Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:02 am
2 things
1- the head harness isnt working out with stowrm and i, she hates it so much that she no longer enjoys our walks. she doesnt even get excited to see the leash anymore. any other tips for helping with her pulling problem?

2- i found out one of the breeds my mutt is probably mixed with! carolina dog, also called the american dingo. yup, my dog is part wild dog. ive talked to some breeders and they all said that they saw carolina dog in my stowrm. ivee beenn doing some research on the breed, boy ill be having my hands full  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:47 am
Hmm, you could train her to get used to the head harness by giving her treats when you pull it out, put it on her, and for her keeping it on. Start off by having it on for small periods of time at a time and gradually increase the length of time. Once she keeps it on and doesn't panic, then attach a leash to it and reward her for that. Then eventually try walking her around the house and getting her used to that before you actually walk her using it. With some dogs, it takes some time, as the sensation of having something on their muzzle will feel odd. She'll eventually start to associate it with good things and eventually realize that it isn't that bad.

You could also try the no pull chest harnesses, though I have tried several and haven't had any luck with those. The dog would continue pulling, no matter how hard I tried to train him to stop, even with the harness on. I've had most success with the gentle leader head harnesses.  

CrissAngelLover12345

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:25 am
CrissAngelLover12345
Hmm, you could train her to get used to the head harness by giving her treats when you pull it out, put it on her, and for her keeping it on. Start off by having it on for small periods of time at a time and gradually increase the length of time. Once she keeps it on and doesn't panic, then attach a leash to it and reward her for that. Then eventually try walking her around the house and getting her used to that before you actually walk her using it. With some dogs, it takes some time, as the sensation of having something on their muzzle will feel odd. She'll eventually start to associate it with good things and eventually realize that it isn't that bad.

You could also try the no pull chest harnesses, though I have tried several and haven't had any luck with those. The dog would continue pulling, no matter how hard I tried to train him to stop, even with the harness on. I've had most success with the gentle leader head harnesses.

its been weeks though, even with rewards and having it on her when we are in the house for her to get used to she is still miserabe

ive seen the chest harnesses for sale and ws wondering if they were worth the money. thanks for telling me your luck with them  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:28 am
As far as no pull harnesses go I've had good results with the Freedom Harness. The leash can be attached to the chest and/or the back depending on how your dog pulls.

Also for walks a good way to train out pulling is to come to a complete stand still when they start to pull. You don't go forward again until there is slack in the leash. You can also turn around and go the other direction as well. Both of these methods take a lot of time, but they work wonderfully. Especially if you combine the first method with the clicker and click/treat as soon as they come back towards you.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:30 pm
I used a combo of stopping and standing still for a few seconds when my dogs pull, walking back a step or two, and turning in unpredictable directions so the dog has to watch you more ( this one made people look at me like i had some sort of problem...). Also, rewarding with a treat when the dog is walking where i want it. And i think asking them to sit before letting them sniff a tree or something helped. Also trained a very good sit, ever since deedee had to sit before sniffing something on a walk, her sit has been perfect  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:21 am
thanks for the tips. if its not raining today ill try them out. its been raining all weekend so stowrm hasnt gotten her daily walks in a while, dog is driving me up the wall lol  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items