Accident prone doggies for everyone! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:59 am
You jinxed it Savage. It seems like our dogs our mentally connected and enjoy being injured together. Plus my dog lacks the ability to not be injured. He was playing frisbee with mom and he ran into, get this, a tree. stare Like, is he doing this on purpose? Pretty sure it's his elbow, but I don't think there's a break cause he let me manipulate it. I'm at my aunts farm at the moment pet sitting her furries, mom called to say it's worse, he won't put ANY weight on it this morning.

So, I'm off to check him out. I don't think we're gona rush to the vet just yet. Cause like I say, pretty sure it's not broken. I'll give it at least a week before we go spending MORE money on xrays and maybe even more physio.

I need to explain to Cowboy I don't have a full time job anymore. I get my last cheque this week with my 4% and then I'm not even working enough hours to cover gas , insurance and phone bill. Started applying at a few clinics. That would be really awesome if I could get a discount on vet bills. Maybe a frequent buyers card lol. This brings back my thoughts on pet insurance. Maybe I'll crunch some numbers and see if it woulda been worth it.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:48 am
Please tell me its not his left elbow, that would be too damned creepy!

Poor Cowboy, hope he's feeling better soon!  

SmoothSavage

Eloquent Gawker

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:11 pm
No lol, right elbow. I tried a restriction bandage. Cause he just doesn't get the whole "rest" concept. But he had an absolute s**t fit about that. I finally caved and took out the middle layer so it's not really restricting his movement as much. Like he's putting weight on it again but he can't move it as much. I'm gona have to crate him too.

Ssuucckkss cause sat we had a frisbee trial sad  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:54 pm
Aw no! God, you guys just got back into the sports too. sad

Riddle's crate is a godsend, because she doesn't like the whole rest thing either. Plus she's SNEAKY about jumping up on the couch/bed if you look away for an instant. Of course she likes to circumvent the ramps. evil

Do you have any access to Traumeel? Its an over the counter homeopathic pain medication for humans, arnica based. Our vet gave it to us when Riddle originally hurt what we thought was her shoulder. Since its homeopathic, there's no affect on the liver/kidneys and it doesn't interact with other medications. Apparently a lot of agility and sport people use it when their dogs get injured. We use it whenever she's having a bad pain day. Her dosage at 52-53lbs is one 300 mg tablet, crushed up and poured into a cheek pouch.  

SmoothSavage

Eloquent Gawker

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:19 pm
I can't remember what the meds Cowboy's acupuncture vet gave us. It's a Chinese herbal tablet, and I've used it on myself lol. Pretty sure it's not traumeel, though i might be able to order some at work if I can figure out who makes it. We carry very fee homeopathic remedies cause they don't sell before the experation half the time  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:49 pm
You can count me in on it also. Rushie is going through a really reckless stage and it is doing my head in. Pretty sure my hair is going to turn grey any day now...

Three and a half weeks ago she ran pull pelt into a stick and ended up with a puncture and a 2 inch gash in her chest. Cleaned it up and put her on rest+ no silly stuff for five days until it granulated, then restricted running until it was well healed...took about a week and a half. Theeeen when I decided she could mooch again she managed to get the EXACT SAME INJURY an inch below the old one by being an idiot and getting hung up on a barbed wire fence. mad
That one has been healed enough for her to run again for several days so I took her out to play with one of her best pals, a kelpiexcollie. First she went full pace into a tree [she and Cowboy are totally on the same wavelength] and went tumbling along the ground like a rag doll. That was completely alarming but she was up immediately and kept going.Then she went full pace into her friend and they both went flying. Omg. She let out a yelp for that and stopped for about 30 seconds, must have hurt more than the tree.

Whyowhyowhy.  

Skeksis

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:29 am
are all the active dogs in the guild this accident prone? you guys have me paranoid about sowrm now gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:29 am
@Skek, CLEARLY it's because you named her Rushie. I made that mistake with Blaze. lol, I can totally picture puppy zoomies and crashing into things. Cowboy use to play lawn bowling at the dog park. He would run shoulder to shoulder with some dog and play chicken by running full tilt towards a group of people and see who would swerve and who would crash right into their legs. Or when he was herding them, he'd often wipeout. Sometimes tumbling on the ground a bit but always popping back up and going after them again. It's probably a good thing he's a bit of a snob now lol. He's gotten selective about who he plays with.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Animelover955

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:58 am
Geez cowboy give mama a break!

Accident prone? no. suicidal tendencies? yes

I swear Bo is trying to do the unthinkable. I mean there was the whole dock incident I told you about, then he flew off the back deck a few weeks ago and completely misjudged the jump and his back legs made a sickening snap against the top stairs and I nearly had a heart attack, but low and behold no injury at all. he had preceded to do some boxer burns right after I checked him over stare

And lastly we were at the same lake a few months ago and the dogs were off leash and my sister was playing a threw a stick and the pups had been off sniffing some rocks not paying attention and all of a sudden Bo comes out of nowhere and charges and goes completely over a drop off that's maybe 8 feet high(below is the beach and some water)? God scared us all to death and we ran over to the ledge and he was no where. Idiot came up behind us wiggling like a mad man and again amazingly no injury.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:16 am
God, reading these stories its like I'm reading about Riddle! She's done stuff like that sooo many times. Its scary!

Thankfully Melon has really good body awareness, he's not so accident prone.  

SmoothSavage

Eloquent Gawker

Krissim Klaw
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:38 am
*Starts handing out heart shaped band aids to all the injured doggies. Owe.

Kirby is a complete clutz also. The only thing that probably saves him from serious injury is he isn't that hard core. He is one of the more laid back papillons I've personally known. One thing he constantly does though that makes me cringe is to body slam into door frames because he tries to take the turn into rooms too fast.

The reason he takes the turns so fast is usually when he suddenly realizes he lost sight of me and needs to check in to make sure I haven't magically poofed into thin air. It is like he thinks that extra second it would take to slow it down would mean the difference between life and death. gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:10 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
@Skek, CLEARLY it's because you named her Rushie. I made that mistake with Blaze. lol, I can totally picture puppy zoomies and crashing into things. Cowboy use to play lawn bowling at the dog park. He would run shoulder to shoulder with some dog and play chicken by running full tilt towards a group of people and see who would swerve and who would crash right into their legs. Or when he was herding them, he'd often wipeout. Sometimes tumbling on the ground a bit but always popping back up and going after them again. It's probably a good thing he's a bit of a snob now lol. He's gotten selective about who he plays with.

Haha, clearly. razz I should have named her 'Sensible'...maybe then she wouldn't try to jump barbed wire fences as an afterthought.>.<
Lol, crazy Cowboy. I know exactly how nerve-wracking the wipeouts must have been [and how alarming t is to have them heading towards your legs with no intention of stopping]. That reminds me; Rushie was chasing a rabbit several weeks ago; it had a bit of a start on her so she was steaming up behind as fast as she could ,then when she reached it instead of throwing in for a strike she decided she was just going to body slam it instead, which knocked it about 4 ft straight up into the air and she went barreling through, bunny hit the ground behind her and managed to make it back to cover before she figured out which direction it had gone. rofl

@Savage- At least there's one dog in the guild with body awareness.XD  

Skeksis

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:36 pm
Well at least I'm not the only one with a crazy dog. I am trying to keep my cool and not rush off to the vet this time. Xrays are always a minimum of 2 views and I know they will want to rule out fractuce so that's maybe a 200 minimum bill. But it has been 48hrs and there has been absolutely no improvement. In fact, it has been a constant battle with the dog AND my family to keep him quiet. I took the restriction bandage off this morning. I wanted to leave him in his crate but mom said he'd lay down on his bed once we were gone, so I caved and just locked him in the kitchen. But when I got home, he was outside, with the whole back yard to run around.

My mother is very passive, just let him do what he wants, animals KNOW their limit. Yes but this isn't an animal this is COWBOY. The dog who would like to play frisbee on three legs.

I'm having an internal debate of wether to put on a proper restriction bandage, where he wouldn't be able to move or put weight on the leg at all, and just wait out his hissy fit. Or leave just the vet wrap on, so he at least doesn't bend it, but he still puts weight on it more than I'd like. Or just, like mom says, leave him be and hope it heals itself in time.

uugghh, and I'm scared if I way TOO long before seeing a vet, it could be getting worse, or there could be some permanent damage. Like say it IS broken, and starts to heal wrong! crying

I thought pets were suppose to reduce stress.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:14 am
Cowboy the morning after the accident, says, yummm, I should hurt myself more often. But clearly trying not to move the leg.

User Image

"If you think this bone makes up for this torture you are sadly mistaken"
User Image

" I CANT GET COMFORTABLE< UGH< TAKE IT OFF!"
User Image  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100