Reply Things that Go Bump in the Night [[Paranormal Discussion]]
My lights do weird things

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FluffyKittyofDOOM_19

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:01 pm
So when I was in middle school, I was home alone in the evening for a little bit, because my mom went to tai kwon do and my dad was picking up my brother from drum lessons, and I was watching tv when I heard a huge thud/crash/bang from the kitchen. It freaked me out so much all I did for the next minute or so was clutch that blanket I had, I almost hid under it. Then when I finally got the courage to investigate, I found that our kitchen light, that was mounted to the ceiling, was on the floor. I stood there for a second, totally confused, then just turned around and sat on the couch. I didn't move until my dad came back home, I was so freaked out. The first thing I said when he walked in was "the kitchen light fell," he looked at me weirdly and walked into the kitchen and was like "how the hell did that happen?" My mom said we had a poltergiest.

And sometimes the lights in my house flicker or dim slightly then go back to normal. It seems to happen more around me then anyone else, and my boyfriend has even commented that my lights do weird things. My moms boyfriend, who is an electrician, always has explanations for it, but me and my mom think it is a ghost.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:23 am
How old is your home exactly?
Sometimes things like that can happen just because the house has aged. I remember every day I would fear the ceiling fan in my room at my old home would fall on me because the whole thing pretty much swung around like it shouldn't. It was becoming loose because of wear and tear.

How was the light taken down from the ceiling? Did the glass just shatter? Did the light bulb come down with it? We're the nails that were used to mount it on the floor as well?

I believe in ghosts, and I honestly do believe there were spirits in my last home because of eyrie things that had gone on, so it's not like I'm completely throwing out the paranormal factor in your home. I'd just like to point out that things like that CAN happen and they CAN have explanations.

If you honestly do feel that there is something there and you're scared of it, it's best to stand your ground. I'm not saying go all hell loose on it, but try to ignore it. If it comes to the point where you really don't feel comfortable in the home when you are alone, then don't be. As long as things only happen when you're alone, if you aren't, then chances are they wont happen or they at least wont be as bad.

Spirits usually like to corner people when they're alone. It's not always because they want to scare or hurt them though. Sometimes they just like to be known that they're there. Like most people, they hate being ignored as well. So I believe it's best to at least acknowledge that it's there, but you don't have to be friends with it or anything like that. Just don't try to anger it, or be alone if you really don't want it messing with you.

Yokies

King Bear

64,350 Points
  • The Bears Are In 500
  • I Won the Titles the Titles are Mine! 500
  • Couple of Time 500

Luneth Moon

Timid Fox

12,400 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:08 am
That's kinda scary.
About as scary as when my TV turned on by itself and went to blue screen for a split second.
My cousin can vouch because he was there, we turned it on and it was on a static channel, no possible chance for a blue screen.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:22 am
Yokies
How old is your home exactly?
Sometimes things like that can happen just because the house has aged. I remember every day I would fear the ceiling fan in my room at my old home would fall on me because the whole thing pretty much swung around like it shouldn't. It was becoming loose because of wear and tear.

How was the light taken down from the ceiling? Did the glass just shatter? Did the light bulb come down with it? We're the nails that were used to mount it on the floor as well?

I believe in ghosts, and I honestly do believe there were spirits in my last home because of eyrie things that had gone on, so it's not like I'm completely throwing out the paranormal factor in your home. I'd just like to point out that things like that CAN happen and they CAN have explanations.

If you honestly do feel that there is something there and you're scared of it, it's best to stand your ground. I'm not saying go all hell loose on it, but try to ignore it. If it comes to the point where you really don't feel comfortable in the home when you are alone, then don't be. As long as things only happen when you're alone, if you aren't, then chances are they wont happen or they at least wont be as bad.

Spirits usually like to corner people when they're alone. It's not always because they want to scare or hurt them though. Sometimes they just like to be known that they're there. Like most people, they hate being ignored as well. So I believe it's best to at least acknowledge that it's there, but you don't have to be friends with it or anything like that. Just don't try to anger it, or be alone if you really don't want it messing with you.

Im not sure how old the house is. Ive been in it my whole life (im almost 20 now) and it wasn't exactly new when we got it. The light didn't have a fan so it wouldn't have a reason to move around and wiggle off the ceiling. and the whole light, even the wooden mount that holds the lights and light covers fell. Im not sure if the nails fell too, there was a lot of stuff all over the floor. It could have just been an earthquake that wiggled it loose and it eventually fell or the wooden base was heavy so the nails or whatever just got worn out and it fell.

I understand that there are explanations for it, I just think it is an interesting story. it scared me at the time but now I just think its funny. We might not have a ghost in the house but whenever weird things happen me and my mom like to say its our ghost. Its not a mean ghost and it doesn't scare me, it just like to play tricks and be noticed occasionally.  

FluffyKittyofDOOM_19

FluffyKittyofDOOM_19

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:24 am
Kiba-the-wolf009
That's kinda scary.
About as scary as when my TV turned on by itself and went to blue screen for a split second.
My cousin can vouch because he was there, we turned it on and it was on a static channel, no possible chance for a blue screen.

Yeah, that would freak me out. I wouldn't want to be alone in the house again if that happened.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:31 pm
FluffyKittyofDOOM_19

It sounds pretty aged to me. It may not be as old others but it sounds old enough to start having some problems. It could have been that Earthquake, or the wood rotting. If the wood rots the nails wouldn't be able to keep the light in since it isn't stable enough for it. Though I can get that it's still pretty scary to have to hear that and not know why at first.

Yea it is pretty interesting. As long as you're not scared I'm sure you'll be fine. Has anything else like that happened since then? I mean to that extent anyway? Lights flickering isn't all that bad compared to a whole light falling. xD

Yokies

King Bear

64,350 Points
  • The Bears Are In 500
  • Couple of Time 500

Gresley Toombs
Crew

Super Survivor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:46 pm
Yokies

Sometimes things like that can happen just because the house has aged.

Totally.
My house was built in the late '50s, and the lights tend to flicker.
Like, when my fridge kicks in to cool itself down or when I use the microwave, the lights dim slightly. They go back to normal after whatever's being used is done.
And the light on my ceiling fan would've fallen if I hadn't checked it. Turned out it's screws were loose.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:50 pm
reading topic's like these always remind me of all the things in my house that you could blame some kind of spirit. but are definitly not.

anyways, yeah if your house is old the fastenings could've been weak or damaged and the light's flickering or dimming could be from old or even damaged wired. that's the first thing my dad and i did when we moved into out 80yr old house. changed all the electrical.  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:52 pm
Yokies
FluffyKittyofDOOM_19

It sounds pretty aged to me. It may not be as old others but it sounds old enough to start having some problems. It could have been that Earthquake, or the wood rotting. If the wood rots the nails wouldn't be able to keep the light in since it isn't stable enough for it. Though I can get that it's still pretty scary to have to hear that and not know why at first.

Yea it is pretty interesting. As long as you're not scared I'm sure you'll be fine. Has anything else like that happened since then? I mean to that extent anyway? Lights flickering isn't all that bad compared to a whole light falling. xD

lol that is sooo true xd  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:50 pm
Gresley Toombs

My house was built in the late '50s, and the lights tend to flicker.
Like, when my fridge kicks in to cool itself down or when I use the microwave, the lights dim slightly. They go back to normal after whatever's being used is done.

Yea my house was built in the '60s so the lights flickered for everything that came on. The washer, the hairdryer, even the air conditioner. I got so used to it that I barely noticed it at all. xD

Yokies

King Bear

64,350 Points
  • The Bears Are In 500
  • Couple of Time 500

DarkSnowDance

Shy Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:55 pm
Wow, my friend has something linked to her window. It plays with the street light out back, always making it change color and brightness.
I have problems with the computers and lights(mostly the bathroom light). Sometimes, no matter how many times I try, they won't turn on, but when I get one of my parents, it works for them. Also, this next thing only happens when my parents aren't home. The xbox, tv, or computer will randomly shut off. Sometimes they turn back on, but not always. My friend always hears and feels stuff when she's sleeping, which wakes her up. When she wakes up, she sees shadows dart across the room. I know we've got a variety of other entities in here, and don't care as long as they stick to my policy. If anything seriously happens, and actions need to be taken, they'll be taken. Until then, anything is welcome as long as they take fighting or arguments outside, don't bother me, and don't hurt anyone. Besides, I enjoy talking to them. They've always been better friends to me than humans thoughI think gaia might change that.  
Things that Go Bump in the Night [[Paranormal Discussion]]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games