12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:12 pm
Meaning.

Problems caused by it's usage.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:50 am
Really, Rei? User Image I think you are smart enough to choose a better, more appropriate and relevant word for today's gobal community. User Image Think about it.  

Psyzapp
Crew

Ruthless Lover

10,250 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

Faerie KatrinaZ
Crew

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:02 pm
I agree with Psy. You really should take the time to think about the consequences of using such words before you speak/post. There are plenty of other, more appropriate words that reflect same or similar meanings that won't offend others. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:50 pm
I don't think it's a "good" word, but I don't think it's a "bad" word either. It's just a word. That's like asking if "shiny" is a good or bad word. It's an adjective... and unless there is some kind of malignant intent behind its use, it's nothing more than a means of describing something.

I find myself agreeing with this quote from part of the article you linked:

David Howard Incident
Julian Bond, then chairman of the NAACP, deplored the offense that had been taken at Howard's use of the word. "You hate to think you have to censor your language to meet other people's lack of understanding", he said. "David Howard should not have quit. Mayor Williams should bring him back — and order dictionaries issued to all staff who need them."

However, purposefully using a word that you -know- people are going to take the wrong way is completely different from just using a word you would have normally used for the situation. Knowingly trying to offend people and then going back and saying, "but the word isn't racist so I'm not actually being offensive" is a childish thing to do, and I would classify that as malignant intent.  

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:56 pm
I didn't mean to upset, I was just taking an opinion poll.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:30 pm
Rei Inaba

I really don't think anyone here is upset. We were just expressing our opinions ... which is what you wanted.  

Faerie KatrinaZ
Crew

Sparkly Fairy

Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:47 pm
Faerie KatrinaZ
Rei Inaba

I really don't think anyone here is upset. We were just expressing our opinions ... which is what you wanted.
oh ok  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:46 am
Great word! Only the poorly educated would find it offensive!

oh.....I guess that's mostly black people.......

sweatdrop Please excuse the joke...not trying to offend anyone. I don't really see a problem with using the word niggardly, but I often feel that people are more easily offended than they ought to be. Not sure what can be done about that.  

Krego-sama

Rainbow Regular

7,850 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250

FireSpark
Crew

Aged Citizen

8,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:07 pm
Hmm. I didn't even realize it was a word.

That being said, words cannot be inherently good or bad. It is the manner in which people speak them, and in what context people place them in. Admittedly, there are certain words and terms that have existed for so long in their negative ways, and have become so ingrained with their negative definitions, that there is no separating them. At this point, the word should be jettisoned from the language with all due haste.

But if a person simply utters a word that sounds like one of these "jettisonable" words, it is not their responsibility to inform everyone around them of that fact. It should fall upon the listener to either listen more closely, or barring that seemingly impossible task in today's society, seek clarification from the speaker on the all too possible chance that they misheard.

I even have a anecdote for this kind of situiation. Many years ago, when my brothers and I were but wee lads, one of my younger brothers had a bit of an impediment upon his speech. Made numerous words difficult. Sometimes combinations of words. Words like "Duck Hunt". Now if your brain doesn't immediately jump to the gutter on that one, it's because I typed it correctly. However, when he spoke it, it came out almost as one word. "Duhc-hunt."

Parental hilarity did not ensue.

My point being this. In the same way it is people that have given words their meaning, it is people who continue to give words their power. if you find a word offensive, do not use it. Do not acknowledge it. And ignore it when other people do use it. If it isn't shocking and emotionally charging, who would want to use the word then?  
Serious Conversations

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games