Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Help and Advice
What the hell!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

finfageek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:31 am
So I was joking around with my roommate while we were in Walmart. We passed by some KY Jelly (Lololol), and he was like "Did you need some?" So I responded, "Do I get to use it on you?" (I don't remember EXACTLY what I said...but it was along those lines.) He said no, and I jokingly asked why he wouldn't want to, and he said "Because I'm not gay." and somehow, he wound up saying "I choose not to be gay."

WHAT THE F**K!? I knew he was against gay marriage, but seriously? You think I CHOSE to be gay?

We joke around like that all the time. That's the second time he's made an attack on my orientation this year, and I called him out on it the second time, and he just said "I don't want to get into this right now." My thoughts: "b***h, you started it."

Anyway. What should I do? I decided to room with him, knowing that he was against gay marriage, but he was never a malicious person, so I never thought he'd make comments like this.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:18 am
It's not something to get into. People see it how they see it, and he just doesn't understand.  

Destructive-Kiwi

Dapper Gekko

8,500 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Generous 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Mystic Requiem

Eloquent Fairy

13,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:46 am

Wow, that kind of sucks. That's always been a view point, one that many people see as incorrect, but still an opinion. Like Kiwi said, it's something he doesn't understand and probably never will.

At least he isn't calling you pansexual and just prefer men?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:13 pm
You live with this guy. It's getting close to the end of the year. If this is only the second comment he's made all year, you should consider yourself lucky.

I also agree with both above, just let it go. I don't wanna say it's not a big deal, but you really can't do anything. Just be the bigger man and move on.  

Pent and Ten

Moonlight Shapeshifter

The Laziest Czar

6,100 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:46 pm
Even On The Night Of The Apocalypse......

I no understand.
Sorry, but I don't get it..
What are you mad about? o_o
I don't want to sound insensitive, but lol.
Someone has said that to me (on several occasions), and I don't get why it offends people.
sweatdrop
Everybodys an Optimist......

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:47 pm
He's being mature about it by avoiding the conflict. By wanting to prolong that, you're the one being immature. Respect his viewpoint and learn to live with it; attacking him for it is not going to make you look better (quite the opposite in fact) and it will ripple out to others.

He may not like the idea of gay marriage but he isn't being a d**k about it. Be thankful for that.  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

CheizLord

6,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:06 pm
I understand why that's frustrating, because in a way it's insulting for someone to tell you that a part of what makes you who you are is simply a decision as opposed to a fact but unfortunately he'll never understand something he can't relate to. Its best to let it go for now, and if he brings it up again simply tell him that even though he's entitled to his opinion (which is wrong) that you don't want him to bring that up around you.

If I've learned anything about point of views, no matter what they are, when it comes to things like this there is no swaying them. Instead of constantly butting heads and making your house a hostile place to live, its best to bite your tongue on this on (no matter how right you are)  
Help and Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games