Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
I would like to introduce Crimson, my new betta. (pics)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:59 pm
It's been about three years since Akemi died... so I guess it was just time for me to get a new betta.

He's currently in a 1 gallon fishbowl that I had used for Akemi until I got the 5 gallon tank... But the 5 gallon is currently in use by Stick (my mantis). And the lightbulb on it is blown, so need to replace that... He'll be moved sooner or later. But hey, I've had him for 2 days and there's already a bubble nest, I guess he's feeling pretty happy.

So... yeah, he's mostly red, with these almost glowing blue bits. I think he's super pretty. I hope we become friends soon~ He's slowly warming up to me.
Sometimes, I think my impulse buying works out. smile (yes, he totally was an impulse)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

(the striped background is supposed to be orange and purple, but the camera refuses to capture those colors properly for some reason)  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:04 pm
What a cutie! The bowl will be fine with 50% water changes every other day.

He reminds me of my first *serious* betta, a crowntail named Cornelious. Only he had red all over his face, and green high lights rather than blue.  

Akari_32

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:16 pm
I'm not too sure I can handle that much water change right now.. Hoping to get a new gallon thingy soon to keep my premade water in. I was planning on doing a full water change about once a week or so. If I got a new gallon container, then I'd have it premade way beforehand, so no temperature shocks at all..

Might just move Stick out of the 5 gallon and into the bug container. It's definitely big enough for him... But I still need a new light? Or do you think Crimson would be fine without a light for a while? The filter died a while ago, so we got a new (and better!) filter for it, so I plan on using the filter for the 5 gallon.

But I'd need to set up the tank for a while before I move him, wouldn't I? I completely cleaned it out for Stick. I still have the gravel from it sitting aside though, would that be good enough? I'm planning on rinsing it well before I return it to the tank... Or should I just get new gravel? @_@ Oh, this is where I hate having to deal with my impulses, lol.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:52 pm
kage no neko
I'm not too sure I can handle that much water change right now.. Hoping to get a new gallon thingy soon to keep my premade water in. I was planning on doing a full water change about once a week or so. If I got a new gallon container, then I'd have it premade way beforehand, so no temperature shocks at all..

Might just move Stick out of the 5 gallon and into the bug container. It's definitely big enough for him... But I still need a new light? Or do you think Crimson would be fine without a light for a while? The filter died a while ago, so we got a new (and better!) filter for it, so I plan on using the filter for the 5 gallon.

But I'd need to set up the tank for a while before I move him, wouldn't I? I completely cleaned it out for Stick. I still have the gravel from it sitting aside though, would that be good enough? I'm planning on rinsing it well before I return it to the tank... Or should I just get new gravel? @_@ Oh, this is where I hate having to deal with my impulses, lol.

Once a week is pushing it, IMO, but I suppose it could work. If you were to move him into the 5 gallon with out cycling it, you would need to do water changes every day for about 2-3 weeks.

Or buy some Tetra SafeStart, put it in the tank, and put him in, then dont do a water change for like 10 days, I think (just follow the directions on the bottle). There is no substitute for Tetra SafeStart. Its the only cycling product that works.

You can use the old gravel, just rinse it in hot water, like you would new gravel smile  

Akari_32

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:58 pm
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

Did you steal my Poseidon? He looks exactly like that, right down to the glowing blue tip at the end of his bottom fin. surprised

My betta seemed to be fine when I wasn't turning the light on and off every day. I had him out in the living room against the wall, and my boyfriend's mom slept on the living room floor right where I need to walk to switch it. Finally, I just left it off all the time because trying to get back there was a huge hassle with her laying there all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:03 pm
Akari_32
Once a week is pushing it, IMO, but I suppose it could work. If you were to move him into the 5 gallon with out cycling it, you would need to do water changes every day for about 2-3 weeks.

Or buy some Tetra SafeStart, put it in the tank, and put him in, then dont do a water change for like 10 days, I think (just follow the directions on the bottle). There is no substitute for Tetra SafeStart. Its the only cycling product that works.

You can use the old gravel, just rinse it in hot water, like you would new gravel smile
Okay. biggrin It won't be any problem buying the safestart stuff. So I guess this weekend I'll be busy with the tanks.

The bowl/aquarium are in my office with me, and I'm in here every day at some point. I open my blinds to let the light in, and turn on my light when it gets dark.. so it'll have some sort of light regulation, just not his own personal light.

...actually since I get paid on Friday (yay for my first paycheck), I might buy him a bigger aquarium. I'm not too fond of this one having a bowed front... that I've already scratched up trying to clean it. We'll see. I have no clue how much I'm gonna get.

Fireflies: So you have a beautiful betta too! What kind of personality does he have?  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Akari_32

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:35 pm
kage no neko
Akari_32

Okay. biggrin It won't be any problem buying the safestart stuff. So I guess this weekend I'll be busy with the tanks.

The bowl/aquarium are in my office with me, and I'm in here every day at some point. I open my blinds to let the light in, and turn on my light when it gets dark.. so it'll have some sort of light regulation, just not his own personal light.

...actually since I get paid on Friday (yay for my first paycheck), I might buy him a bigger aquarium. I'm not too fond of this one having a bowed front... that I've already scratched up trying to clean it. We'll see. I have no clue how much I'm gonna get.

Fireflies: So you have a beautiful betta too! What kind of personality does he have?

WalMarts got a 5 gallon kit for about $35. Comes with the tank, hood, filter, and I think a heater (there are two kinds of the 5 gallon kits).  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:52 pm

Do you have any friends that keep fish? If you could borrow their filter media that would seed your tank and make it safe for him to live in right away.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:13 pm
kage no neko
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

Very beautiful indeed. 3nodding

He's quite a feisty and curious one. I had to tape a piece of paper to the black filter that was attached to the side, because he could see his reflection in it and was flaring at it constantly. I didn't want him to be stressed out all the time.

But when I rub my finger along the glass, he follows it. When I shake the food canister, he gets all excited and wiggles around. When I open the lid he races to the top and swims back and forth until I feed him. He mostly likes to stick around the front of the tank. I don't know if he can actually see, but it seems like he enjoys knowing what's going on.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:21 pm
He is beautiful! Today I said good bye to my betta boy, Ka. He has been on the decline lately, so it was bittersweet to see that he had died today. I will miss him, but it has been a good 4 years, and this has been a hard month for him.

I love bettas. They seem to have such strong personalities for fish.  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:56 am
Kipluck
He is beautiful! Today I said good bye to my betta boy, Ka. He has been on the decline lately, so it was bittersweet to see that he had died today. I will miss him, but it has been a good 4 years, and this has been a hard month for him.

I love bettas. They seem to have such strong personalities for fish.

cry For fish?! Most fish have personalities! Usually the ones that don't are schoolers and livebearers, but even they can sometimes. Anyway, sorry for your loss Kip!

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games