Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Mmmm greeeeeen...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Raise of hands, class! Who'd swim in it?
  *raises hand* :D
  *sort of raises maybe* <.< >.>
  Ew no.
  I wan to eet it :B
View Results

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:22 am
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/green-algae-yellow-sea-194125276.html

Quote:
Green algae in the Yellow Sea
By Mike Krumboltz | The Upshot – 19 hrs ago

Come on in, the water's . . . green. In Qingdoo, Shandong Province of China, the coastal waters are covered with algae called enteromopha prolifera. The algae is not poisonous and doesn't affect water quality, but there are concerns about how it may affect local sealife and whether it might spur a drop in tourism. Not everyone, it seems, wants to look like the Incredible Hulk while swimming.

So, what exactly is going on here? According to CNN, researchers aren't entirely sure what's behind the green invasion. One expert told the network that it's possible that the lush green algae plume may have something to do with "the change in the environment," but is mum when it comes to specifics.

Regardless, the bright green goop has inspired a slew of amazing photographs. In some photos, the algae, which now covers 200 square miles of the Yellow Sea, looks so thick that it resembles a fairway on a golf course. You can check out a collection of photos below.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Moar pics in the link above.

I'd totally swim in this just to say I did. Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:06 pm
Ewww. Green "red tide"?

Even if they aren't harmful to humans, they deplete the oxygen in the water and do a number on the wildlife there. sad  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Ifailedmywillsave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:14 pm
Heavens. I don't think I could bring myself to swim in it... but I would want to poke it with a stick. ...possibly a lot. ninja That's really not good for the ecosystem, though. I wonder if they have any plans to sort of... I dunno... maybe skim some of it off or something?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:49 am
Szen
Ewww. Green "red tide"?

Even if they aren't harmful to humans, they deplete the oxygen in the water and do a number on the wildlife there. sad

I can see why you would think so, but red tides are caused by unicellular algae called dinoflagellates, while this phenomenon is caused by Enteromorpha, which is in a different group (the Chlorophyta), so it's not a 'green' tide. You're right though, in that it'll stop sunlight from reaching plants/photosynthetic animals near the seabed, and it'll probably reduce the oxygen concentration in the water.

(Can't you tell I'm just DYING to use that degree I have now?!)  

AquilaLiberum

DelightfulCatastrophe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:21 pm
Ifailedmywillsave
Heavens. I don't think I could bring myself to swim in it... but I would want to poke it with a stick. ...possibly a lot. ninja

lol.. My thoughts exactly!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:46 am
Aquila15
Szen
Ewww. Green "red tide"?

I can see why you would think so, but red tides are caused by unicellular algae called dinoflagellates, while this phenomenon is caused by Enteromorpha, which is in a different group (the Chlorophyta), so it's not a 'green' tide. You're right though, in that it'll stop sunlight from reaching plants/photosynthetic animals near the seabed, and it'll probably reduce the oxygen concentration in the water.

(Can't you tell I'm just DYING to use that degree I have now?!)

XD I bow to your wisdow, Qui.  

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

[K!ng]

Sparkly Shade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:31 pm

They should just hire a sexy pool boy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:43 pm
eww...my first thought was swimming in green baby poop -, - . But I do wanna poke it. And maybe wade alittle  

Fashionably Late Bloomer

Moonlight Nerd

22,200 Points
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Brandisher 100

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:09 am
Yeah, I live on a bayou, where there are alligators. Last year I lived by the ocean, where there was stinky, revolting crimson tide. I wouldn't get in that water for five million dollars.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:04 pm
WHY ALL THE DINOFLAGELLATE HATE?! D<

(PS. I am a Zoology degree graduate, not just a random lunatic).  

AquilaLiberum

Szen
Vice Captain

6,050 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:20 pm
Aquila15
WHY ALL THE DINOFLAGELLATE HATE?! D<

(PS. I am a Zoology degree graduate, not just a random lunatic).

A random lunatic who was that knowledgeable about such things would be pretty cool in my book too. XD  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:51 pm
1. I think "Why all the Dinoflagellate hate?!" may just be one of the best quotes ever

and

2. I'd poke it. And I'd take the stick and gather the green algae up so i made an algae mountain. Wonder if i compacted it enough if i could climb on it and be all like "i'm king of the mountain! ...of...algae"  

Annai-chansan

The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff