is Busted.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:37 pm
Lunchbox Material

Actually A Family Friend Gave Me The Little Guy...

I Told My Mom To Take Him Back Because Im Assuming He Still Needs His Mommy But She Said No...But She Had Also Mentioned Something About Another Puppy Just Having A Seizure And They Had To Bathe Him To Get Him Back.
I Also Cant Go No Where, Because My Car Is Busted.
Your family friend would fall under the backyard breeder category. All the puppies are sick because things like distemper and parvo are highly communicable. The entire litter needed to be brought to the vet. If your car is broken call a friend or taxi. If you don't care enough or don't have the funds than please at least go and drop him off at the local shelter where he will at least have a shot.  

Krissim Klaw
Crew

Sachie Whitby

King Vampire

18,200 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:01 pm
Distemper is a nasty horrible disease. If your pet has it, you need to get it to the vet even if you have to walk there and carry the animal. If one of my pets was showing symptoms of distemper and my car was broken down, I would do just that if borrowing a car, getting a ride from a friend and/or taking a cab were not an option.

If you do not get the dog to a vet, the disease will continue to progress until it reaches the spinal cord and brain. At that point, it is 100% fatal to the extent that there is absolutely nothing that can be done to save the animal. The sooner you get the dog to the vet, the better the odds are that it is saved.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:24 am
User Image

Try to get him to a vet ASAP.

I have and will continue to pray for a recovery though.

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:54 pm

Ask if you can go into work a little late or get out of work an hour or so early. Do you have a bicycle and a backpack? Is there public transportation where you live?

It's not the puppies fault that your friend is a BYB. He deserves a chance at life, so please take him to the vet. If you won't, then like Krissim said, please either give him to someone who will or bring him to a shelter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:53 pm
I realize I am repeating what others have already said but I just want to stress how very important it is that this dog see a vet as soon as possible. I used to work as a Veterinary Technician. Distemper is a very serious and painful disease. I know you and your family are not trying to be cruel but this puppy will suffer badly if he doesn't get medical attention. Also, this disease is very communicable, so please keep the puppy quarantined.  

imderanged

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:12 am
if (hopefully when) you bring him to the vet,it would be a good idea to call ahead to let them know you have a dog you think has distemper coming,they may want you to use a seperate entrance than the normal one or something,same goes if you decide to turn him over to a shelter as someone suggested,keep him away from all other dogs,it would be best if he didnt even walk on the ground because its very contagious,and even if I am (inadvertently) over exaggerating its better safe than sorry.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:45 am
All of what has been said and a slap to the face to the person who separated puppies at SIX WEEKS! evil That person should NOT be allowed to have un neutered pets! The pups like it's been said likely ALL have this serious disease.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:58 pm
any updates??  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:05 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
any updates??

The person who made this thread has been on and posting since then, so probably ignoring us.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

weecest

Romantic Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:09 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
any updates??

Yes!
I Was Able To Take My Puppy To The Vet Early Morning On Wednesday; Since My Boss Gave Me The Day Off.

All The Vet Told Me Was That Sargeant Was Too Advanced With The Disease And That I Should Put Him Down; Or Struggle In Trying To Keep Him Alive....Though He Said He Wouldnt Last.
I Told Him To Give Him The Treatment And So It Began.

I Believed That He Could Make It Since On Thursday I Noticed A Somewhat Improvement In The Morning...But Around The Night I Noticed He Had Completely Lost Appetite And His Hind Legs Stopped Working. I Kept Giving Him His Medicine Just How The Doctor Has Prescribed It.
But Sadly; Sargeant Couldnt Make It After That Night.
I Just Wanted To Believe He Could Have Survived Distemper.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:10 pm
Vanilla eXee
Cowgirl-with-heart
any updates??

The person who made this thread has been on and posting since then, so probably ignoring us.

or has somehow forgotten he made this thread... I've been looking for updates... I only haven't posted because everyone else has said exactly what I would say. I do hope the puppy was taken to the vet and makes it...  

CrissAngelLover12345

weecest

Romantic Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:11 pm
Vanilla eXee
Cowgirl-with-heart
any updates??

Im Not Ignoring No One.
Please Dont Say Things That Arent True.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas