Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Geezers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for users 21 and over 

Tags: Geezer, Mature, Age 21+ 

Reply RL (Real Life) General Discussions
I seem to have annoyed a friend by being honest...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:10 pm
ミク・ミクにしてあげる。
User ImageAll I did was say I have absolutely zero interest in most English versions of things that weren't originally presented in English, and zero interest in the people who voice those versions. :/

EDIT:I forgot this thread still existed... the person is not my friend, as he was a teenager who had changed a lot in the year since I met him in ways that made us incompatible to the point that practically him and the straw that broke the camel's back was being told I should learn to be friends with a person who says crap and 4 letter words to his friends.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:04 am
ミク・ミクにしてあげる。
User ImageMy whole outlook is basically like "this is a French movie so of course the logical language to watch it in is French".
The idea of watching that French movie in Spanish or Italian is like trying to shove a square piece in a round hole.

How does that reasoning sound strange or closed minded?  

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:13 am
I would have to agree with you, if I watch something that was originally made in Spain, I'll want to watch it in Spanish with English subtitles.

Maybe your friend was upset with you because you didn't see her side of it? There is merit in those people who do voice acting, its a hard business to try to get right without sounding corny.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:01 am
...You do sound closed minded with that statement. Maybe she just wanted to see how the movie would sound in a different languages. There's nothing wrong with being curious. You really didn't have to bite her head off like that. I mean she's the one that is letting you watch it in the first place so there's no need to be rude.

I'd like to see you try some voice acting. Its not the easiest job in the entertainment industry. It requires skill to not make the voice over sound like crap.

FYI being brutally honest can get you into trouble.  

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sparkly Genius

7,000 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:25 am
Sakura_Moonlight2421
...You do sound closed minded with that statement. Maybe she just wanted to see how the movie would sound in a different languages. There's nothing wrong with being curious. You really didn't have to bite her head off like that. I mean she's the one that is letting you watch it in the first place so there's no need to be rude.

I'd like to see you try some voice acting. Its not the easiest job in the entertainment industry. It requires skill to not make the voice over sound like crap.

That's not what happened.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:37 am
Rei Inaba
Sakura_Moonlight2421

Okay...then what did happen? I'm only going on what you've posted.  

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sparkly Genius

7,000 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:38 pm
Sakura_Moonlight2421
Rei Inaba
Sakura_Moonlight2421

Was a Skype chat. She said something about imagining a couple of apparently great dub actors in the same place, I had only heard of one of them. I said I probably didn't care who the other person was. Things escalated from there even though I tried to avoid an argument.

Things seem to have cooled down though.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:51 pm
All Language is is a common frame of reference between people for the means of communication. So long as nothing is lost in translation what does it matter what language you watch a movie in?

Still having no interest in something is hardly offensive really.

Pokemun

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sparkly Genius

7,000 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:45 pm
Rei Inaba
Sakura_Moonlight2421
Rei Inaba
Sakura_Moonlight2421

Was a Skype chat. She said something about imagining a couple of apparently great dub actors in the same place, I had only heard of one of them. I said I probably didn't care who the other person was. Things escalated from there even though I tried to avoid an argument.

Things seem to have cooled down though.

I see now...maybe a mention of it being a theoretical movie would have helped...I think she may have felt like you had no interest in what she has to say, so she kind of blew up. But its good she's calmed down.

@Stum - Saying, "I have zero interest..." is offensive if someone else has an interest in what they're talking about....  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:46 pm
Stumbletoe
All Language is is a common frame of reference between people for the means of communication. So long as nothing is lost in translation what does it matter what language you watch a movie in?

Still having no interest in something is hardly offensive really.

ミク・ミクにしてあげる。
User ImageI don't want to hear a German person, in Germany, being German, sound anything but German.  

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100

pirulaso

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:23 pm
Maybe it was the way you said it, If you explain it in a non-aggressive manner, I can't imagine a person would get angry.

Its kind of like how my atheist friend some times says "I just don't think there's a higher power"... And then sometimes says "I think faith in a higherpower is just humanity's insecurities and fear of accepting the truth"

One is more likely going to get you punched in the face.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:47 am
You know, you can go through life worrying about what will offend people and walking on eggshells... only that will likely offend some people.

While it's good to expand your horizons, if you have no interest, you have no interest. If you've given it the old college try, I'd say you've fulfilled your obligation.

There's certain anime that I'll only watch in English dub, but most anime and foreign movies I enjoy in their original language far better. It loses something in the transition, and sometimes you get a sixteen-year-old girl who suddenly sounds like the old caseworker lady from Beetlejuice.  

Happy Hentai Beastie

RL (Real Life) General Discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff