Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:35 pm
[♫=♥]

I clean the 5gal tank once a week now. Today I clean it with 100% water change.
My fish is scared all the time. He's darker and he's swimming at the bottom of the tank hiding behind the decor. He's recovering from fin rot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:59 pm

What type of fish (I'm assuming betta?) and what do you have for decorations/hides in the tank? Where is the tank situated? Does the area get a lot of traffic? What does he do when you feed him? What and how often do you feed him? How do you clean his tank normally?

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:20 pm
Vanilla eXee

What type of fish (I'm assuming betta?) and what do you have for decorations/hides in the tank? Where is the tank situated? Does the area get a lot of traffic? What does he do when you feed him? What and how often do you feed him? How do you clean his tank normally?
[♫=♥]

Betta
Pictures of the tank
recent--old
User Image

User Image

User Image

The light is busted, so it's dark in there all the time. The tank is way far from the window.

feeding time
I feed him frozen dried blood worms, 1-2 worms a day. When I feed him, he would go up the surface after I open the mini door. Now he's just hiding inside the rock. I would shake the rock just a little bit. He's alive and all, but dark and scary looking. He would come out of the cave to swim around, then he would go on the surface to swim behind the rocks and run inside the cave.
I placed a mirror in front of him and there was no reaction. He just hides back into the cave.

cleaning time
I clean by taking him out of the tank and into a cup. Take the decor out and water. Rinse the rocks with hot water. Rinse the decor with hot water. The place the decors into the tank, add tap water then add water conditioner, wait till the temperature is at 75-80 degrees, add water from the tank and into the cup where the betta fish is so that it gets used to temperature, then after 20 minutes or so, add the betta into the tank.
I rinse the filter with tank water, but that's after a few days.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Could just be because he was sick. As he gets better he should start to be his normal self again. If not, keep an eye out for any other symptoms.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:41 pm
He's beautiful!! His behavior change is probably because of being sick. Once he is no longer sick, he should start acting back to normal. If he still is acting that way after he is no longer sick, then it's probably some other illness, and you should try to see if you can find some other symptoms. biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:15 pm
I think the problem is how you clean the tank. You dont need, nor should you, really, clean the decor all the time, if ever. The bacteria that keeps the tank cycled and eats all the ammonia lives on rough surfaces, like the decor, gravel and filter media. Rinsing any of that in declorinated water kills the good bacteria, and throws the tank back into the nitrogen cycle, which takes the lives of alot of fish. If the decor and what-nots really gets that gross in just a week, then just scrub them with your hand in a bucket of syphoned tank water. All that really needs to be done is to syphon the gravel ever week and rinse out the filter media ever now and then. Too much cleaning is even worse then not enough cleaning wink  

Akari_32

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:35 pm
Akari_32
[♫=♥]

Oh, I read about bacteria eating ammonia. I didn't know that too much cleaning can kill them.
My fish is all better now (kinda). There's a part of his fins that seemed ripped off. I thought that he was recovering from fin rot, but he's still pale. Should I clean his tank (with your suggestion) then add aquarium salt? Or should I not add aquarium salt and just clean his tank every once a week?
Do you want me to add pictures of his fins? It's hard to get a good photo of him. I have a crappy digital camera, but I'll try my best to get a good picture of his fins.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:39 pm
Jiti
Akari_32
[♫=♥]

Oh, I read about bacteria eating ammonia. I didn't know that too much cleaning can kill them.
My fish is all better now (kinda). There's a part of his fins that seemed ripped off. I thought that he was recovering from fin rot, but he's still pale. Should I clean his tank (with your suggestion) then add aquarium salt? Or should I not add aquarium salt and just clean his tank every once a week?
Do you want me to add pictures of his fins? It's hard to get a good photo of him. I have a crappy digital camera, but I'll try my best to get a good picture of his fins.

Over cleaning is like getting a new tank lol

Depending on how bad the fin rot was, his fins maynever grow back all the way. If the rays (the 'veins') were dammaged, then chances are, whats there is what he'll have the rest og his life. It may grow back some, depending how fast you caught it, the treatment, and how long it took to clear up. Pretty much, the longer it took to be treated, the less likely it is to grow back to where it used to be.

Be sure theres nothing that is catching his fins, either, as that deffinatly wont help. Silk plants, or very soft live plants are best, though I have seen a few soft rubbery-plastic plants that could work.

Salt probly wont help much, but you could get some Stress Coat. Its a water conditioner that promotes cell regeneration and growth, as well as the slime coat. It worked wonders on my boy Plutto, was bought with hardly any fins. He now looks pretty much completely normal, othere then some wrinkles in his tail, and he is still missing a ventral fin that will never grow back. ( I have a pic thear some where around here with before and after pics of him).

Depending on how quickly his fins are healing, you may want to do water changes two-four times a week.  

Akari_32

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff