Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply General Discussion
I want YOUR opinion.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ForteAmora

Fashionable Sex Symbol

6,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:43 pm
Ok there is this constant argument between my parents. My Dad believes that as being my Mother figure, my step mom should set an example (You know like Monkey see, Mokey do.) However, My Step mom things that I should only do as she says and setting an example doesn't matter. So... Who do you think is right?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:55 pm
Setting an example matters.  

Destructive-Kiwi

Dapper Gekko

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Generous 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:52 am
The parent must to set an example. If I told you not to steal candy but then you see me doing it, are you honestly going to follow my word? Without a follow-through in action, words are meaningless.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:17 am
Why do we tell others what they should do if we ourselves don't do it?

Gordums

Harmony8910

4,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:06 am
I think your father is right. Think about it, do you ever listen to a dictator? I'm not a big fan of dictators. I think I would listen more, if the person ordering me around, did the same exact thing he or she expects me to do.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:32 am
Well unless you're living with someone who is aware they have a problem or do something wrong, but find it really hard to stop. And they don't want you to fall into the same trap they did. That's ok, surely?  

Farthingale

7,575 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

PigsGoMooo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:35 am
Le Scratch
The parent must to set an example. If I told you not to steal candy but then you see me doing it, are you honestly going to follow my word? Without a follow-through in action, words are meaningless.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:55 pm
obviously you gotta set an example, monkey see monkey do is alot easier to follow than do as I say not as I do.  

cajunantichrist

earthowl

Shirtless Lunatic

6,250 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:18 am
Do what you feel is right.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:33 pm
Setting examples works better, but honestly, it's your life.
Follow your mind and conscience, and do what you think is right for you.

grandaire

Ursine Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Married 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

onepromise17

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:50 pm
You have to lead by example. Doing anything else is hypocrisy! It's why we're discouraged to swear in front of small children.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:15 am
After living under a dictator for most of my life until I got adopted out of the hellhole that was my birth home, I'm all for setting an example. My mother would say not to criticize others or gossip but then come home and b***h for hours. She said it wasn't ok to hit but then turn around and I'd have bruises on my arms. You get the point though. It's all about the example.  

vann-haal13

Fashionable Explorer

3,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

OMGITSMiShKi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:52 pm
Both. If she can dish it out she can do it also.
But then you should always respect your elders.
s**t will come back to you if you don't.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:54 am
vann-haal13
After living under a dictator for most of my life until I got adopted out of the hellhole that was my birth home, I'm all for setting an example. My mother would say not to criticize others or gossip but then come home and b***h for hours. She said it wasn't ok to hit but then turn around and I'd have bruises on my arms. You get the point though. It's all about the example.
I also grew up being abused I was taken away from my biological mother and she blames it on her kids and she said always to do the right thing and when her rights were terminated on all of her first 4 children that was the best day of my life. she would say she wasn't a bad mom but tell that to my older brother who when he was 5 and came home from school she pushed him on the ground and started kicking him she wqas horrible and I told myself that I would never do that to my kids and she says it was her dads fault for abusing her and that is not true  

Chaos Tabbean

Timid Cat

DayhawK68

Romantic Hunter

7,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:38 pm
She should be an example. If she says one thing and does another what is she to expect from you?  
General Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games