Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
My boyfriends gecko was caught by the cat

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:33 pm
My boyfriend owns three leopard gecko's. He has a big terrarium for them, and every other day he feeds them. And the cats always get excited when he does. They always tried to go closer, but my boyfriend always pushed them out of the way.

But when one of the female gecko's moved her tail like crazy as they always do when they're about to catch their pray Hiro lunged forward, took the gecko in his mouth and ran away. eek

He dropped the gecko pretty quick, and strangely enough he isn't hurt at all. He still walks normally, no scratches, no blood, nothing. Which is a good thing of course. I had to lock Hiro away to catch the Gecko and put him back in the terrarium.

So, Did something like this ever happened between your pets? . _ .  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:02 pm
I would probably use a squirt bottle on the cats from now on o.o one time, when I was little, I had a pet rat, named Thumbelina, my brother snuck upstairs, and took her out of her cage while I was asleep (he was like 5-6) and he brought her down stairs. We had a pit mix, who always wanted to get a hold of her (being a pit mix, he was high prey drive) My brother played with her a little, and then decided he wanted an apple, so he left her in his sleeping bag (he slept on the floor in a sleeping bag, cause he was afraid to sleep in his own room) and went outside to get one from the outside fridge. Luckly my mom was asleep on the couch, because the dog found her while he was gone, she managed to bite him, and mom heard a loud squeak and a yelp, and that woke her up, he had her backed into a corner, she was in shock for a day, but she lived, oh man I almost killed my brother for that one, he wasn't sposed to touch her!  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:28 pm
Cowboy tries to "catch" the rats when they start to run. I think his herding instinct kicks in and I don't trust him to be gentle when he gets that excited. He gets the same way with frogs, he's never killed one, but he could easily injure them doing that. He did try to air bite Blaze which scared the crap outa me. I mean he does it often with the cage closed, seeing him do it without anything in between for a split second I thought he mighta bit her but she was fine, she was less freaked than me lol. And Aida just lloovveesss Cowboy. Whenever the door is open she leans waayyy out and sniffs him. But all that said I usually have a hand on Cowboy's collar or the rat in my hands.

Once the rats were out with the cat in the room, cat was sleeping but he woke up to a rat running by and he looked like he was thinking about pouncing so I lunged and landed with my arms around him lol.

It's hard, they're soo fragile.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:31 pm
My cat smacked one of my rats once, but more because he was afraid that she ran up to him than because he wanted to eat her or anything. She got revenge by biting his ear once when he stuck his face right up the cage and the tip of his ear was poking through the bars.  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:02 pm
Celestial Fireflies
My cat smacked one of my rats once, but more because he was afraid that she ran up to him than because he wanted to eat her or anything. She got revenge by biting his ear once when he stuck his face right up the cage and the tip of his ear was poking through the bars.
lol Malina was smacked numerous times, she always wanted to play with her cousin, but her cousin didn't like her, even after we got her two little sisters, she preferred the cats LOL she was play bit a few times from Chance too, but he wasn't allowed to play with her when he had the zoomies lol  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:55 pm

Not generally the best idea to house leos together.

Sometimes when I have the chickens out, Blue gets let out and he chases them around trying to play with them, I have to try and catch him and lock him in the courtyard, there's no way I can catch them when he gets them all riled up and I worry that he'll grab hold of one of 'em and snap their necks.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Skeksis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:12 pm
Nothing in recent history, however when I was 11 I had a few cages of mice and a rat. The mousecages were on a bookcase and one day when cleaning the rat cage I sat the rat on another shelf of the bookcase. When I returned I found that the rat had climbed onto the next shelf up, had opened the mouse cage and had slaughtered the mice in that cage. It was pretty ghastly.

Lesson learned.

On another note, my dog came to me with something in her mouth and kept nudging my hand. I opened my hand and she deposited her gift; a very soggy, very alive field mouse. Thanks.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:00 pm
Vanilla eXee

Not generally the best idea to house leos together.

Sometimes when I have the chickens out, Blue gets let out and he chases them around trying to play with them, I have to try and catch him and lock him in the courtyard, there's no way I can catch them when he gets them all riled up and I worry that he'll grab hold of one of 'em and snap their necks.

I know, I know. He wanted them in the living room, instead of in the other room which door is like, always closed.

Skeksis

That's nasty. :c

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

I was expecting Gecko's to be fragile as well. But he was dropped on the floor, taken in the mouth and no scratch at all. We are keeping an eye out to him tho. You never know.

And that remembers me what my dad once did with their dog. We leave close to farms, so there are always mice. One day there was a mice walking on the road, my dad picked it up, and showed it the dog, showing her the mice. But my father didn't expected the dog to bite it. It was dead... talk2hand

Cowgirl-with-heart

I tried, and maybe I give up too fast, but Suki kept coming back and Hiro doesn't care about the water. lol

I hate it when people touch my stuff without asking. mad
He never did it again?  

pompoennetje

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:48 pm
@Skek, that's very nasty and sad but...I can't help but see a tiny bit of humor in that. Like, the way you describe it I'm imagining a ratty, all innocent looking, and you leave and the rat Mission Impossible style scales the bookcase, unlocks the mouse cage, propels in, assinates the mice which are clearly the enemy cause they look so cute but take precious attention time and food from you. And then you find lil ninja rat all inocent and cute looking among the carnage.

Like, if it happened to me I'd be devastated but reading about it I almost laughed sweatdrop

And daawww, your dog is like a cat lol, here, have a present.

OMG, I almost forgot and it happened again. Cowboy and Aida like to play fight through the cage door. Cowboy will poke the cage with his nose and air bit and Aida will punch his nose repeatedly with these footsie looking rapid lil jabs. Only once he poked the cage as her tiny lil finger slipped through and squished her lil finger sad and Blaze has started to do the same and he just squished her lil finger too. sad They don't learn though, they still love playing with their dog.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:48 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
@Skek, that's very nasty and sad but...I can't help but see a tiny bit of humor in that. Like, the way you describe it I'm imagining a ratty, all innocent looking, and you leave and the rat Mission Impossible style scales the bookcase, unlocks the mouse cage, propels in, assinates the mice which are clearly the enemy cause they look so cute but take precious attention time and food from you. And then you find lil ninja rat all inocent and cute looking among the carnage.

Like, if it happened to me I'd be devastated but reading about it I almost laughed sweatdrop

OMG, I almost forgot and it happened again. Cowboy and Aida like to play fight through the cage door. Cowboy will poke the cage with his nose and air bit and Aida will punch his nose repeatedly with these footsie looking rapid lil jabs. Only once he poked the cage as her tiny lil finger slipped through and squished her lil finger sad and Blaze has started to do the same and he just squished her lil finger too. sad They don't learn though, they still love playing with their dog.

Haha, she didn't look particularly innocent; hard to look innocent when you're covered in blood and in the middle of disemboweling a mouse. >.< I was like...totally traumatized, lol. I think the old cow had killed about 6 of them before I got back. She was lucky that I loved her more than anything and that I was able to recognise that it was my fault.>.<

Lol, I know the punching behaviour you are talking about, way too cute. whee  

Skeksis

Miles To Go

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:25 pm
My mom thinks it's "cute" to let one of our cats play with my teddy bear hamster. burning_eyes LUCKILY the cat restrained itself, since this was in my mom's lap. But I got so upset that she even tried that, it could've turned out very different...  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:09 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

matilda and stowrm play the same game. she used to play it with fluffers but then he left her to go watch the cresties and she was so bored. i think she is really happy i got stowrm lol  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items