Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Does it matter if your doctor is an animal person?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does your animal-loving interfere with other goals?
  Yes (Post!)
  Not really, no.
  *is glad Kipluck goes to therapy*
View Results

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:45 pm
Does your attitude about animals color your OTHER opinions? Like of people?

I am having the hardest time dealing with my new therapist. I had a therapist I really liked. She was like my friend. However, she has recently had a baby... and made the decision to leave her practice to be a full-time SAHM. So she transferred my records to her replacement. Which should be fine. New-Dr. is a good psychologist. She is also nice, personable, etc. Then we start talking about what I do with my free time/Critters 2 Go. She tells me "Oh, you have sugar gliders?! My daughter had one!" First problem... ONE. Second? The daughter is 8 years old. Gliders are NOT good KID pets. Third, "HAD." Yeah, she tells me "well, and they just DIE. I mean, like after a few months. How long do they live for anyway?"
Me: "15 years."
Oh, AND "and they stink so bad." Now, gliders DO smell, but mostly if they have crappy diets. Well, and the boys just stink to high heaven when they aren't fixed.
ME: "was it a male?"
HER: "Oh, I have no idea" she laughs, "like I said, they die so easy."
ME: "yeah, they have pretty specific needs, a really specialized diet, stuff like that." She blew that off pretty quick.

Okay, so she is still a good therapist, but the whole time I am stewing and seeing her as this lady who got an exotic pet after doing no research for her daughter who was too young to care for it and doesn't seem particularly sorry about it's early death due to, in all likelihood, incorrect care. Grumble grumble.

So, am I being completely irrational? The thing is, if she was some other doctor... I mean there is no necessity to click with your podiatrist! But someone who is supposed to be helping me with my emotional/mental health? It is probably petty, but I have a really hard time with the whole thing.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:10 pm

Well seeing as she's your new therapist, shouldn't you talk to her about how you feel about that and enlighten her on animal care?

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Eizoryu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:45 pm
I would think that, seeing as how she's supposed to help you on mental/emotional matters, it wouldn't be too much to ask for her to show a little more... I don't know what the right word is... Sensitivity? Less ignorance? Well, basically, I think she needs to understand that you're an animal person, and it's REALLY hard for people to click when one person is a well-researched animal person, and the other your standard "pets are disposable" ignoramus.
I honestly have a hard time befriending or connecting with people who don't give a damn about their pets, so to answer your question, yes, it does color my other opinions, especially of people.

You will likely have a hard time making progress if the subject turns to pets and she has another story like that. I know I would.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:38 am
I have the same problem with some of my friends. Well, the used to be friends. Not because of their issues with animals tho.

The other one hated cats. So she behaved like a complete b***h to my cats. Literally pushed them off the couch pretty roughly.

The other one said I abused my cats because I keep them inside. rolleyes

Things like that totally change my view on people.  

pompoennetje

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:31 am
How people treat animals in general colors my opinions of them.

And honestly if this person is supposed to be helping you with your emotional/mental issues and is causing you more because of how they view animals then it's definitely an issue. At the very least you should let them know this. At the worst you may need to find a new therapist.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:32 am
There's a very good reason that my therapy is at a horse clinic.  

Azusanga

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:36 pm
Vanilla eXee

Well seeing as she's your new therapist, shouldn't you talk to her about how you feel about that and enlighten her on animal care?

I would like to "like" this comment.

I think it really does matter, when it is something you are so passionate about. It can be hard to find people who are...willing to take the time or money to provide what we believe to be the bear necessities.

One of my friend's, is the part of why I got into wanting rats. But she only had one. And then she got a pair, in a cage that was really too small, and one of them starved, and she said it was cause she was so skiddish that she never saw her or realized that the other rat was hoarding all the food. And then she started telling me that my plan to do sub Q injections daily for Rascal when his kidney disease becomes advanced, THAT was too much work for a cat, and at that point I should just let him go. I was kind of in shock, since it's easier to give SubQ than it is to pill a cat. And I don't think he should be put down simply because he'll require some special care. Needless to say, don't talk to her anymore.

None of my friends are as devoted as I am, but at least they understand me.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:51 pm
So, I saw her again. For now, I have decided to make it very clear to her how important my animals are to me. And try to share the proper way to care for/research pets as well. If that does not work, I may have to look for a new therapist. Just her asking "so how are your pets?" made me feel like a dog being petted backwards. I felt like saying "YOU DON'T KNOW ANIMALS ENOUGH TO ASK!" I honestly think I get for "therapy" from my blog and from Gaia than I do from THERAPY sometimes. rolleyes  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:44 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
]

None of my friends are as devoted as I am, but at least they understand me.

That's good.

I got only one friend who really understands me and my love for my cats.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:53 pm
My life revolves around animals. I have a degree in animal science, I work in a pet store, I have had pets all my life, and all of my friends either have pets, want pets or at least like animals. I couldn't be more than a passing acquaintance with someone who didn't like animals simply because I don't have much else to talk about. smile

If her disregard or lack of interest in the care of an animal she has taken responsibility for bothers you (completely understandable) you should bring it to her attention.  

Bengalcat

Obsessive Lunatic

8,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Grunny Grabber 50

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:18 pm
Kipluck
So, I saw her again. For now, I have decided to make it very clear to her how important my animals are to me. And try to share the proper way to care for/research pets as well. If that does not work, I may have to look for a new therapist. Just her asking "so how are your pets?" made me feel like a dog being petted backwards. I felt like saying "YOU DON'T KNOW ANIMALS ENOUGH TO ASK!" I honestly think I get for "therapy" from my blog and from Gaia than I do from THERAPY sometimes. rolleyes

If she's worth her fees, not only will she listen to you about your animals and their care, but she'll learn from you. If not, well, whether you're paying or you have insurance that pays, there are plenty of other therapists who could use the money.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:42 am
One of my therapists was talking about me getting out of the house more. I have a sick grandmother and I have to stay home most of the time to take care of her. No, I really don't get out of the house a lot, because I have to care for her. He told me that since I loved animals, I should volunteer. And I told him I just don't have the time, then went on a list of all the animals I had.. and he told me, "Well, throw them all in a backpack and walk somewhere." And ended the session with that.

WTF? How does that help? You're not funny. And, I never went back. That was my first meeting with him. That just annoyed me to no end.  

PuddleBunny

Tipsy Bunny

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces