Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
so, I just got accused of animal abuse by a vet.... Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:51 pm
yep, I admit it, I abuse cats, especially these ones I am house sitting for, I cant help it, they literally beg for it, I mean, when they hear the noise of the spring, hear the click of the button, and they think of the little red dot, they come running. If you are guessing I was accused for animal abuse, for playing with them with a laser pointer, you would be correct.

She then went on to call me stupid, say that its like rape, and torturing, that I should not have anything to do with animals, that I should be reported for animal abuse, and that she would never call me to house sit (fine by me, shes in new york!).

Went to read on, that she graduated from Cornell in NINETY EIGHT no wonder! she needs to get with the times! of course those old laser pointers were dangerous! I have searched and searched, and it says as long as you dont flash it directly in the eyes for long periods of times, its safe, how silly! just a lesson, be careful who you use as a vet, she would most assuredly NOT be getting business from me EVER if I did live near there!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:27 pm

That lady was crazy, I couldn't believe how rude she was and the terrible things she was saying to you.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:29 pm
Vanilla eXee

That lady was crazy, I couldn't believe how rude she was and the terrible things she was saying to you.
lol I know right! I have come to the conclusion shes a crazy cat lady xD literally!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:31 pm
She was out of line.
I would have sent a letter to her Superior with my informational findings and her out-burst.
She had not right to tell you how you play with your cats.
I mean if you were throwing your cats around, not feeding them or causing harm to them then the vet should report you.
(Not like I am saying you do these things!)
However, she must have known she was in the wrong since she did not report you.

Please send the vet's office an angry letter, please?!

d i m i r h e x

7,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:40 pm
d i m i r h e x
She was out of line.
I would have sent a letter to her Superior with my informational findings and her out-burst.
I mean if you were throwing your cats around, not feeding them or causing harm to them then the vet should report you.

lol I totally would, except she is self employed! They aren't my cats, they are our friends cats, that I am baby sitting, but they know that I play with them with the laser pointer. Not only that, but they don't have any toys at all, that's one reason they love it so much I suppose lol.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:10 am
wth?

Looks to me like that vet just lost any future money you would be throwing her way lol  

DeeSpark

Krissim Klaw
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:14 am
Cowgirl-with-heart
I have searched and searched, and it says as long as you dont flash it directly in the eyes for long periods of times, its safe, how silly! just a lesson, be careful who you use as a vet, she would most assuredly NOT be getting business from me EVER if I did live near there!
Actually there is a risk to using laser pointers with some animals. It can cause ocd necrotic behaviors around lights to develop and you can end up with a dog or cat that obsesses over flashes of light such as say some twinkling through your window. Is this going to happen in a stable normal dog or cat, probably not, but if you have an animal with weaker nerves prone to obsessing over things, than a laser pointer is not something you are going to want to use. I just thought I would put that out there since I think it is something people should be aware of.

That being said, I would hardly call using a laser pointer animal abuse. I wounder what she would think of me teasing my praying mantises with the mouse pointer. emotion_awesome  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:41 am
Krissim Klaw
Cowgirl-with-heart
I have searched and searched, and it says as long as you dont flash it directly in the eyes for long periods of times, its safe, how silly! just a lesson, be careful who you use as a vet, she would most assuredly NOT be getting business from me EVER if I did live near there!
Actually there is a risk to using laser pointers with some animals. It can cause ocd necrotic behaviors around lights to develop and you can end up with a dog or cat that obsesses over flashes of light such as say some twinkling through your window. Is this going to happen in a stable normal dog or cat, probably not, but if you have an animal with weaker nerves prone to obsessing over things, than a laser pointer is not something you are going to want to use. I just thought I would put that out there since I think it is something people should be aware of.

That being said, I would hardly call using a laser pointer animal abuse. I wounder what she would think of me teasing my praying mantises with the mouse pointer. emotion_awesome
oh I know about that, but this was purely because of the eyesight deal, it had nothing to do with OCD, she actually told me to try a flash light, which I don't even have, and they aren't terribly OCD I mean, they LOVE it, but they don't wait for like 2 hours for me to play with them, they will come when they hear it out, and they will sometimes beg me to play with them, but only for like 10-20 mins, nothing like staring at one spot for 12 hours (I house sat a dog once that would do that, plus since I don't even live here, and I take it with me, it wouldn't be that big of a deal if they were kind of OCD, and its the only "toy" they have)

lol she would probably think it was abuse for you to even HAVE your mantises, I however deem that pretty funny xD  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:44 am
DeeSpark
wth?

Looks to me like that vet just lost any future money you would be throwing her way lol
lol I know right, I couldn't believe she was comparing me to rapists, and animal torturers, I said if it was abuse, then they literally begged for it (because they will, when I put it away they come and beg for me to keep playing) and she was all so animals who are tortured beg for it, and girls who are raped beg for it, and I was like, you CAN'T seriously be comparing those horrible things to something that makes a couple of cats happy lol  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:55 am
rofl lmao, its like you met one of those annoying people on youtube in real life. epic XD

im sorry, i feel bad that she said those things to you but its funny that a vet of all people is dumb enough to think that. and girls who are raped beg for it? my god i dont know wether to feel sorry for this woman for being so ignorant or feel a need to slap her

now if you will excuse me, i have cats and a dog to abuse with deadly lasers.  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:34 am
I use a laser-pointer as well. I know it's dangerous to point into their eyes with the laser indirectly or directly for a long period. My cats haven't showed any strange behavior since I used it, beside the fact that Suki wants to play with it every minute of the day and she even knows where I 'hide' the laser. She scratches that door when she wants to play. lol

So I suppose I'm an animal abuser as well?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:34 am
I wouldnt be surprised to find choke collars or shock collars in her house. I really wouldnt...

I dont have a laser pointer.... So glad i dont, wouldnt want to abuse my animals or rape somebody  

DeeSpark

imabadspeler

Magnetic Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:19 am
Krissim Klaw
Cowgirl-with-heart

I've seen a couple of dogs like that before. They will just stare at shadows and walls for a lonnnng time. My friends told me they used to play with their dog with a laser pointer. so I always suspected that as a cause.

All the dogs I have ever tried to use the laser pointer on always figured out where it was coming from so they stopped chasing it and just get bored of it.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:57 am
Was this over the internet or in real life? Either way, how unprofessional and immature of that woman. I would hate to think of how she treats her customers who come in looking for guidance only to be accused of rape and torture (wtf). Not to mentioned threatened with being reported for animal abuse for doing something incredibly common and widespread.

Personally, I'm hesitant to use a laser, because I have experience with one of my family's dogs becoming a little bit neurotic over shadows and reflections on the wall. I don't know if she still does it or to what extent, but I dunno if I would play lasers with my future dogs. My cats haven't shown any signs of that behavior, though. Once it's done, it's done, so I feel pretty safe bringing it out occasionally.

But anyways, I think people should be aware of what can happen, but going as far as accusing people of torture and rape (again, wtf on that lady's part) is out of line. Not only is it not even comparable, but insulting people is no way to bring them over to your side. That's just going to make people disregard you and whatever you're saying.

I see it a lot on the internet. Feeding your dog a grocery store food? "OMG, you moron!! Do you WANT your dog to die?!!?!! If you don't know that those foods are bad you don't deserve to have a dog!! Your dog should be taken away and you should never own another one again!" Right, and how is that approach workin' out for ya? Don't have to handle them with kiddie gloves or sugarcoat everything, but downright insulting them will just make them dig their heels in and discourage them from seeking information to make better decisions. Everyone loses. But now I'm just rambling. xd  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

d i m i r h e x

7,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:00 am
Cowgirl-with-heart
d i m i r h e x
She was out of line.

lol I totally would, except she is self employed! They aren't my cats, they are our friends cats, that I am baby sitting, but they know that I play with them with the laser pointer. Not only that, but they don't have any toys at all, that's one reason they love it so much I suppose lol.

Dang it!
Well the best you can do is slander her name so no one that you know of will ever go to her.
LOL.

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces