Fostering

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Norse Princess

Desirable Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:46 pm
Hi, me and my mom have been thinking about getting another dog, a husky, but that might change since we have agreed to foster a puppy. I was wondering if there was anyone here that has fostered before and could give me the run-down of how it works.

Here's some details about the puppy.
Australian Shepherd
12-week old
Litter of 3
All 3 are deaf

They are currently in a kill shelter, the lady who is going to set up the fostering is going to pull them out of the shelter and have fosters help train them. So another thing I would like is if anyone could give me some pointers on training deaf pups. I'm really looking forward to training this dog and getting it ready for a new home, and saving its life ultimately.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:35 pm
No one can help?  

Norse Princess

Desirable Phantom

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:12 pm
aaawwww, I'm jealous!

I have never fostered before, but it is such a great thing! I would suggest just waiting for the other dog so your hands aren't too full.

Fostering is firstly about getting the dog out of the hot chair, and giving him a bit extra time to find that forever home.

It's also just as important, to socialize them, and get started on their training, so they won't be so nervous in the future. This also increases their chances of getting adopted.

That's why it'd be best to focus on the foster at first. I am very anxious to do it, but need my own place in order to do so.

Let me know if you have any questions. And omg aussie puppy, I NEED pictures!  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:01 pm
I've fostered for a while and its basically like having a new dog but one you know can't stay. It can be hard but its very rewarding at the same time. smile

I worked with a deaf dog for a while and took him to some training classes but that was mostly for socializing since he was trained when we took him. Pick hand signals for each command and stick with them consistently. If you have to wait till the puppy does what you want and do the signal and reward them.

There is an episode of dogtown but I don't remember which one for sure where the trainer trains a deaf puppy. Maybe see if you can find it on netflix.  

JosephineReally

8,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • First step to fame 200
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items