Bao Sanniang

Shirtless Shapeshifter

12,100 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:25 pm
Phones

Then: Phone booths had doors and frosted glass so that you could not hear or see who was on the phone.

Now: People will get on cell phones and discuss the most intimate stuff in public.

Television

Then: Television was in low definition black and white and what you could broadcast was limited

Now: Television is in high definition color and you can broadcast the most shocking things with no problems.

Movies

Then: Moves had poor special effects and barely if ever reached PG.

Now: Movies can do just about anything in both special effects and content and often require the viewer to be 17 or older.

Cartoons

Then: Cartoons were for aimed at the whole audience and any adult material was disguised to avoid getting the cartoon banned and so that kids could enjoy it without their minds being poisoned.

Now: There are adult cartoons. Nuff said.

Why does the "now" example sadden me so?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:00 pm
*Pats Rei on the shoulder* The now versions saddens me as I want to let kids enjoy being kids while they're still kids. Sometimes it feels like we (society) have let them down, letting them grow up to quickly. You only get to do childhood as a child one time, childhood as an adult could go on for a long time.  

Lil Brat
Captain

Enduring Codger

11,525 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100

purpleravenhawk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:26 pm
I don't think the disguising of the adult material really worked that well. When I was a kid, I knew exactly what they were hinting at. It didn't protect me at all, and my brother has told me pretty much the same thing. In some ways, I think we adults can be more naive than kids. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:40 pm
purpleravenhawk
I don't think the disguising of the adult material really worked that well. When I was a kid, I knew exactly what they were hinting at. It didn't protect me at all, and my brother has told me pretty much the same thing. In some ways, I think we adults can be more naive than kids. xd

Yes , and why does " adult " automatically mean explicit? Isn't there something wrong with that? I've watched anime that to me is adult or with adult themes , and had almost no "adult" content.  

Ghin - Aoiichi

Retro Punk

Krego-sama

Rainbow Regular

7,850 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:50 am
The now shouldn't sadden. The people then did things just as horrible as people do now, only now those things have become visible for all to see.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:53 pm
Krego-sama
The now shouldn't sadden. The people then did things just as horrible as people do now, only now those things have become visible for all to see.

This is as close to the mark as I could get, with concerns to real life happenings.

As to things dealing with entertainment, it is just the ever evolving psyche of society. In ancient Rome, there were daily executions and gladitorial fights, billed as entertainment. But after the fall of the empire, violence was no longer entertaining, it was simply the way life was. By the Rennaisance, society had grown so tired of violence, that we tried to lock it away, along with our other base desires and impulses.

Now, we are just seeing them emerge again, and not surprisingly, as entertainment. The circle is complete, and will continue into the future.  

FireSpark
Crew

Aged Citizen

8,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
Serious Conversations

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers