Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Hamsters..CANNIBALISM??

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

rie_panda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:09 pm
yea, hamsters like any other animals, may tend to eat their children once they wouldn't recognize them or if they are not so well in taking care of them (especially first timers) but to my surprise, adult hamsters doesnt only eat newborns but they do also eat fellow adult ones sad

i have this huge problem with my hamsters. i have no idea why this only happen to my black and brown teddy bear hamsters. the other white ones doesnt do cannibalism with adults. i thought i have finally controlled this problem few months ago but unfortunately, it reoccurred.

i dont know how'd this happen, i feed them all the time, change their water all the time but still, they eat each other, especially female ones. i separated the adult from the youngsters and also categorized them from female from male.

for you, what are the possibilities of this type of problem.

hope you could help me so that i could somehow fix this crying crying

thanks n.n  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:38 pm
You might just have to separate them. What are their enclosures like? if you can't separate them maybe more space so they aren't crowed, and more hides.  

imderanged

rie_panda

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:20 pm
i use aquariums. large ones. they actually have adequate spaces.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:38 pm
teddy bear hamsters should NOT be housed together as adults, they are not social animals, and can and will fight to the death, you need to separate them asap or it will likely continue.  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:21 am
Hamsters are not social animals, they're extremely territorial. They only get together for mating and then the female kicks the male out. You need to house your hamsters singly, otherwise they will continue to fight and continue to die.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:49 am
Seperate them. They're unimaginably territorial, so unless you have an entire house with only 3 hamsters in it, you need to give them all seperate enclosures. Don't even bring them together to play.

And from what it sounds like, it sounds like there's been breeding going on too. Seperate each hamster and sell the ones that you're least attached to, or all the ones of one gender. You're not ready to breed them if you didn't know that they're not community pets.  

Azusanga

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:20 pm
As many have mentioned, unless these are dwarf hamsters, this will likely happen again and again. Syrians and like species are solitary in nature. Some pet stores fail to inform their customers of this as a way to sell more of them. DEPLORABLE, but true. Separate those hamsters.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:36 am
thanks for your help everyone. i have followed all of your suggestions and it had worked n.n i'll further continue on observing any progress of separating them n.n 3nodding  

rie_panda

Akiska

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:45 pm
Teddybear hamsters like all larger hamsters (certain dwarf hamsters can be kept in groups) are SOLITARY animals, and will claim territory, and kill all other hamster interlopers... And yes... In the hamster world the best way to get rid of a body that will attract predators, and you can't move away from is to eat it.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games