Submit

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:17 am
last month stowrm got a small bug bite on her ear, which is fine. we live in va and during the summer it feels like its the bug biting capitol of the us. i know we got nothing on you floridians but humor me here.

well the crazy mutt kept scratching and making it bleed and now she has no fur on the back of here ear and a huge scab that she keeps scratching off everyday. she is on some antibiotics that the vet gave us when she got hurt on friday, nice cut on her doggy wrist and had to go to the emergency vet and keep her from running and playing all weekend. well im hoping those antibiotics help a bit with the itching, i know it has to have a bit of an infection.

any other tips for keeping her from messing with it until it heals? can i put anti itch creme on my dog?

and my normal vet just called while i was typing this to check and see how stowrm's leg was doing. i called her right before she closed on friday and she told me about the emergency vet. my god he was expensive. i wan in there carrying a 40lbs dog in my arms almost crying because i thought she was bleeding to death. she on the other hand wasnt even yelping or limping. my dog is a trooper and im a pansy. im fine doing home fixes for my other animals, i can easily cut things open on my animals without being bothered too much, but seeing my dog bleeding really freaked me out. i think it must have been because this was the first time ive had a dog bleed on me since our first toy poodle got killed  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:43 am
My advice, pop an e-collar on her until it heals. Or at least until the scab is smaller. You really just need her to stop scratching at it, and an e-collar will prevent that.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:06 am
Shearaha
My advice, pop an e-collar on her until it heals. Or at least until the scab is smaller. You really just need her to stop scratching at it, and an e-collar will prevent that.

i have no idea where i would get one  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:22 am
Shanna66
Shearaha

I know around here most vets will give you one if you leave a deposit and then you get the money back when you return it. PetSmart also sells them, and I think PetCo does as well.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:46 am
Shearaha
Shanna66
Shearaha

I know around here most vets will give you one if you leave a deposit and then you get the money back when you return it. PetSmart also sells them, and I think PetCo does as well.

how much are they?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:33 am
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

I just got one, because my cat is having the same problem. A wound on his ear won't heal because he keeps scratching it. It's been working great, except for my boyfriend keeps taking it off at night because he's worried about the cat getting stuck or suffocating or something.

I bought it off Amazon for around $10. I'm not sure if you could find them for less at the pet stores or not, though. :S But it's worth the money to have one around for emergencies, IMO.

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:39 pm
Shanna66
Shearaha
Shanna66
Shearaha

how much are they?

It's been a while, but I think they were between 10 & 20, depending on the size.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:41 pm
Shearaha
Shanna66
Shearaha
Shanna66
Shearaha

how much are they?

It's been a while, but I think they were between 10 & 20, depending on the size.

The ones I noticed a few weeks back (at Pet Planet - I don't know if it's all of North America or just Canada) were around that price.

You can also ask your vet if they have them - you may or may not have to pay (I didn't when I got Bella's when she got spayed, mum did when she got Zoe spayed and when she picked up a new one for Bella [it was in reach when Zoe was teething]); they're about $5 from our vet.

~ Aki - Fairy ~

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:48 am
thanks, ill ask the vet then check around the pet stores if i have to

and stowrm can finally run around the yard again. i couldnt let her before because her cut still wasnt fully heals and and small romp around the yard made it start bleeding again. now she is fully healed so i can tie my dog out before we go on walks to tire her out XD

she was getting so inbearable that my friend told me she could probably name a few reasons why her last family abandoned her. thank god its over. now i can go back to having a good, tired dog  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:23 pm
You'll need to know her neck size.  

Akiska

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:46 am
Akiska
You'll need to know her neck size.

i can take her with me to the vet or petco so ill be able to measure her there  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games