Reply 04. ✿ - - - Fashion And Clothes
Harajuku Style ~ Can I pull it off in the US? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Cantarella

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:21 pm
Heeey peoples. Recently I've been obsessed with Harajuku styles. I'd really love to give it a shot, especially the Decora style. (a lot of layering, a lot of accessories, a lot of colors)(examples below)

User Image
User Image
User Image

The thing is I live in a small town that is very cookie cutter (all the girls have similar style and what-not)

I wanna know what you guys think, and if you have an affinity for Harajuku styles. If so, what kind and where can I get it in the states? (I'm hoping to make this a popular topic ^_^)  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:11 pm
It kinda looks like something scene kids would wear imo.
If you limit the accessories, I think it'll be okay. But the girl on the left in the second pic and the one in the third are overdoing it. The rest are pretty borderline. Just limit it to one or two hair clips and accessories (bracelet, necklaces, rings, etc.) and don't use multitudes of colors and makeup.

2A30128

Shameless Heckler

12,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Partygoer 500

pure as snow

Fashionable Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:03 pm
Ginkitsune-chan

mmm I would have to agree with shady-chan just a little, it does look a little like what scene kids do but what they do is wear colorful colors mix with black. That is the only different. Like maybe 1st picture.
the 2nd picture. mmmm I don't think they were wearing that for public maybe just for the picture. I mean it's cute but it has a lot of accessories I mean you can't even see who they are. So no.
But! The 3rd one. When I saw it I fell in love with it. It's perfect. It has a lot of bright colors and it just looks cute. >////< I would totally see that as "normal" Although you might stand out where you live xD. I mean it looks like scene but it's more cute then scene xD >/////<
mmm I mean honestly I always say make it yourself just because it's me and I know how to. But if you really want to buy stuff, go to the mall, most of the might be in clares or somewhere girly where they have a lot of colorful things xD
To be honest all of these styles around the world don't just come from one place. Like for me I just love how korean girls dress like but when I studied closely I saw that it's how american preppy ( rude >.> ) girl dress in school but they know how to but accessories on better xD. ( see the differences? )
I think you can pull it off. I mean it's the generation of change/weird/different xD ( although we still all dress the same :/ )
Good luck in experiencing yourself heart heart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:14 pm
Harajuku Styles are soooo cute <3

I live in a small town also where everyone basically dresses the same... i think it'd be awesome if you went for it and showed off a style that's pretty different from everyone else's. But i would not go too far over the edge with all the accessories. XD

otherwise i say go for it!

TheCassMeow

Fashionable Nerd

7,400 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Lady Cantarella

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:35 pm
It does seem a bit scene xD
Actually, the middle pic is the most common form of Decora. I've decided I'm gonna give it a shot (once I can find some stores that sell cute stuff ;o)
And I like the Korean style too :3
Especially the clothes Girl's Generation (my fave Korean pop band) wear >w<
And I just wanna thank you guys for responding, I wasn't too sure how this topic would catch on ^_^  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:12 pm
Ginkitsune-chan

YAY ^^
I wish you luck heart heart
ME too! I love SNSD's style. It's simple yet looks fancy

pure as snow

Fashionable Fairy

Lady Cantarella

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:28 am
pure as snow
Ginkitsune-chan

I'll do my best!!! > biggrin
Yay! A fellow fan! ^_^
I heard they're going to be in New York on October 23! I wish I could go!!! T crying T  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:40 am
Ginkitsune-chan
pure as snow
Ginkitsune-chan

I'll do my best!!! > biggrin
Yay! A fellow fan! ^_^
I heard they're going to be in New York on October 23! I wish I could go!!! T crying T

WHAT! HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS!
HOW COULD I NOT HAVE HEARD ABOUT THIS! ;.; I really want to go. Why did it have to be NY. I live so far ;.;

pure as snow

Fashionable Fairy

Lady Cantarella

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:11 pm
pure as snow

My friend told me about it. She's a HUGE K-pop fan. I wanna know how much it is >.<
And how I'd get there in the first place >.>  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:13 pm
*only person who can tell the difference between scene and visual/oshare kei/decora* emo

I love it. I have gone through many visual kei styles. I want to go back to it.

Let me live vicarously through youuuu. XD Haha.  

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

Harmonical Melodies

Hallowed Lunatic

13,700 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Battle: Knight 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:26 pm
I love the style, and I think you should go for it! I don't see why everyone is complaining about all the accessories. If you like it like that, then go right ahead!
I really like all the layers of accessories, unlike most people. I would totally wear the outfit of the first girl in the second picture.
Also, I think you can pull it off in the US. It's a cute look! Anyway, don't worry if people think you look dumb or stupid (You wouldn't) in the outfits. As long as you like it, that's all that matters. biggrin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:32 pm
yea it would fly in certaion parts of the US like hawaii  

monkeybite

5,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Citizen 200

Chocolate Delicacy

Distinct Millionaire

6,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:07 pm
Well in my opinion if you are willing to spend money on those types of clothes,which tend to be kinda pricey,then why not wear them where you want? It really shouldn't matter just saying...
I used to be shy about wearing certain things here but then I just figured,hey its my money( well mostly my Dad's sweatdrop ) and my style so why not?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:26 pm
@Shimo Kousetsu: I can tell the difference. :<
I just love all of them and tend to group them together (even scene sometimes, even though it's technically not Harajuku)

And feel free to live vicariously through me. I find it quite flattering ^_^

@ The_Mistress_Of_Music: I think it's cute too! ^__^
I think I can pull it off in cities, especially if I can get some friends to come with me.... I think I feel a road trip coming on. biggrin

@monkeybite: Hawaii does sound nice. surprised
But I have no way of getting there TT___TT

@Chocolate Delicacy: I wish I was as brave as you. I try to mix and match the expensive stuff with cute not-so-expensive stuff. I kinda' lack confidence tho TT____TT  

Lady Cantarella

Tsiklop

Dapper Humorist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:53 am
just coordinate well so you dont look like a claires and a hot topic had sex and you were their mutant offspring. too many accessories and colors in your hair will make you look scene. id say stick to pastels, as those generally all look good together, and evenly distribute your accessories so you dont look cluttered. the first and last pictures are good examples of how to do it, and the middle picture is a really good example of how not to do it if you dont want to look like a sparkledog.  
04. ✿ - - - Fashion And Clothes

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff