Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
Need 10 Responses!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Poll
  Dance.
View Results

[X]Harajuku[X]

450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:18 pm
Hey Guys! Been awhile since I've been on here but now I need your help! I'm doing a questionare and I just need 10 responses.It's as simple as yes/no or feel free to explain your answer! The question is : Do you think cigarette smoking is on the rise in young adults?
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:26 pm
Errrr.... no? But then I seem to live in a city that breeds 85% eco-fanatical health freaks & hippies and rarely see anybody actually smoke cigarettes in this town o_o It's like everybody keeps it to themselves around here >.> <.< >.>'  

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

wo_nyrmo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:45 pm
I'd say no. There are a lot of people who smoke and they have been smoking for quite some time. Majority of people who smoke started before they reached adult status (meaning before they hit 18 when your legal)... so I'd say it isn't really on the rise it is more just the average level with possible some incline do to population growth.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:07 am
No, I think less are smoking these days. It's more and more socially unacceptable.  

scrub
Crew

Sebastian Kierrn

Enduring Sex Symbol

8,350 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:13 am
I'd have to say yes, but that's because I live on a college campus and can't go anywhere without seeing someone smoking.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:56 am
Studies are showing that smoking is on the decline among yough people, so no. ^_^  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Katarica

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:27 pm
Not really. Most of the people I've seen smoking are my age or older.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:35 pm
I'm not sure but I would have to say yes. Peer pressure is the same as it was years ago if not greater.  

Kosai Avonej

Elder

Fuji_hobo_jacket

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:32 pm
I would have to say yes, but for the same reason as Sebastian. I live on a college campus and there are several students here who are like, "Hey! No parents! I can do what I want!! *smokesmokesmokesmokesmoke*" And so I actually see a very diverse group of the local population smoke at least once during the school year, but whether or not they continue after that first initial try or maybe a couple after is a different matter.

In general, I wouldn't be surprised if it's on the decline. Things like the truth.org commercials have been very powerful to current 20-somethings who started seeing them as they grew up.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:02 pm
I'd have to say yes. More and more I see young people smoking. I also know that they are aware of the danger of smoking yet as soon as they get to college or to some place where they get away from the parents they go crazy and do all the things they aren't suposed to do.  

Drunken Echoes

Mosher117

Generous Receiver

7,200 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:14 pm
Where I live every bloody kid I see smokes. I even saw a group of kids ask people outside a shop to buy them fags and booze. emotion_donotwant  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:17 pm
you have ten already, but i'm gonna answer anyways.

by my understanding, a young adult is anyone between the ages of 12-15 and 25, so i'd have to say a circumstantial yes. for example – i have friends who always talk about how disgusting smoking is, but then there they are parties or clubs, puffing away. so, if the people who said they would never smoke are doing so – then in my opinion, that makes it a yes.

diffun

ieatwood

Distinct Rogue

8,500 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:25 am
more and more people i know try to quit, its just too damn expensive..  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:55 am
No.Smoking sort of goes against a few key topics people are worried about nowadays.
People are worried about how healthy they're living, and smoking doesn't help with that.
I'm gonna guess that smoking may contribute to global warming or something about the environment...
Smoking is expensive, and the economy's down, so it's economically irresponsible for a person to smoke.  

Gresley Toombs

Super Survivor

Violette PureHeart

Liberal Smoker

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:01 pm
ieatwood
more and more people i know try to quit, its just too damn expensive..
Ditto. Myself included. @.@  
The Suites

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff