Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:26 pm
Not many but fish none the less.
User Image
My betta being all 'who the hell are you guys' but he's not bothering them now that they're out.
I didn't let them out though, lol, they swam out. I accidentally poked a hole in the bag when I tried to let it set in the top of the tank. So I kind of just put it down in there anyway because I didn't want to just throw them right in...They seem to be okay though.
I went back in to get my camera out of my room and noticed a suspicious lack of fish in the bag and I was like wtf, then I found them at the bottom, darting around and sticking to things.
edit:
Okay, it was kind of a bad idea to get these fish. I swear to god. So here's the deal. I needed algae eaters like, badly. I needed something to HELP with the algae. The guy suggested I get two of them. Never did he mention that they get aggressive when older.
Someone suggested that a long time ago when I was looking for algae eaters. To get a chinese algae eater and I thought I did research on it. I did apparently and realized he reccomended the SIAMESE algae eater to me ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
well they're cute right now at least...
I have another tank I might be able to put one in but it says not to keep adults together, so anyone know wtf I can do with the other ones?
I guess I could try to re-home both of them when they get too big. I know it sounds dumb but I can't take them back. The store is like an hour away and no way is anyone driving me up there because I bought the wrong fish.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:18 pm

Algae eaters get big and aggressive. What size tank?

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:34 pm
Vanilla eXee

like I said I mistook them for Siamese algae eaters... I'll probably have to rehome them eventually  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:57 pm
I'd replace them now and get Nerite Snails. They are great little algae eaters, and cant reproduce in fresh water.

Those guys'll get near a foot long, and super aggressive.

Put an ad on Craigslist.org. Theres fish lovers out there that'll take 'em.  

Akari_32

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:49 am
iDiru
Vanilla eXee

like I said I mistook them for Siamese algae eaters... I'll probably have to rehome them eventually

At 6 inches, the siamese can be too big for a 10g as well. There's conflincting onfo on themm, but from what I gather they're also schoolers, so you'd need 6 of them, which would be a terrible idea in your 10. Never use a fish to solve a problem.

Now, Akari suggested Nerites, and they're a great idea, but I think we should tackle the underlying reasons for your algae problem first. How often and how much water do you change? What fish are in the tank? Do you have live plants? Do you use ferts? What kind of lighting, and how long is it on per day? Where is the tank in relation to any widows? And something that would help amazingly if you have a test kit, what are your tank parameters?

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games