Submit

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:46 pm
the pet supply store started selling them. i love that store becasue the only animals they sell are fish so they are able to keep the prices of their pet supplies really low. all the people really know what they're talking about with animal care and all the ones ive talked to are on a bunch of animal forums to keep on learning good information.

well i went there yesterday to get some more hooves and cow ears for stowrm and took her with me to help her get over her stranger fear, she goes with me nearly everywhere. i looked at the fish to see if i could fine any honey gouramis and i saw the tattood fish, worse yet there was a sign bragging about how great tattood fish are and how the ink never fades. i couldnt believe that a store willed with so many smart people who know what they are doing would actually sell these poor animals.

next time i go in i plan on asking them why they want to sell those fish. i hope the employees will share my disgust  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:38 pm
People who tattoo or buy/support tattoo'd animals need to be slapped. Several times. Really hard. That's awful. -__-  

Parfait Parrot

Seteppe

Questionable Pal

16,475 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Super Jumper 500
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:42 pm
Parfait Parrot
People who tattoo or buy/support tattoo'd animals need to be slapped. Several times. Really hard. That's awful. -__-

Agreed. I also think people who dye their pets carnival colors 'ought to be jack slapped. emotion_donotwant  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:05 pm
...to actually tattoo a pet? Like.. with a needle and it hurts and is permanent? Wow...  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Akari_32

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:59 pm
They are dipped in an acid that strips off their slime coat, either tattoo'd (held out of water, while its done) or dipped in a dye, then dipped in another acid to stimulate their slime coat. Over 80% of dyed and tattoo'd fish DIE before they even get to the store. To top it off, their immune systems are weakened, and their life spans severely shortened, sometimes to just a few weeks. The ink on dyed fish fades over time, and it may, or may not, on tattoo'd fish, depending on how big the fish grows.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:29 pm
I've never heard of this being done to fish, but that sounds terrible.

On a side note since I see some people generalizing about all tattooing of animals being bad, I've never had a problem with say people who choose to get their dogs tattooed for another form of ID.  

Krissim Klaw
Crew

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:07 am
Krissim Klaw
I've never heard of this being done to fish, but that sounds terrible.

On a side note since I see some people generalizing about all tattooing of animals being bad, I've never had a problem with say people who choose to get their dogs tattooed for another form of ID.

im suprised you've never heard of it.

stowrm has a little tattoo, its just a green line on her belly to show she was spayed. she got it done at the spca. i dont like that my dog has more ink than i do so at some point i need to fix that and get that little dragon ive been planning on

im fine with dyeing animals like dogs, rats, and furry things. but with fish the dye they use acid for the tattooing and the dyeing. its horrible what they are allowed to get away wityh. some fish they even dock some of the fins to make them look different  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:08 am
Akari_32
They are dipped in an acid that strips off their slime coat, either tattoo'd (held out of water, while its done) or dipped in a dye, then dipped in another acid to stimulate their slime coat. Over 80% of dyed and tattoo'd fish DIE before they even get to the store. To top it off, their immune systems are weakened, and their life spans severely shortened, sometimes to just a few weeks. The ink on dyed fish fades over time, and it may, or may not, on tattoo'd fish, depending on how big the fish grows.

since the fish usually doesnt live that long afterwards i doubt the dye has a chance to fade. im still just baffled on how a store that knows so much about animals and even keeps some of their bettas in the tanks with the other fish can sell tattood fish and brag about it. all those poor mollies and glass catfish  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:33 am
Shanna66
Akari_32

since the fish usually doesnt live that long afterwards i doubt the dye has a chance to fade. im still just baffled on how a store that knows so much about animals and even keeps some of their bettas in the tanks with the other fish can sell tattood fish and brag about it. all those poor mollies and glass catfish

Tougher fish, like Parrot Cichlids, live years dyed. Its just that their lives are very shortened, so they dont have the potential to live as long as their un-dyed counterparts. A forum friend of my has a "Jelly Bean" Bloody Parrot who is in the double digits , but she now a solid orange, rather than what ever color she was when he bought her. Then, say, Mollies, on the other hand, might not live even a year.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:40 am
Akari_32
Shanna66
Akari_32

Tougher fish, like Parrot Cichlids, live years dyed. Its just that their lives are very shortened, so they dont have the potential to live as long as their un-dyed counterparts. A forum friend of my has a "Jelly Bean" Bloody Parrot who is in the double digits , but she now a solid orange, rather than what ever color she was when he bought her. Then, say, Mollies, on the other hand, might not live even a year.

poor things  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

PSM Guild Mule

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:17 pm
My friend had a cat who had the word "ouch" tattooed on her belly.
She rescued the cat from some people down the street. They went to jail and she took the cat.

I can understand about tattooing an animal to show that it has been spayed/neutered but anything other than that should be considered animal cruelty.
Tattooing animals for identification isn't necessary when you can get them chipped or put a collar and tags on them.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:31 pm
Subliminal Aftermath

Tattooing animals for identification isn't necessary when you can get them chipped or put a collar and tags on them.
Collars fall off or can be removed, chips need a scanner to be read and aren't universal so may not even be picked up in some places. Chips if placed in improperly can also move and there are some studies that link chips to causing tumors around the site where they are placed.

For reference, I do have my dog micro chipped, but there are pros and cons to all methods so I can understand why someone would chose an identification tattoo. It can be done when under anesthesia when your dog is being say spayed or neutered. It can also often be done without the need for any sedatives.  

Krissim Klaw
Crew

JetAlmeara

Eloquent Raider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:37 pm
Tattooing is also required by some animal Registration Organization's - The jokey club for instance requires that all Thoroughbreds be tattooed to be registered and/or race. Since it's not something that cause's life long pain and is fairly easily managed for the time period there is pain I don't have problems with it...People get tattooed all the time and are not laying in agony on their beds for days. I've had horses and goats tattooed for such reasons.

Tatoos for registration. Identification I'm okay with - However tattooing fish or simply for the heck of it I have some problems with.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:03 pm
I could never express in words how much I hate tattooed fish. Those poor babies!!! I try to think about what kind of person could do such a thing, but then I remember that people do evil things to other people, never mind other animals and then I have to stop thinking about it because it's too miserable.  

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:17 pm
I'd support tattooing for ID reasons if I even had a clue what you'd tattoo on them. Like what would you put on it, your address or phone number? Then what if it changes... you know?

But I'm not sure if I even trust microchips. We got Tora this past January and he got chipped before we got him. I really do think it fell out. I was petting the spot once and something fell off... I'm not sure if it was the chip or a scab, but it healed almost immediately after that. But if I got it done, it'd be as young as possible.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff