Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xLiliths Childx

6,900 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:16 am
Um, I have a soon to be 5 year old Siberian Husky and he still likes to jump on the counter and the table and get to stuff. We're literally fed up with it and we really don't know what to do. Do any of you have suggestions for keeping him off so he doesn't get to anything? It would be greatly appreciated. biggrin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:31 pm
there are some people who might be able to help, but you might want to add that its a dog on counters, I thought it was about horses before I clicked xD  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Eizoryu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:46 pm
Training. Lots of it. Huskies are intelligent, energetic dogs who are a working class of canine and NEED something to do to keep them low-key (I use the term loosely) and out of trouble. He's not too old, so while he won't be a furry learning sponge, it is certainly doable.

Whatever is so interesting on the counters and tables should be removed when it's not being used. That'll be part of the whole "Oh... Nothing here. Not interesting," idea you want him to grasp.

How often is he exercised? Per day, that is. x3 Walks, playtime, whatever. If it's got him moving for a considerable period of time, it's exercise.

I'm not all that educated on the "how" for training dogs; I know more about the goals and such, but I know there are people here who are, so someone more knowledgeable than myself is sure to come along.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:49 am
Increase mental stimulation and exercise as said above. The dog should be walked for at least an hour, say in the morning, and then another one (shorter if you don't want to take another hour long walk) in the afternoon/evening, or the other way around. AT LEAST.

Training tricks is actually a good way to exercise the mind, which helps keep dogs out of trouble. Look up kikopups channel on youtube.
Also, play is important. Fetch, tug etc. you should play with your dog a lot.
Do you have any food toys, like kongs? These are great to, as the dog has to work for the food.

Keep all food off the counters, make sure even crumbs are cleaned up, so it becomes less interesting. If the dog jumps up, I would say "ah ah", and lead the dog away, into a room like the bathroom and give it a minute time out, then let out again.
Make sure you aren't feeding the dog near or in the kitchen. When cooking or getting food in the kitchen, ignore the dog, unless it's trying to steal the food, in which case you should probably put your dog away for now....

Ask your dog to sit (or another behavior) before ANY food. train it that the only way it gets food is to sit.

Hope I helped some what. I'm very tired, so my brains a bit slow, so sorry if I wasn't clear or something  

DeeSpark

xLiliths Childx

6,900 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:28 pm
Thank you so so much for all the ideas, but it doesn't matter. We keep food off the counter and makes sure crumbs are all cleaned up; this goes for the kitchen table too. But he still jumps up, say, to sniff around the cat food or the treats or something. I mean, my mom even posted on her husky group on facebook to help out with this and we have other ideas from that too. We do play with him, we do give him kongs, rawhide, treats when he's good. He eats in his crate which is semi in the kitchen and we haven't been taking him out because it's been to hot out. So.... :/ I really do appreciate the suggestions. Really. biggrin D THANK YOU!! X3  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:32 am
We had a counter jumper, so we put a bowl of beef on the counter with a huge cowbell hanging centimeters above it, so when he jumped and knocked against the bowl, it would ring and startle him, as well as alert us  

Azusanga

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff