Welcome to Gaia! ::

The LGBT Guild

Back to Guilds

This is a guild for all sexual orientation equality supporters to chat and feel welcomed. 

Tags: Homosexual, Bisexual, Transgender, Genderqueer 

Reply Help and Advice
My Boyfriend is Stuck in The Closet

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ca plane pour moi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:46 pm
So, I finally gotten really close with this guy who I've known for a long time, so far it seems to be nothing but a promising relationship aside from the one monkey wrench: He is still in the closet.
I understand it takes time, I was closeted myself before. Recently, I deiced not to give any flying ******** of what anyone thinks, and because he is in the closet he does care what people think.
Holding back like that can only be unhealthy.

Tips?
Advice?
Insults?

I'm willing to listen. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:31 am
Give him time. For some people it takes being in a stable relationship to finally get around to it; don't push him into it. That's a form of compromise and you need to let him do that on his own terms. That said, if you end up dating and years later he still won't come to terms with the fact (not necessarily coming out; more like understanding and knowing that some people will dislike him regardless of what he identifies as and accepting that) then it's probably time to move on.

For some people it's not a big deal to come out about having an orientation other than heterosexuality - for me it was 'Okay, I'm bisexual; now back to your standard goofing around'; I let people know and then went back to my life with no bells or whistles. What is important is that he understands that regardless of what he does or says there will be people who dislike and hate him just because he is there, and coming to terms with that is of great importance in social situations. Being able to be hated for existing and carrying on despite it is what helps us deal with each other as a society.  

Le Scratch
Vice Captain

Icy Humorist

31,825 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100

Pent and Ten

Moonlight Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:07 pm
Not trying to be insulting...

but it can also be unhealthy to be disowned and kicked out of ones house 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:17 pm
Encourage him to come out, I suppose? I mean, there's no reason to rush him, but in the long run, it will benefit him. In the closet boyfriends sound like they can be tough to be with... :/ That's just my opinion, though.  

finfageek

Help and Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff