Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Politics and Debates
Racism in the "Gay Community"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Attention Whore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:08 am
Do you think there is? and if you do, what do you think about it?

Or are you completely oblivious.

OR are you one of the one's who discriminate and limit yourself from certain ethnic groups? If you are, why do you believe that only a man of a certain skin tone is "right?", if you haven't opened your mind to exploring different possibilities?

It just blows my mind how someone can write off a whole ethnic group based on their skin color, not just on a "dating" level, but from interacting at all.

I'd like your thoughts, and go!  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:51 pm
We are people and as such there will be discrimination and racism within our community, just as there is in every other community - I've even seen homosexual people who openly discriminate against those who are of other orientations. All we can do is try our best to rectify it and be better than those who act as such.  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

Gordums

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:11 am
As Scratch said, there's in racism in every community.

It's very prevalent in our community, and honestly it doesn't make sense. As a group that has fought against oppression and hate, our community has hate directed towards other communities and that's hypocritical on so many levels. It bugs me when people say racism and homophobia are not the same because that in itself is homophobic or racist because you don't want to associate your problems with the other community.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:11 am
Le Scratch
We are people and as such there will be discrimination and racism within our community, just as there is in every other community - I've even seen homosexual people who openly discriminate against those who are of other orientations. All we can do is try our best to rectify it and be better than those who act as such.

Yes, I've seen discrimination both in orientation and race in the gay community. Why? I have no idea why. We are in the gay community. We get discriminated against every day. The last thing we should be doing is discriminating eachother. That just breaks apart our close-knit family. No one has a right to judge, but most of the people in the gay community have been judged. We shouldn't be discriminating against anyone, especially if we know how it feels.  

Harmony8910

4,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Gaian 50

The Laziest Czar

6,100 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:51 am
Personally, I think if said "racism" exists in the community, it'd be the supporters and those who're not actually "in" the community. I honestly don't fight for equality, because I know it's pointless. I'm not trying to depress anyone, but it's just reality. We'd need someone of LGBT in Congress. Thats usually how a race got accepted, so I'm pretty sure it'd be the same with orientation. Anyway, back to my first statement. I could be totally wrong, I dunno. It just feels to me a supporter would get angry at a straight person for... Well being straight. I've actually seen that before, and I kinda wanted to scream. Thats all for me, g'day.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:36 pm
Who says a gay guy can't be a racist a*****e?  

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

Attention Whore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:09 am
@Le Scratch - That's basically the underlying statement.

@Gordums - So hypocritical. On a related note to racism and homophobia, some people say that it's the same with not being attracted to one's skin color as the same to not being attracted to a woman. "It's just a preference." And that infruiates me, one's skin color is definitely not related to having the opposite sex's anatomy.

@Northe - I didn't quite understand, "a supporter would get angry at a straight person for... Well being straight."
Where's the race issue there? Elaborate?

I just find racism to be a social impediment within any community, but even more so in the gay community because we as LGBT people, as @Harmony8910 said, already knows how it feels to be discriminated against but even so, some of us still discriminate against others of the same sexual orientation based upon skin tone. (Sorry I probably sound redundant.)  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:10 pm
Attention Whore
@Gordums - So hypocritical. On a related note to racism and homophobia, some people say that it's the same with not being attracted to one's skin color as the same to not being attracted to a woman. "It's just a preference." And that infruiates me, one's skin color is definitely not related to having the opposite sex's anatomy.

That's so annoying. People need to stop seeing sexuality and sexual attraction as reducible and categorical, but rather see it as a fluid spectrum

Gordums

Politics and Debates

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff