Working in a clinic Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:48 pm
Today was my first full day actually working in the clinic. It was...well...I can't really describe it. Like, amazing, and, stressful, and sad and hectic and...educational and...just, WOW.

Let me tell you about my patients.

There's Ziggy, who is, one of, the CUTEST pit bulls (her chart says staffbull but, I'm sure it's cause she's a foster and they want to adopt her out without too much trouble) She is one of those incredibly compact bullies though. Like, barely any bigger than a cocker, but all muscle and big blocky head. Gorgeous brindle and just the sweetest thing on earth. She had an ACL injury so I get to walk her and she pulls like MAD and she's suppose to be resting.

Then there's Cleopatra, who is a BENGAL. k, incase I haven't mentioned it enough, Bengals are my FAVORITE breed and I wanted a girl and I was going to name her cleo. So, I feel like, this cat needs to be mine. She has the distinctive bengal talk, and she was playing in her water dish.

Then there's cookie, a black and white sweet lil cat, who is not eating. Now cookie has a soft spot in my heart because the hardest thing I had to do today, was go into the consultation room after his owners visited him, and take him from them cause they decided to keep him hospitalized. I mean, I was just told to go get him and I walk in and the owners are in tears asking me if they're doing the right thing and I have to take their cat and walk out that room with him. I tried to hand feed him and he ate some a/d.

Puppy 1 remains nameless and has parvo. He stays in a lil cage in isolation along with a kennel cough puppy and some flea infested kittens. The two pups don't get walked on account of being extremely contagious. I feel so bad for them. If puppy #2 had a foster he wouldn't need to stay with us and therefore wouldn't need to stay isolated.

We had a basset come in that was so disgustingly morbidly obese. It literally couldn't walk. The same goes for a Golden that came in today. He basically colapsed before he made it to his cage. And he wasn't even sick. He came for a declaw removal!

We have 9 cats for adoption. 2 puppies. One is a basset "Peaches" who's ears drag on the floor, the other is a lab puppy "Bessie" with a cast who is on strict cage rest and just has so much pent up energy.

There's quite a few more, but those are the memorable ones for me.
I did a lot of restraining for blood draws, cystos etc. weighed, fed, cleaned. I got to thoroughly examine poop for foreign bodies. Not sure what I found but it was long and fibrous but ripped apart easily. Showed the vet.

It's definitely different from the store, where I sit around all day and get a few customers a day. I was constantly moving and by the time I sat down to eat, I had pretty much lost my appetite.

My grandmother, uncle and half brother came for dinner tonight. My grandmother could tell I'd lost weight. She thought I had a new boyfriend lol. I assured her I was so busy at school that I've been surviving off granola bars. She then gave me my bday gift which was 500 dollars. eek Now I feel bad cause I think she might have mistook the letter I sent her as a plea for money. I just wrote her cause she always accuses me of neglecting her and I wrote what was on my mind, which was, a bit of frustration at the fact that I worked 6 days a week but had no money.

Anyways, this will wipeout my debt. And with two jobs I have more than enough to pay my bills. Not enough to move out yet lol. Since I'm still only doing 20hrs in total a week what with school 4 days a week. But I will be out of debt at my next pay and then will stay out and be able to start saving a bit too. The funny part is, when she left, she looked me in the eye with a straight face and told me not to spend it on my dog gonk and then she thought about it, and told me to just not tell her about it. blaugh

Well...like I said, it's paying off my visa, so, that can be whatever she wants it to be lol. That can be my car which is my transportation. Or it can be a good portion of my florida trip for the NAVC which I'm totally stoked for.

Edit: In case you've never had the pleasure of hearing a bengal "chat"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEEMMn80XJw&feature=related  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:23 pm

;-; Take me to work with you Gabs.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:36 am
Vanilla eXee

;-; Take me to work with you Gabs.

This!

And Bengals are gorgeous. heart  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:38 am
Aaawwwhhh! If I lived in your area (and I had my own place/money), I would so adopt Peaches. I was researching basset hounds extensively awhile back. But I'd probably wait until I had a place on several acres of land, 'cause I'd want to sing with it, and I don't think the neighbors would appreciate that so much. lol  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:42 pm
The Bengal has been adopted. This is good news but I'm kind of sad. She's been there for max 3 days so, next time I go to work she'll probably be gone. And I had my ex, the army one that I don't see or talk to anymore, and he wanted to adopted her, I mean, I wouldn't have seen her much either way.

Also my friend is interested in adopting peaches. They want a smallish dog not too hyper, good for an apartment. This hound is actually extremely quiet, she never barks or whines or howls. She just sleeps all day. She's very sweet.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:46 pm
I think Bengals are beautiful too, but I'm against hybrid cats. This page sums it up pretty nicely: http://bigcatrescue.org/2011/hybrid-facts/

But if you're rescuing, more power to ya! smile So many unwanted bengals, especially after people realize what problems they sometimes end up with. My co-worker is quickly realizing this with the bengal cat she just bought from a breeder. I'm assuming she didn't do her homework, because I asked her what generation her bengal was and she just stared at me like a deer in headlights. Now that's she having problems with him having diarrhea and vomiting, I mentioned that I read that bengals are prone to IBS, and she didn't even know what IBS was...

Anywho. Pitbulls are awesome! All of the pits we get at the kennel are SO sweet! They could care less about the other dogs, even when one of the big rescue dobermans is constantly running back and forth across the fence in the neighboring yard barking at them.

I also want your job! So jealous. Can't wait to hear more! smile  

Ailinea

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:54 pm
Ailinea
I think Bengals are beautiful too, but I'm against hybrid cats. This page sums it up pretty nicely: http://bigcatrescue.org/2011/hybrid-facts/

But if you're rescuing, more power to ya! smile So many unwanted bengals, especially after people realize what problems they sometimes end up with. My co-worker is quickly realizing this with the bengal cat she just bought from a breeder. I'm assuming she didn't do her homework, because I asked her what generation her bengal was and she just stared at me like a deer in headlights. Now that's she having problems with him having diarrhea and vomiting, I mentioned that I read that bengals are prone to IBS, and she didn't even know what IBS was...

Anywho. Pitbulls are awesome! All of the pits we get at the kennel are SO sweet! They could care less about the other dogs, even when one of the big rescue dobermans is constantly running back and forth across the fence in the neighboring yard barking at them.

I totally agree that people who do not do their research get hybrids, and I am VERY against that. But, with all due respect to YOU I do not agree with Carole Baskin at BCR. But that's just my opinion. I love Bengals. Though my favorites are still Savannahs.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:06 am
Kipluck
Ailinea

I totally agree that people who do not do their research get hybrids, and I am VERY against that. But, with all due respect to YOU I do not agree with Carole Baskin at BCR. But that's just my opinion. I love Bengals. Though my favorites are still Savannahs.
To each his/her own. I'd like to get into more of a discussion with you on the issue, but that's another topic entirely. Some day! biggrin  

Ailinea

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:44 am
I just wana say that 1. I do raw anyway, so the IBS, well DSH can certainly have it too and a raw or species appropriate diet is usually the cure for that. Bengals are immune to FLV and have a much longer lifespan on account of the wild ancestory who has natural selection in his/her history.

That being said, yes, I do want to adopt preferably. I have checked out quite a few breeders and only ONE of the many seems to really care for the breed and not just be in it for the hobby/money. So it's still an option because, to be honest, I check petfinder pretty regularly and I've never seen a bengal for adoption, it seems like people actually do their research, or maybe cause they pay so much they don't want to just give it away so must be selling them.

I kind of agree with you about breeding wild animals, however, I also see pro's to it. The article makes it seem like people want a wild animal and there is no pro's involved at all. However, Bengals like I say, are a pretty healthy breed. They are being studied for their immunity to FLV and who knows, maybe we can find a cure or preventative of some sort. I'd prefer a hybrid to any other "purebred" because selectively bred cats have a lot more than ibs to worry about. Persians, siamese, folds etc etc. All bred to look a certain way without much thought to the health of that animal. You mentioned wasteful breeding. In order to determin if a dog carries a certain genetic defect, they would breed that dog to determine what percentage of the pups had the disease. The "defective" pups, sold at a normal price or given away or, well really no one WANTS a dog with displasia etc so probably just euthanized, and the dogs who are deemed free of the disease can be sold as breeders.

So it's a fine line. You could easily cross into Peta's having pets is cruel because of the bad breeders out there. When there are breeders trying to better the breed and make healthy animals.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:54 am
Kipluck
Ailinea

thanks for sharing that site. ive nevre been a big bcr fan thanks to their better than you attitude and their lack of good information on hybrids  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:44 pm
Shanna66
Kipluck
Ailinea

thanks for sharing that site. ive nevre been a big bcr fan thanks to their better than you attitude and their lack of good information on hybrids
Yeah. BCR has a really shady history, back from when they were Easy Street. They were very hypocritical and now claim they have rescued many of the animals that they USED to admit they BOUGHT as pets originally. I have no problem with someone buying an exotic pet if they are qualified to care for it and know what they are doing, yes, even a big cat. BUT I DO have a problem with people who get one as a pet then later lie about it and say it is a rescue. NOT COOL. There's that, there is their attitude about hybrids, and there is this thing that happened with a cougar that a friend of mine knows that went there. SHADY stuff. I don't trust Carol Baskin.

On the other hand, the people in REXANO DO THEIR HOMEWORK. Are some of them breeders? Yes. And they don't pretend they are not. They don't lie about what they are. And they verify their sources. And they KNOW some bad stuff about BCR and some other "scamtuaries" that spoil the good name of TRUE sanctuaries who REALLY help animals.

OKAY, OFF my soapbox now. redface  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:21 am
Kipluck
Shanna66
Kipluck
Ailinea

Yeah. BCR has a really shady history, back from when they were Easy Street. They were very hypocritical and now claim they have rescued many of the animals that they USED to admit they BOUGHT as pets originally. I have no problem with someone buying an exotic pet if they are qualified to care for it and know what they are doing, yes, even a big cat. BUT I DO have a problem with people who get one as a pet then later lie about it and say it is a rescue. NOT COOL. There's that, there is their attitude about hybrids, and there is this thing that happened with a cougar that a friend of mine knows that went there. SHADY stuff. I don't trust Carol Baskin.

On the other hand, the people in REXANO DO THEIR HOMEWORK. Are some of them breeders? Yes. And they don't pretend they are not. They don't lie about what they are. And they verify their sources. And they KNOW some bad stuff about BCR and some other "scamtuaries" that spoil the good name of TRUE sanctuaries who REALLY help animals.

i keep typing up a response but it always ends up being me rambling about something. so ill just say im happy when people are honest about what they do  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Ailinea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:12 pm
Kipluck

I'd like to say more power to you, but a lot of this seems like the drivel and propaganda spouted by Joe Exotic and his cronies, who , for the record, I was against before I even heard of BCR. From what I understand, BCR openly admits on their website and in tours their history about buying exotic pets in the past. Also, can you elaborate on the cougar incident? I'd like to hear more about it, I'm a more open-minded than I may seem lol.

A lot of the stuff I've read against BCR usually comes from outdated sources (like the wildlife on easy street breeding guide) or no sources at all. I'm not a fan of Rexano either mostly because I'm against their philosophy on breeding and exotic pet ownership. I also think it's hilarious that bunny groups went after BCR but pretty much ignore that Zuzana Kukol feeds her cats whole rabbits sometimes. Not live, mind you, but some of these bunny activists would have you believe that ANY domestic rabbit used for feeding, dead or alive, is wrong.

Good God. I apologize, Gabrielle, for totally de-railing your topic. Would you like me to just knock it off or move it to another thread? Sorry. ._.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:52 pm
No, I don't mind off-topicness. You should see some of my other threads LOL.

Okay, update.

First, I never shared Parvo and Kennel Cough pup. Sadly they didn't/don't have names, though I just found them on the rosie site.

Cleopatra was still there, she's being treated for coccidia. I was so happy to see her, and yet sad cause, I am SSOOO in love with this cat. Everyone else is tired of her, she is EXTREMELY vocal. She screams pretty much non stop, but it's a unique, bengal talk, and it just brightens up my day to be talked to by my dream cat.

Ziggy is actually NOT for adoption, that adorable lil pit bull is owned by someone and going home tonight. Everyone will miss him cause he is ridiculously cute and sweet.

Wally came in to get neutered, this is a horrible picture of what is the cutest poodle I have ever seen. In fact, one of the vets had him in her arms all morning cause she couldn't get over how cute he was.

Peanut also got neutered, he would not shut up...

Maya got spayed

Sura, was in today, but left for a specialized clinic to do her operation

Gosh, looking at the list of Rosie dogs, we have all of them but 4! I sure hope they get a special rate.

So basically today I just prepped dogs for surgery and helped them wake up. We had a really old...lab mix type dog, that had a mass removed (shaving that was naasstttyyy) a cocker that got spayed, when she woke up she was hypothermic and I had to warm her up for a good 30mins. There was a lab puppy, "Cooper" who, was very cute, but the most annoying dog EVER. He had the high pitched bark of a tiny dog with the power of those big lungs...it was unbearable. Getting him in his cage was a good 10min struggle, with some choice swear words. And then I was so covered in drool I had to go change.

I think Peaches may have been adopted.

I felt a little useless today. I did a lot of standing around, asking what I could do to help. I hope I get the hang of this soon.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Ailinea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:09 pm
OMG! Lab puppies are ridiculous! Especially the yellow labs... after dealing with several at the kennel, with NONE of them well-behaved in the least, I officially swear off puppies, especially lab puppies lol.

Sura is cute!! But then again, I have a soft spot for corgis for some reason blaugh  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff