Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
My parents in-law want a new cat. Where to look at?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:22 am
Ok, So. My boyfriend came home and told me his parents want a new cat.
Their previous cat passed away in February when they were on vacation. My boyfriend's sister took care of her, but he passed away. She was just old.

They went a new one, they prefer long to middle hair. We've been looking around on an dutch e-bay kind of site. And people are offering a lot of kittens! Maine Coone's, Ragdolls, Mixtures, etc.

We don't know if they want one with a 'family tree' or not. And I gave his mother a book with all kind of cat-breeds in it.

They are a little bit greedy, But they have enough money. They do want to keep this cat inside, this time. But I don't think they really realize that a long haired cat takes a lot of cleaning. I mean, they are barely home.

If they do decide on taking a cat. Where to look at? How do we know the breeder is one that breeds with passion, and not just for the money? When do we know not to take a kitten? Do we have to ask for the mother and father? Did they got their vaccinations? Are they chipped?

That last one seems pretty obvious. And I think his parents will send us out. Since we are the only one with cats. And they barely have time. lol

Besides, their last cat they never took to the vet. Never.
IMO, cats do need their yearly check up.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:00 am

Ok, so I take it you are not in the US? Do you have shelters there? Those are the best places to start looking since you can find so many different types of cat, and they all really need homes.

If you go with a breeder, you need to ask them every single question that comes to mind. A decent breeder will be looking for homes before the kittens are even in the oven. Ask them how often they breed (if it's more than once a year, not a good sign.) Ask for the entire health history of the parents, and YES, you do want to meet the parents. This will give you an indication of what the kittens might be like, as well as showing you what conditions the parents are in and kept in. The best way to find a good breeder of a specfic breed it so find the club for that breed in your country. For instance, say you're looking for a Maine Coon. You would google "Maine coon club(/society) in -your country-" They will usually have a website with a breeders directory that will have contact info.

When it comes to taking a kitten home, make sure it looks healthy, and it should be 8 weeks or older. Eyes should be bright and alert, not crusty or runny, same with the nose. Make sure it is weened and eating kitten food, not milk. Litterbox trained, etc.

To be honest, if they're not home much, they may want to opt for an already grown cat rather than a kitten. Cats are independent, but kittens need to be socialized and loved by their humans to grow up well adjusted in a human household.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:13 am
Thank you!

I was thinking about shelters aswell. The one we had our cat from was loaded with cats. (I wish I could take them all home with me. emo )

We're going to have a small talk with his parents soon. And instead if a kitten a grown up cat isn't such a bad idea. Thing is, they want an indoor cat. Isn't it going to be lonely?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:56 pm
if they are rarely ever home,a grown cat would be best,and if you go to a shelter,you could look for one that doesnt do well with other cats,so it would be more happy alone,or with them,but the cat will need some love,they cant leave it for days on end with no one to socialize with  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:36 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
if they are rarely ever home,a grown cat would be best,and if you go to a shelter,you could look for one that doesnt do well with other cats,so it would be more happy alone,or with them,but the cat will need some love,they cant leave it for days on end with no one to socialize with

They leave everyday (so including weekend. No day off) for work around 11am, and come back home around 12pm.

Their son leaves around 4pm and gets home 11pm. Also, everyday. He sleeps most of the day, but he is a cat person.

I gave them one of my cat books with information in it and different kind of races and an explanation about those cats. They already got their eye on a Scottish Fold. But I told my boyfriend that maybe it's better to have a look in the shelter first. There are tons of cats there that need a home.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:46 pm
You could go on Petfinder. They have a million animals on there!! From dogs and cats to pigs and farm animals!! In January my dad got a Maine Coon cat! He is the best cat in the world!! My dad is a teacher so during the school yr he leaves the cat at home. As long as he has food and water he's fine. He does shed and sometimes his fur gets into a knot and it comes right out. As long as they can clean up after a cat and take care of the house i have to say tell them to get a Maine Coon cat!  

thewarriorsrule12

5,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:46 pm

Aah, my boyfriend loves Scottish Folds. He wants to get one someday when the inevitable happens to Sugar.

Most cats can be pretty independent, they're normally solitary creatures so I wouldn't say it would be lonely without people or another cat around, but it is best to find one that doesn't need to be with other cats. A shelter will be the perfect place to find an indoor only cat who has lived alone. When cats go out and see other cats, they either fight with them or mate, so it's not like going outside keeps them from being 'lonely'. Them being gone all day may be okay anyway, since cats are mainly nocturnal (although they will adjust to their owners schedule easily), so as long as they do spend some time with it when they're home, I don't really see it being a problem. Definitely don't let them get a kitten though, with those kind of hours, chances are a kitten will not end up turning into the cat they want it to.

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games