Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Canine Influenza Virus [A little Information]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

- Vet Tech - 2011

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:58 pm
The clinic I work for recently received information (pamphlets and quick lunch n' learn) on the canine influenza virus. Most cases so far have been reported in the United States, and it's said to have already spread to states along the boarder. There has been one reported case in Canada (B.C) but seems it is spreading more rapidly. A vaccination has been released, which is suppose to be scientifically proven to be effective. The clinic has already ordered vaccines.

The AVMA has provided a lot of excellent information about the virus, how it is spread etc. http://www.avma.org/public_health/influenza/canine_guidelines.asp as well as the website provides further resources to information and updates.

If you travel with your pet, visit dog park(s) or interact with new dogs on a regular basis, boarding kennels, or visit veterinary hospitals on a regular basis - you should read up on the disease and consider discussing with your veterinarian if it should be added to your vaccine protocol.

Because my own dog falls under: Traveling, dog parks/walking trails, the groomer AND with me working in a veterinary clinic ... I am having him vaccinated as soon as our vaccines come in. We are offering it to those who visit dog parks, travel to the U.S., boarding kennels/groomers etc.

I didn't see any information about it yet here in the guild so I thought I would pass along a little bit of information to make our pet owners aware.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:57 pm
Is there a difference between influenza and parainfluenza? Cause parainfluenza is already part of the cores where I am. Cowboy is UTD on everything but seeing as he's 6 and they've been shown to last a life time and even the vets will admit you can stop after 6 the only thing I plan to vaccinate for now is rabies cause of the law. and MAYBE lepto but I'm still iffy on the effectiveness vs risk of that one  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces