Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
I am stressed out with Hiro's wound.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:38 am
He had his surgery last Wednesday on his knee. It seemed to be all going great. They told me we had to keep Hiro in a room he couldn't jump on things... Which is impossible. We decided to put him in a small room for the night and when we're away. He can't jump on the desk in that room. It's too high for him, and on everything else he was able to jump on we put boxes and other things.
He's wearing a cap, that he only wears when we're away and asleep. So he won't lick the wound. He sometimes manage to take off his cap,... So whenever I'm awake at night I check out on him if he's still wearing it. He's not allowed to lick the wound because of infections.

But a cat is a cat and he managed to jump on something and jump off it. Ever since he's hinking with his leg. He didn't do it that bad in the beginning after the surgery. The wound seems to heal fine, but I came home today to see that it had been bleeding a little. (he was still wearing his cap, So how is this possible?)

He can't put his weight on the leg, which isn't really a surprise, it's been a few days(4 days) after the surgery and it needs time to heal, right? But he wants to jump so badly, I try to keep him distracted by playing with him while he's in his box resting his leg. But I can't do that all the time, and I don't want to lock him up in that small room away from everything else when we're at home.

His behavior has changed a little bit, he meows more than he usually did, he sleeps a lot and doesn't eat that much as he usually did. Which isn't really a problem cause he had to lose weight anyway. Even Suki's behavior has changed, he hisses at me, and meows his horrible meow.

Anyway, I'd like to hear opinion on this. I'm probably stressing out over nothing, I do that a lot.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:04 pm

Might have been a good idea to keep him confined to his carrier for a few days, since he's so rambunctious. I know that's easier said than done with a cat. Call your vet with your concerns and see what they say.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

SmoothSavage

Eloquent Gawker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:07 pm
If there's nowhere in the house he can't jump, then he needs to be confined to a crate or something similar. Moving around a lot or jumping can completely ruin the entire surgery.

We had to crate Riddle after her knee surgery. It sucked, but it was what needed to happen.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:46 am
Well, I decided to move everything away that could be moved where he could jump on. Or stuff it full with stuff so he can't jump on it anymore, nor can he move it away. We closed the bedroom door, so he can't jump on the bed, so all we have to do is keep an eye out he doesn't jumps on the couch.

The small room we locked him in before should be jump free by now.

We don't have a crate, so we have to do it this way.
The vet only told me that he wasn't allowed to jump it.
So I'll see how it goes now, now that he can't jump anymore.  

pompoennetje

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:39 am
Maybe not a carrier, but a dog crate if you could borrow one might be helpful. he could move around and stretch but there'd be no way for him to jump. I know it seems awefull, but for when you can't supervise him, it would be worse for him to reinjure it. We have 2 month old puppies at work on strict cage rest not even allowed to walk.

As for his weight though, I think now is not the time for him to loose weight. Let's get him healed up and then put him on a diet. If he's loosing weight while recovering from an injury, this is not good, it means he's in a negative calorie state and he NEEDS those calories for his body to heal itself. I would try to stimulate his appetite by warming or wetting the food or get him a richer food. You don't want him to gain weight, and yes, being leaner will help because with a bad leg you don't want much weight on it. But You also don't want him in a negative calorie state right now.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:23 am
I know my parents have one, but it's huge. But what about the litter box? If he's inside a crate, he has no chance in going into the litterbox.

I'm going to try and give him some food later today. When he's awake.

He's doing a bit better than the last two days. He isn't able to jump on anything anymore. Which frustrates him a lot. So instead he sleeps... A lot.  

pompoennetje

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:51 am
Funklepuss
I know my parents have one, but it's huge. But what about the litter box? If he's inside a crate, he has no chance in going into the litterbox.

He's doing a bit better than the last two days. He isn't able to jump on anything anymore. Which frustrates him a lot. So instead he sleeps... A lot.
check walmart, they have little litter boxes that are like a foot long by about 7 inches wide, perfect for going in a dog crate, and they are less than 2$ here, but we don't have sales tax, but still it should be fairly cheap!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:45 pm
Cowgirl-with-heart
Funklepuss

check walmart, they have little litter boxes that are like a foot long by about 7 inches wide, perfect for going in a dog crate, and they are less than 2$ here, but we don't have sales tax, but still it should be fairly cheap!

We don't have walmart here, but I know what you mean.

We're going to give it one last try tonight. And if that doesn't work we're going to get the dog crate from my parents tomorrow. Since that crate is like, our last option.  

pompoennetje

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff