Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
LGBT Reads!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Brisbys_Stone

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:07 am
The only one I can reccommend is Annie On My Mind. It's the only one I have read. 4laugh I am currently waiting for another one to come to my library: Patience and Sarah.

I absolutely loved Annie On My Mind! A beautiful love story. heart  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:22 am
i loved the Rainbow boy's series and there is one called bare that i really like.  

snowbunnie37

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:33 pm
Anyone here heard of Kissing Kate by Lauren Myracle? I haven't read it, but has anybody else?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:05 pm
This sort of threads pops up from time to time, and a lot of the same books get mentioned. I found the last one, but wayyyy back there.

What I said then is still true today:
Quote:
Although I was happy enough to read the Rainbow Boys books when I was younger, it was mostly just because it was novel to read a book that featured gay characters. Now, compared to other stuff I've read, I have absolutely nothing good to say about the books. "Let's see how many trite gay cliches we can fit into a series of three books!"

If you're going to read LGBT-themed YA books, I would look into David Levithan before picking up Rainbow Boys.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson (cowritten with John Green) is wonderful, as are Wide Awake and The Realm of Possibility. Boy Meets Boy is cute, too, but I don't like it as much as the others, for some of the same reasons I didn't enjoy Alex Sanchez's books. (Although Boy Meets Boy was soooo much better.)

Mercedes Lackey does an interesting fantasy trilogy with a gay protagonist, The Last Herald-Mage trilogy. It's definitely not Tolkien (or Jordan, or Martin, or Pratchett....) but it's not bad.

If you like horror, check out Poppy Z. Brite. My favourite book is Lost Souls, although I think Drawing Blood was technically better written. Her characters (especially in her newer works) are awesome. Love her love her love her.

Suicide Notes by Michael Thomas Ford is another favourite, as is Pretty Things by Sara Manning.

Anne Rice's son Christopher Rice wrote a sort of crime thriller that was decent, Light Before Day.

Finally, I'm going to second Mito's recommendation for The Picture of Dorian Gray. It's not technically a "gay" book, but it's a good read nonetheless. If you get a chance to see The Importance of Being Earnest (also by Oscar Wilde), do it. It's hysterical.

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas