Submit

JadeRabbitEmperor

High-functioning Garbage

19,525 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Married 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:13 pm
Am by no means an expert with or on rats and mice but i do know a great deal XP Am just getting into being a breeder.

At the moment i only have 1 rat. A black and white English fancy name Buddy.

If you need help with any kind of rodent message me ill see what i can do to help.

Let me start though by if it wont eat drink is a lump its teeth or white and its eye glassy or seems off for any reason then it normally would be GO TO A VET !

Tips for rodent care.
No cider beding ! This can cause sizing. Witch is a sign of a rang of problems.
Try to not keeo them in a tank. Rodents need an open air cage. there noses are 90 times stronger then yours so when you smell the cage needs to be cleaned its 9x worst of the rat !
Keep toys in the cage for them to play with. a wheel is a most ! Even if you don't see them run on it a lot that mostly due to the fact there more active at night so they'll run more at night. though they do need to learn what its for XP

Food to avode
Potato onion any thing that grows under the dirty pretty much O_O
Spicy foods or sweets. Same for sour stuff.
You can give them scraps of your food though its best to check before hand to see whats in it to make sure there safe.
They can eat meat's

ill add kore later on XP  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:49 pm
I would not advise getting into breeding to be honest... I once bred rats, not to give or sell to people, but as snake food. And even with a snake eating them, I still had too many babies left over and ended up having to give them to the pet store who used them as breeders...for snake food.  

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100

JadeRabbitEmperor

High-functioning Garbage

19,525 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Married 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:51 pm
iDiru
I would not advise getting into breeding to be honest... I once bred rats, not to give or sell to people, but as snake food. And even with a snake eating them, I still had too many babies left over and ended up having to give them to the pet store who used them as breeders...for snake food.
yeah its best to find buyers before you try and breed XD iv oly breed 5 litters so far and all 5 had close to 20 pups a litter XD  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:52 pm
Ohmarow-Conco-Tanoychie
iDiru
yeah its best to find buyers before you try and breed XD iv oly breed 5 litters so far and all 5 had close to 20 pups a litter XD

It's pretty difficult to find buyers though. I once ended up with about 30 rats. I'm not joking. It was horrible.  

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100

JadeRabbitEmperor

High-functioning Garbage

19,525 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Married 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:56 pm
iDiru
Ohmarow-Conco-Tanoychie
iDiru

It's pretty difficult to find buyers though. I once ended up with about 30 rats. I'm not joking. It was horrible.
O_O shizzz and in what 2 weeks they can breed them self O_e holy shizzz ! ummm go to bait stores ( places that sell crickets and stuff ) ask to put up banners for feeders. fisherment some times use pinkys as bass bait ...  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:07 pm
Ohmarow-Conco-Tanoychie
iDiru
Ohmarow-Conco-Tanoychie
iDiru

O_O shizzz and in what 2 weeks they can breed them self O_e holy shizzz ! ummm go to bait stores ( places that sell crickets and stuff ) ask to put up banners for feeders. fisherment some times use pinkys as bass bait ...

That's why I had so many rats...I wasn't there, all the time. When my dad was with them he wouldn't separate them quickly enough and I'd end up with tons of rats. Actually, I think it was more than 30. 30 was the amount of rats that were offspring that I had to take to the pet store.  

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100

JadeRabbitEmperor

High-functioning Garbage

19,525 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Married 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:11 pm
iDiru
Ohmarow-Conco-Tanoychie
iDiru
Ohmarow-Conco-Tanoychie
iDiru

That's why I had so many rats...I wasn't there, all the time. When my dad was with them he wouldn't separate them quickly enough and I'd end up with tons of rats. Actually, I think it was more than 30. 30 was the amount of rats that were offspring that I had to take to the pet store.
lol good god XD  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:32 pm
Ohmarow-Conco-Tanoychie
iDiru
Ohmarow-Conco-Tanoychie
iDiru
Ohmarow-Conco-Tanoychie
iDiru

lol good god XD

But on the subject of breeding though I honestly just don't see the point in doing it unless you know you've got a buyer. I'm kind of being a hypocrite here but kind of not since I plan to breed snakes, however, I have a definite buyer already and they'll be het for a nice looking morph.

...Anyway, the thing with rats is though that they have so many babies. There are so, so many rats and I know a lot of people, looking for a rat as a pet, probably won't be looking around for breeders. And if they do, what about all those other people who breed rats?
Rats just seem to be ridiculously overbred for no real reason...
Like I said, the only reason I bred mine were for food. Hell that's actually the only reason I got rats in the first place, and the only reason I ended up with a rat to begin with was because it was a rat my snake wouldn't eat.
We'd been discussing breeding rats for a while as snake food but to be honest it was a lot more difficult than it seemed, once the babies started popping out. They were adorable, don't get me wrong, but unneeded and massive in numbers.  

Upirium

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:53 am
Why are you breeding your rats?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:01 am
I agree that rats are actually more over bred than people tend to realize. This summer my spca had over a dozen rats. People just don't THINK about anything other than pet stores when they chose to get a rat. Rats get abandoned same as dogs and cats and need homes. People go to pet stores because it's convenient.

Before you start breeding I would first check around, spca, petfinder, even kijiji, make sure you don't have a pile of rats who need homes that you might make more difficult for them to find. If there is, I would suggest fostering, rather than breeding. Both my rats are the result of someone's rat getting knocked up that they dumped at an spca. So you could still get to raise baby rats and maybe even go through the birth process, but you would be helping a great deal.

Otherwise, make sure you have more than enough people lined up. If you suspect your rat is able to produce 10 offspring in one litter, have like 15 people lined up to buy, often some people back out and you get stuck. Then it's a bit of a race, because you need to find homes while they're still babies or they loose the cute factor and are difficult to home.

If you do breed, try to get very healthy stock. Don't breed a rat if you discover the mother or father of that rat to develop tumors at a young age etc. Like, don't just do it, to do it. Strive to produce healthier rats with each generation. I knew of absolutely no breeders who did that, and I refuse to support a pet store in any way. So that's why I opted to get my girls from SPCA and they were both in foster care when I met them.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces