Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:00 am
I found This site, and this site.

And I also found this
A few things to keep in mind when using herbal remedies

- Herbs take time to build in the system, so do not expect immediate results. It can take from several days up to a week or more to know if the herbal remedy is effective depending upon the severity of the issue being treated and the overall vitality of the animal.
- More frequent dosage – say 3 times per day, is typically more effective than a large dose once per day. The herbs need to remain and build in the animal’s system.
- Suggested dosages may need to be adjusted depending on the individual’s response. If vomiting, diarrhea or other signs of intolerance occur; a remedy should be stopped for two days, and then ½ the original dose can be administered to see if the lower dose can be tolerated. If the animal does not respond to the initial dose, a larger dose may be necessary. A VERY GRADUAL increase to up to 50% above the original dose can be tried to see if results are improved. This should be done with the guidance of a trained veterinarian or with a good knowledge of the herbs you are using.
- Begin only one remedy or medication of any kind at a time. Do not add another remedy until you have well established if there is a response or are signs of intolerance from any other remedy being used. (Unless you are working with a holistic veterinarian familiar with the remedies prescribed).
- Herbs and natural remedies work best on an individual whose system is given the best possible conditions for health and healing including the healthiest and freshest diet possible along with proper nutritional and digestive supplements such as digestive enzymes, essential fatty acids and adequate levels of essential vitamins and minerals.
- Check with a knowledgeable veterinarian if your companion is on any conventional medications that herbal remedies could interact with.

And I was wondering if anyone knew some herbals or stuff that would calm down cats. Like Lavendel does with humans. So far I can't find anything on the internet, but I was hoping anyone had experience with this.

I always wanted a little herb garden.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:34 am
I have heard of lavender being good for calming dogs (ex: rubbing a bit of oil on their kennel blanket to help them relax while you're gone), so I imagine it would probably work with cats, too.

Growing herbs, when you have the right conditions and can do so, is wonderful. Fresh stuff gives food that extra flavour and looks a lot prettier than dried. I might try to do so again next summer (we tried a couple years ago, but the rain and sun ratios weren't quite right - at least inside you have control over the water amounts.

~ Aki - Fairy ~

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:19 am
Well, I have a balcony, but the sun doesn't show up on that side much.
And it's getting winter soon, so I might have to wait for next summer as well. My mother has her own veggie garden, and she's planning to herbs as well. AND she has a garden, so maybe I can make a deal with her. xD

Hmm, Lavendel oil, Thing is, I'm afraid if I rub some oil on their blanket he'll lick it off.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:38 am
Lavender is an edible plant - there are recipes which use it and is not poisonous to cats so I don't believe that lavender oil itself would be harmful though it should be diluted about 1 drop Lavender 10 drops water. If your worried however why not burn some lavender oil nearby? It'll make your house smell pretty and relax everyone including the cat!  

JetAlmeara

Eloquent Raider

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:19 pm
JetAlmeara
Lavender is an edible plant - there are recipes which use it and is not poisonous to cats so I don't believe that lavender oil itself would be harmful though it should be diluted about 1 drop Lavender 10 drops water. If your worried however why not burn some lavender oil nearby? It'll make your house smell pretty and relax everyone including the cat!

I was thinking about that too. It will probably smell less heavy as incense too. Hmm. I'm going into town tomorrow anyway, I'll have a look. 4laugh  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:43 pm
http://www.pawscrossed.com/aromatherapy/75-3-must-have-essential-oils-to-calm-your-pet.html

This looks pretty legit  

Azusanga

~ Aki - Fairy ~

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:30 pm
Funklepuss
JetAlmeara

I was thinking about that too. It will probably smell less heavy as incense too. Hmm. I'm going into town tomorrow anyway, I'll have a look. 4laugh

Just be careful with oil burners (the plug-in type) as they can be rather strong and overbearing.
If you have a shelf the cat will stay off of, a reed diffuser could be another option.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:57 am
Azusanga
http://www.pawscrossed.com/aromatherapy/75-3-must-have-essential-oils-to-calm-your-pet.html

This looks pretty legit

Thank you! I'll look it through!

~ Aki - Fairy ~

I don't like the plug in type, I like those old skool burners with a candle.
I do have a place they are not allowed to jump on, and they don't jump on it either.

Sadly, the place where I usually go to for this kind of stuff, was closed. mad  

pompoennetje

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:48 pm
I've used lavender with gliders, in a paste that is edible. It is fine if they lick it. Nani never seemed affected by it (which, unfortunately was who I wanted it to calm the most!), but Lilo did.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games