Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Fifth Year Classes
Alchemy III ~ (1/5) Open! (Desires of an Alchemist) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:38 am
Alchemy III

Professor Juan Amorocho

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Nestled in the far corner of the fourth floor, the Alchemy class can be found behind a large oak door revealing a dimly lit, and brief tunnel passage way and lead into the rest of the wide circular room. Tremendous windows lined the walls to give birth to the section dedicated to herbology, which also lined the walls and flowering beds filled with a myriad of plants blossom in the sunlights dazzling rays. Broad desks occupied the center and faced the professor's desk which sat directly in between the windows and the children; two cauldrons reside upon the wooden desks, adjacent to their wooden chair counter part. Traditionally, the hispanic alchemist could be found tending to the foliage, or otherwise seated behind his desk.

Rules
1. Common Sense Courtesy
2. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you're confused
3. Be prepared.
4. Respect. Respect. Respect.

Students will be graded on several different aspects.

Exams
Projects
Homework
Quizzes
Participation
Tutorials

I have a no cheating, no lying, and no stealing, zero tolerance policy and will punish each student accordingly.

Syllabus
Desires of an Alchemist
Famous Alchemists
Expono Spell
Patronus Potion
Aqua Vitae

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:10 am
Professor of Alchemy
..............Ravenclaw
"The cycle of life only goes one direction,
not even alchemy can change that."

User Image
╔══════════════╗
Thoughts: '......'
╚══════════════╝

The complete and total absence of his students on the first day of classes did not go unnoticed, but it certainly did not change his lighthearted mood as he strutted towards the chalkboard and collected a stick of chalk in his hands as he set about preparing the class for the lesson that, could, or could not proceed as scheduled.

Quote:

Corrumpo: This spell causes any iron or iron based object to rust upon will.
Etymology: Corrumpo, meaning, to break up, destroy, annihilate/ spoil, weaken
Wandwork: A quick zigzag motion concluded with a thrust towards the object
Element: Wind and Water

Juan Angel Amorocho
User Image User Image User Image

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Professor Tahiri

Liberal Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:01 pm
User Image

❤❤ T A M A R AR A D C L I F F E
6TH YEAR, GRYFFINDOR ~ PREFECT
¦¦ if you're going through hell, keep on going
xxxxxxxxxx x x

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬▬▬▬▬ ▬▬

Tamara poked her head into the classroom and noticed that there was a Professor in the classroom. With a sigh and a nod, Tamara stepped through the doorway and walked into the classroom. She stopped next to a seat near the front of the classroom and dropped her bag beside the chair. "Hello Professor, I'm Tamara Radcliffe." She sat down in her choice seat, drew her notebook and quill and inkwell from the bag, then finally copied down the notes the Professor had written on the board.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:30 pm
Professor of Alchemy
..............Ravenclaw

User Image
╔══════════════╗
Thoughts: 'Ah, splendid.'
╚══════════════╝

"Ah, splendid. Good day to you, Miss Radcliffe, I'm Professor Amorocho, or, Amor, for short, and I'll be your new professor for alchemy this year." Juan exclaimed, a wide smile spread across his lips with a lighthearted moment of laughter, The man was tall, a polished bronze tint of flesh, and dark honey eyes to compliment him, garbed in traditional muggle wear of a suit and tie.

"Luckily for you, yesterday's class wasn't so important, a little brush up on the concept of magic in Alchemy, I'm not quite sure what your professor had taught you last year, but this year, we're going over spells, exclusively.

"Now, there's one key reason to why spells fall under the category of Alchemy, and not Transfiguration, or Charms, because of Alchemy's extensive collaboration with the four classic elements, wind, fire, water, and earth, and the underlying elements associated with them but often forgotten: mind, heart, soul, and body. Such as this spell, corrumpo."
Juan, after explaining the introductory thesis of alchemy, began to explain the procedure, wandwork, and thoughts neccesary to perform the spell. "The spell is a classic example of wind, and water, thus requiring a bit of mental power, and soul to execute it."

"Be a dear, and try the spell out on this." He offered with a hint of a hispanic tongue once his explanation had concluded and then conjured a metal chain to appear on Tamara's desk. It was a bit fast-paced, albeit, but with one student for this period, he could focus his attention upon her skill. And tweak what outline of a lesson plan he had... as a Ravenclaw, he lacked one sincere concept: organization, and preperation.

Juan Angel Amorocho

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Professor Tahiri

Liberal Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:59 pm
User Image

xxxxxxxxxx x x

Tamara listened to everything that the Professor said and took extensive, detailed notes on what he said. When he finished, he seemed excited. Suddenly, a thick chain appeared on her desk and the Professor said to experiment with the spell he had just described to her. She set her quill down beside her notebook and drew her wand from her pocket. Closing her eyes, she focused her mind on the forces of nature, specifically water and wind. After practicing the wand movements several times, she zigzaged her wand, then thrusted it towards the chain. "Cor-um-PEE-oh," she recited. The iron chain sprung up rust colors stains across the length of the chain. Tamara smiled at her success and looked to the Professor. "I did it," she said with a happy tone in her voice.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:42 pm
Professor of Alchemy
..............Ravenclaw

User Image
╔══════════════╗
Thoughts: 'Excellent,'
╚══════════════╝

"Excellent. Brilliantly executed." Juan immediately praised as he stepped forward from his leisure position against his prestigious oak desk and delicately lifted the linked chain in his fingers to examine the spots of rust. "Wonderfully done- I don't know how many times I used this spell to sneak into places, works wonderfully on one o' them padlocks." As Juan lied the chain back across the desk he retreated to the side of his chalk board.

Quote:
Wind = Mind
Water = Soul
Fire = Heart
Earth = Body

"Now, for centuries, alchemists believed that any one and all thing could be created with one, or a combination, of these attributes. It was often speculated that the main intent of alchemy was to create the elixer of life, the ressurection stone, or what have you-

"But that's purely the avarice side, the part that only ever makes it in the history books because of the roles that alchemists had played in part. But in truth, the real destination was for the Quintessence, the fifth element: Ether. Consisted of the above, and the below, the mental, as well as material. It can be thought of as the etheral embodiment of the life force that we encounter in dreams and altered states of conciousness-

"But, overall, it can be viewed as a divine truth. That nothing can exist without it, and everything exists for it, and with it."
He explained, ocassionally gestured with pantomimed waves as he spoke.

"But I'll follow up on that before class is over, for now, on to the next spell for the day, the counter charm: inveteratus. Essentially does the opposite, if you come across iron thats rusted, this will do the trick to reverse the effects." Juan stepped forward to demonstrate the wandwork, and the etymology behind the spell and then offered for the young girl to try and execute the spell herself on the very same links of metal.

Quote:
Inveteratus: Reverses the effects of rust on iron based objects.
Etymology: Invertatus, meaning, hardened-by-age, of long-lasting.
Wandwork: Exact opposite of its counter part, a thrust, concluded with a zig zig motion.
Element: Wind, and fire

Juan Angel Amorocho

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Professor Tahiri

Liberal Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:12 pm
User Image

xxxxxxxxxx x x

Tamara returned to her notebook as the teacher removed the chain from her desk and began to lecture again. She copied down the notes, listening intently to him as he spoke. When he mentioned the counter charm, Tamara made a star next to it, like she had next to the spell. When the rusted links were returned to her desk, she set her quill aside and picked up her wand. She practiced the wand movements a few times then nodded and exhaled. "In-VET-er-A-tus," she exclaimed and watched as the rusted chain returned to its bright color. Smiling, she nodded. Spellwork in the charms field was one of her specialties.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:29 am
Professor of Alchemy
..............Ravenclaw

User Image
╔══════════════╗
Thoughts: '....?'
╚══════════════╝

Leaned casually across his desk with one shiny shoe propped upwards on the wooden surface where his knee bent under him. It didn't take long, he noticed, as Tamara was keen on taking notes and had only truly required a few minutes of prep time before she began to recite the spells incantation. And, might he add, she did quite wonderfully too.

"Ah, brilliant." He concluded, and with a wave of his wand, the chain link would disappear from off the top of her desk. "The assignment for today, due at the end of next class, is to write one paragraph on which of these four categories of elements," Juan gestured behind his shoulder towards the chalk board. "-would it take to create who you are. Or, simply, what elements do you feel are akin to your personality. It can be one, a combination of the four, or it can be all the elements in one, it's all up to you.

"Now, do you have any questions before I dismiss you?"
He wondered with a slight tilt of his head.

Juan Angel Amorocho

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Professor Tahiri

Liberal Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:47 pm
User Image

xxxxxxxxxx x x

Tamara smiled when the Professor seemed pleased with her progress. She enjoyed making Professors happy. The Professor gave her an assignment and she smiled once again. Professor Amorocho gave her the assignment for next class and she recorded it in her notebook. Then he asked if she had any questions. She did. "Just one Professor. Could I display which element I most relate to? Since I, like my father, am skilled with the Incendio charm, I could easily show it off."  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:56 am
Professor of Alchemy
..............Ravenclaw

User Image
╔══════════════╗
╚══════════════╝

A thoughtful look had crossed his gaze, the assignment was simply supposed to be a reflective insight, and as his thoughts multiplied, carried on, and scattered through the wind, his attention finally focused with a smile. "Yes, Miss Radcliffe, you may, if you feel a visual demonstration will come more easily to you, then by all means, just keep in mind if that's how you wish to pursue this assignment then I do expect at least a sentence or so of an explanation to why you choose that element.

"Now, if that's all. I will see you next class."

Juan Angel Amorocho

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:25 am
Professor of Alchemy
..............Ravenclaw

User Image
╔══════════════╗
╚══════════════╝

A new day had passed over the castle's walls, it's corridors flooded with light from the suns morning rays, as did his classroom when he waved his wand about and caused each curtain to open up and brighten the room while offering a helping hand to the plants that lined the bacl half of the circular walls on the opposite end of the entrance doorway. Now, he began to scribble a decently long paragraph excerpted from the alchemy text books..

He never did like teaching with text books.

Quote:

The fundamental understanding of philosophical alchemy is that everything must be composed of higher and different kinds of abstractions from building blocks like these. In fact these building blocks in part. This is similar to the general law of discovery called Occham's Razor. The specifics center the Elements as they appear here not with physical material, but with principles that might be centered about Newtonian Physics, with the establishment of "fundaments of nature" that are constants at this level, but variables elsewhere in a very simple "Mathematics of the Creation." Those constants are well known and established: Force and Counterforce, Inertia and Potential. Those are the abstractions of (in order) fire, water, earth, and air. Thus there are logical dynamics of pairs already in these four basic elements.

On a slip of parchment, try to explain what this excerpt is trying to teach you. Make an educated guess, you will be graded on effort, not 'right, or wrong.'

Definitions:

Occanm's Razor= is a principle that generally recommends, when faced with competing hypotheses that are equal in other respects, select the one that makes the fewest new assumptions, using two important principles. (Or to put it simply, "the simplest explanation is most likely the correct one.")

The Principle of Plurality - Plurality should not be posited without necessity
The Principle of Parsimony - It is pointless to do with more what is done with less

Force: A force is an agency or influence that, if applied to a free body, results in an acceleration of the body.
Counterforce: An opposing or corresponding force
Inertia: The resistance of any physical object to a change in its state of motion or rest, or the tendency of an object
Potential: The energy stored in a body or in a system due to its position in a force field or due to its configuration.

[[[[Going on vacation this weekend, feel free to have Tamara come in and start working on the little assignment on the board while I'm gone.]]]]

Juan Angel Amorocho

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:45 pm
User Image

xxxxxxxxxx x x

Tamara walked into the classroom and sat down in her chair and listened to the Professor talk and mention an assignment. Happily, she set about working on it.

Quote:
Occanm's Razor is an idea that when two competing ideas meet head to head, pick the one with the least new ideas. The Principle of Plurality is about something that should not be posited without necessity. A force is an agency that when applied to a free body results in an acceleration of that body. A counter force is one that acts upon a previously acted body in a counter method. Inertia is the resistance to a movement.

Professor Tahiri

Liberal Lunatic

8,700 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:56 am
Professor of Alchemy
..............Ravenclaw

User Image
╔══════════════╗
Thoughts: 'Having one student is starting to have its perks...'
╚══════════════╝

Angel waited patiently, his attention sat on dutifully on the foilage that grew within his classroom. All aspects of life could be taught in alchemy, and he wondered why the subject wasn't a core class, but the more he thought about it, the less he would have wanted first years to be in his class anyway. Once he noted that Tamara had concluded her notes, and the little assignment, he stood away from the plants at the edge of the class to stand in the center.

"Good day, Miss Radcliffe," he greeted her. Noting how much easier it had become for him to learn this one students name, compared to an entire class.

"Now, today we will be going over the fundamentals of alchemy, the 'basic building blocks' if you will,

"But since alchemy is so diverse, spiritually, physically, mentally, scientifically, we'll only go over the most fundamental of these- the elements.

"In truth, this excerpt is only trying to explain that every thing in life, every ideal, and physical item, can be traced back to the same origins. Whether it's composed of water, or fire, or of force, and inertia, or heart and soul, it doesn't matter, but understanding these principles, overall, will make spell casting a hell of a-

"Am I allowed to say that while I teach- anyway- it'll be a hell of a lot easier.

"Magic doesn't appear out of no where, it takes the potential energy all around it to fuel it, from you, from the environment, everything is connected, and as such, anything around you can affect your spell casting abilities, like if you want to start a fire, but its raining, so you can't."

"Now, fire, one of the most untainted and purest of all elements, is also one of the most dangerous. Spells have a tendency to lead to more damage if done incorrectly, and, requires much more raw force and a lot of heart."
Angel explained without missing a beat.

He took a step forward, slid his thumb and forefinger around the parchment that she had written the short assignment and scanned it over. "Now, Miss Radcliffe, if you will, would you like to demonstrate yesterday's homework for me?" He questioned, noting that he had pushed fire to the top of his list, rather then last and then moved to place her assignment on his desk for him to look over after class.

Juan Angel Amorocho

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:37 am
Professor of Alchemy
..............Ravenclaw

User Image
╔══════════════╗
Thoughts: 'Having one student is starting to have its perks...'
╚══════════════╝

The next day, Angel laid out a single slip of parchment on a single desk, Tamara's. It was a quiz, surprise, surprise, and even though Angel, himself, does not like the idea of quizzing or testing one's attributes, it would be folly of him to not make it seem as though he was trying. It wasn't as if he didn't want to be there, but teaching was a better punishment, he had to admit.

Quote:

Alchemy Quiz I

1. List the four elemental building blocks of Alchemy, and the four underlying elements associated with them.

2. Briefly explain what the Quintessence in Alchemy means.

3. Construct the spell skeleton for the following spells: Corrumpo, Inveratus. Don't forget to include the etymology, and element.

[[[Feel free to go to his office to roleplay the last homework assignment for credit]]]

Juan Angel Amorocho

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100

Essy ze Ninja
Vice Captain

Partying Phantom

10,275 Points
  • Dramatic Shipping 25
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tipsy 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:19 pm
Professor of Alchemy
..............Ravenclaw

User Image
╔══════════════╗
Thoughts: '...'
╚══════════════╝

As the professor of alchemy entered the classroom, he ushered a simple wave of his wand to create a flutter of his handwriting to appear on the chalkboard at the front of the class. Striding diligently across the rows of desks and chairs, Angel reached the front of his class and turned to meet his students. ”Welcome class to Alchemy III, I am Professor Juan Angel Amorocho, call me Professor Angel, or just professor is fine. This year, we’re going to learn about the desires of an alchemist during the boom of the renaissance. Now, during the renaissance era is when the height of a prolonged lifestyle sparked birth, along with the desire to be rich and famous. So, of course, there had always been a search for a stone which could convert ordinary metals to gold, immortality for the spirit and soul, and the creation of artificial life.

“Now, unbeknownst to many alchemists, the true reasons behind the study of alchemy was not only for science, but for spiritual ambition as well. Alchemists believe that there is a quintessence, where the Above can be created in the Below, thus, heaven on earth in spirit and mind. So, with that in mind, there was only a very small percentage of alchemists true to the ideal of discovering the truth of alchemy, which is why in ancient texts, it can be impossible to discern which ingredients is being used because of the basic, generic terms used for each items.

“All of this was to dissuade the callous and greedy of heart from discovering the truths behind alchemy, and it’s because of those wizards that we have spells like Expono to help identify what type of man you may be dealing with during experiments and such,

“Also, during that era, alchemists had branched off on their own study of branch of magic, transmutations, which is essentially exactly like transfigurations, the only difference is that these spells were created during alchemists during the peak of their research to recieve the name, although it has becoming rarer and rarer to hear the words transmutation of transfigurations….

“Anyway, this spell is quite exhausting and requires a keen sense of mind, but the wand movements and pronunciation are quite simple in comparison. A simple and gentle tap on the temple with your wand, and then guide the tip down the towards the heart as you recite the incantation, ex-poe-NU.

The trick is to imagine yourself in the darkness, you can't see who your facing, but you know they're there, so use every bit of information you've ever seen or heard from them to help shift their body into the form that best represents their motives, their ambition in life. Now, if one of you would like and try the spell on me as a demonstration for the other students, please, come on up...

"You might receive house points for it...?”

Quote:

Name of the spell: Expono
Pronunciation of the spell: EX-poe-nu
Meaning behind the name: Expono is Latin for exposed
Effects of the spell: This spell transfigures the effected wizard to form into a version of their true selves, which is only applicable upon certain wizards depending upon if that wizard has cast themselves behind a mask. Works well with emotional and spiritual means.
Wand movements: Gently tap the tip of the wand against the wizard’s temple, and then guide the wand towards the heart while reciting the incantation.
Is there a distance requirement?: Must be in immediate distance
Are the effects lasting?: Only for several minutes
Anything else?: Spell works best upon the sleeping, or the unexpected (often does not work at all.)

Juan Angel Amorocho

Fifth Year Classes

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas