Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Let's Talk Books!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Animelover955

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:41 pm
So I've been on the war path recently as far as buying up books/training books and thought it would be fun to see what books you peeps are reading or plan to eventually read...

Right now I've got....

the culture clash by jean donaldson
Train your dog like a pro by jean donaldson
Tom Dokken's retriever training book
Beginners guide to Agility by Laurie Leach
Intermediates guide to Agility by Laurie Leach
Excelling at Agility Book 1
The other end of the leash
some other smaller books I can't remember

and I've got the book Click to Calm coming in the mail hopefully soon....

I plan to order control unleashed, Don't shoot the dog,, Mine!, Fight, Before and After you get your puppy, The focused Puppy, Scaredy Dog
and a few other I can't name ATM over the next month or so.

So what books are you reading/plan to read?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:46 pm
The only training books I have are the Australian Shepherd book I bought right before getting Cowboy and an agility magazine redface

I mostly go to youtube, or here, or to a trainer.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:37 pm

Yeah, I don't buy many animal care books either. From the ones I've read, all of the useful info is stuff I could find for free online, and A LOT of the stuff in many of the books I've read is stuff that I do not believe is true. (Mostly this has to do with fish keeping, but it's probably just as relevant with dogs). I'd rather not spend the $20 or so that I have to spend on books for info I can get for free that may or may not be true.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:03 am
Dog books I own:
Culture clash by Jean donaldson
The power of positive dog training by Pat miller (gave me a good start when I started learning about dog training)
On my mums kindle:
So you want to be a dog trainer by Nicole Wilde (mostly about being a dog trainer, but has some useful training tips I guess)
Mine! A guide to resource guarding by Jean donaldson

I like to look for books at the library, so far the only one I've liked is "the power of..." by pat miller (which I got my own copy of later) and Reaching the animal mind by karen pryor. The library doesn't stock many books I'm into, they have some good books on training tricks, but I know how to train most, if not, youtube is easy enough. I only buy books if they've been recomended by people I know use the same methods as me, or are written by authors I know and like.

I want:
Don't shoot the dog, control unleashed, click to calm, calming signals, the other end of the leash and I know there's a whole lot more. Hopefully I'll have a bit of birthday money. My family must think I'm a dog nerd... I spent half the birthday money my grandparents got me (they gave me $40 + whatever gifts I get on my actual birthday), on kong like toys for the dogs. Now I'm thinking I'll be spending the rest on dog books lol  

DeeSpark

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:40 am
Cats - Complete Guide by Graham Meadows & Elsa Flint
Whole Health for happy Cats by Arora
Do Cats Always Land on Their Feet? By Marty Becker & Gina Spadafori
Everycat by Eric Allen, Lynda Blooming & J. Rowan Blogg

I want to have
Little ailments with cats and dogs By J.E. Gajentaan - Really expensive. :c
Two Cats in the House by Gerd Ludwig
Dairy of a Cat by Remco Campert  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:24 am
I don't have any training books...or animal care books ,really. I have a bearded dragon care book but it's like way out of date and I don't know why they're still selling it...  

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100

LuvByrd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:02 pm
As far as a training book goes, 'Don't shoot the dog' is amazing. Clearly explains all the "rules" and tips in to an organized method, as well as being all positive. Because It doesn't focus specifically on dogs, it's basically a manuel for training anything. Also, Karen Pryor helped make clciker training as well known as it is; a pioneer in training, so to speak. Highly recommended.
I want to read Click to Calm! I need to get around to ordering it through the library....For someone new to training, the 'for Dummies' dog training book isn't bad.

Another couple good books are 'Animals in Translation', and 'Animals make us human', by Temple Grandin. No so much a training book, but another view on animals, they way they see life, and how we can make life better for them because of it.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:01 am
I just like reading books *shrug* it gives me some good ideas especially when I can't find the right info online and I like reading about different methods and what different trainers have to say etc.

Quote:
I want:
Don't shoot the dog, control unleashed, click to calm, calming signals, the other end of the leash and I know there's a whole lot more.

I really want control unleashed (and in focus), but it's so darn expensive on Amazon and clean run...The library doesn't have it and none of the bookstores carry it

Quote:
I like to look for books at the library

I wish our Library had the books I want... If they did I wouldn't have to buy them...

Click to calm should be coming in the mail today or sometime within the next few days. I'm really hoping it gives me some good ideas  

Animelover955

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:36 pm
[♫=♥]

I keep hearing about Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson. For those who already read the book, how was it?

The books about animals that I read are all story books (mostly autobiography):
Marley & Me by John Grogan
Izzy & Lenore by Jon Katz
Oogy by Larry Levin
Dewey the Library Cat by Vicki Myron
Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

Books I'm going to read:
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
Unsaid by Neil Abramson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:52 am
Jiti
[♫=♥]

I keep hearing about Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson. For those who already read the book, how was it?

Oogy by Larry Levin

Books I'm going to read:
Unsaid by Neil Abramson

I'm still reading the culture clash. I'm always only ever in the mood to read it after I've been doing hard schoolwork, and when my brain is already fried, so it's slow going.
I'm nearly at the end though, and so far, I like it, and have learned a fair bit from it.  

DeeSpark

Animelover955

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:25 pm
DeeSpark
Jiti
[♫=♥]

Oogy by Larry Levin

Books I'm going to read:
Unsaid by Neil Abramson

I'm still reading the culture clash. I'm always only ever in the mood to read it after I've been doing hard schoolwork, and when my brain is already fried, so it's slow going.
I'm nearly at the end though, and so far, I like it, and have learned a fair bit from it.

I've been readind culture clash on and off for a few months now :/ I just keep putting it down and when I do it takes me a while to pick it back up, but I'm at least halfway through razz  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:40 pm
Well I have farm animals so I read a lot of Storey's books. You can get them at farm stores like Tractor Supply. I am reading Storey's guide to miniature animals.- something along that name. Also Storey's books on ducks and dairy goats. I also am reading a book on chinchillas by Animal Planet.  

xlove_buttonx

Beloved Genius

Animelover955

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:35 am
Finally got click to calm in the mail! I'm excited to crack it open and hopefully it'll help me out a bit  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games