Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
A chicken just died

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:39 pm
Ok so one of our 4 chickens is dead. I have very little experience with finding dead pets, so when I do it's... well I guess a pet dying is never a good experience is it?

Mum has just gone on a trip over the weekend, and dad is at work. I fed them this morning, and got three eggs. Went out a few hours later to get the fourth egg. I noticed that only three of the chickens were running around but assumed the fourth was just on the other side of the house. Then Deedee was sniffing in between the coop they sleep and lay in and the wall of our house. Went to see what was there, hoping it wasn't a snake or anything, and there she was. At first I thought she was just resting, but she wasn't breathing. Had to go back into the house for a moment, then came back out, picked her up with a towel, wrapped her in it and she is now wrapped up on the table on our porch. I have no idea what to do with her, working on getting credit to text dad (can't ring him from the home phone, he is at work and won't be able to answer). And I have no idea what to do about mum. I really enjoy keeping these chickens, but to be honest I don't have a bond with them, and I don't consider them MINE like I do with the dogs and the guinea pigs. They are mums, she loves them. Despite not being the most caring person about some pets, she really does care about chickens, she absolutely loves them. We have owned them in the past, but had to get rid of them due to living situations. But we have never had one die on us. I don't want to tell her while she is on her trip.

They don't usually go in between the coop and wall, but I guess she was looking for a nice safe and secluded spot. But I just don't get it. They were all fine this morning, and she laid an egg as usual, then she just died. Haven't looked her over for causes yet though. I can't at the moment. I really hope this isn't something that will spread to the other three.
Just so unsure of what to do with the poor girls body  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:30 pm
ugh, sorry to hear that. Maybe don't burry the body yet, don't suppose you have a large freezer lol. Just not sure if your mom would want to pay for an autopsy but it would be very handy to know why she died. In case the others have it. Although chances are she might have just had some sort of hidden genetic issue.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:54 pm
We do have a large freezer but I think I should wait for the ok from dad.
I don't know much about chickens, but maybe they are just not bred to live long. We got them from a produce store, that sells all the 'rejects' that don't make the cut as meat for a big chicken meat brand over here. Considering chickens are meant to be killed for meat pretty early, well maybe that's it.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games