Reply Pictures
Welcomign Artemis! ='D

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Purple Hyena

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:38 am
So, on Friday, I kind of sort of rescued a little green Anole from my moms work. She works at a freighting company, and I'm sure the lizard came from Florida. Anyway, we have her in a little 5 gal setup, I know we need at least 10 gals but she's going in a 27 gal soon enough and the little tank is just a temp. I have a (new) heating rock for her, and I make sure the tank is humid enough, and I spray it down with water just to be sure. She has a stick, 6 crickets ( have NO idea if they're even small enough for her, or if they're gut-loaded or not), and a leafy branch in there, too.

User Image
The pic was from when we first got her, and we didn't have much for her. She was brown 'cause she was cold, but now we have a UVB light for her and she's green and happy again smile

Also, she won't eat. We went to Petsmart( I don't trust them one bit) and the guy working there said that wild caught animals may starve themselves to death. Any suggestions to get her to eat?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:37 am
lilymu12
So, on Friday, I kind of sort of rescued a little green Anole from my moms work. She works at a freighting company, and I'm sure the lizard came from Florida. Anyway, we have her in a little 5 gal setup, I know we need at least 10 gals but she's going in a 27 gal soon enough and the little tank is just a temp. I have a (new) heating rock for her, and I make sure the tank is humid enough, and I spray it down with water just to be sure. She has a stick, 6 crickets ( have NO idea if they're even small enough for her, or if they're gut-loaded or not), and a leafy branch in there, too.

User Image
The pic was from when we first got her, and we didn't have much for her. She was brown 'cause she was cold, but now we have a UVB light for her and she's green and happy again smile

Also, she won't eat. We went to Petsmart( I don't trust them one bit) and the guy working there said that wild caught animals may starve themselves to death. Any suggestions to get her to eat?

Ditch the heat rock. They are dangerous and anoles are arboreal anyways. You need to get a basking light and a separate UVB bulb for calcium absorption. Such as Reptisun 5.0 She won't eat because you don't have the correct basking temp of 85-90. Also you need to provide more foliage so she feels safe and secure. You can get fake bushy plants at the dollar stores aslong as they don't have perfumes or other crap on them. Read this caresheet.
http://www.wnyherpsociety.org/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/Green_Anole_Care_Sheet.104180533.pdf  

ladycrotalus

Sparkly Gekko

7,225 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Purple Hyena

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:43 pm
ladycrotalus

Ok, well, she's eating now, you're late on your review. We got the 27 gallon up, we just need to get a new light for her, or put it in a lamp or something. So, she's not in it yet.

I may be ignorant for saying this, but she loves the heat rock. She sits on it every day. I'm not taking it out, she doesn't have to use it.

Also, my mom wants to get a frog to put in the 27 gal with her, I don't want to. I don't know anything about frogs, and I think another anole would be the best thing to put in the tank if we want something else in there.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:30 pm
lilymu12
ladycrotalus

Ok, well, she's eating now, you're late on your review. We got the 27 gallon up, we just need to get a new light for her, or put it in a lamp or something. So, she's not in it yet.

I may be ignorant for saying this, but she loves the heat rock. She sits on it every day. I'm not taking it out, she doesn't have to use it.

Also, my mom wants to get a frog to put in the 27 gal with her, I don't want to. I don't know anything about frogs, and I think another anole would be the best thing to put in the tank if we want something else in there.

She is on the hot rock because she has no other choice for heat. They need an overhead basking light to mimic the heat from the sun and they need a separate UVB bulb so they can absorb calcum, without it they get metabolic bone disease and die very quickly. Hot rocks cause thermal burns, this guy i knew lost his house and all his pets to fire because a hot rock he was using malfunctioned.
Some people mix green tree frogs with anoles but frogs are pretty delicate and disease transfer could kill one or both animals.  

ladycrotalus

Sparkly Gekko

7,225 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Pictures

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items