Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
I love having a dog that wants to learn!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Whiskey On A Sunday

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:00 am
[Gush warning]
After much frustration on my part Dexter has now learned the difference between play dead and roll over! Now I want to teach him to do the same thing going the opposite direction.

In the last year he has learned...
Wait, stay, come, sit, down, back up, shake, high five, speak, big speak, play dead, roll over, go to bed and how to play fetch and tug.
When I adopted Dexter September of last year, he was a very under socialized, rude and pushy dog who was terrified of squeaky toys and didn't know what to do with a ball, but has transformed into a mildly well behaved, semi-social, happy go lucky pup. We still have a lot to learn. Although very much a one person dog. I recently learned that he will protect me from strange people if we are out side when its dark, and he respects boundaries if a gate is accidentally left open, oh the joy of a shared back yard.

We are still working on his social skills, specifically, humping another dog is not an acceptable form of play initiation, but he is getting so much better.
Our plans for the next year or so, getting into agility, and hopefully Frisbee, he is getting his hips and elbows x-rayed, neutered, micro chipped and a teeth cleaning all in one go, in January. (thanks to christmas and birthday money)

I just had to gush a little bit, I love my Dexter so much, I don't know what I would do with out him...

[Gushing over]

What does your dog know and what are you future plans for them?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:20 am
And of course, as soon as I'm done posting this he ruins my dinner by chowing down on my sauce for Chicken Parm... sigh.  

Whiskey On A Sunday

DeeSpark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:59 pm
Haha does your dog misbehave when your gushing over how well trained they are to. i swear when ever I say something to somebody about how well behaved my dogs are and how smart they are etc. they do something they shouldn't be haha.

That's great to here about Dexter! He must be happy with you giving him such a good life now!  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:01 pm
Yes, agility and frisbee please. Good idea to xray first. Sounds like a typical Aussie. Except for the one person part. Cowboy listens best to me, but he loves all his people. And he'll do tricks for kids we run into on the street even.

Most aussie's from my experience are not big on running away. Are pretty good about sticking to their properties. My theory for this is they are a herding breed after all. They are very protective of their pack and don't want to go out of sight. Unlike say, a hound, who is meant to run ahead after sights and smells.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Whiskey On A Sunday

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:39 pm
The only thing I'm having a hard time with is the fence fighting between the neighbor dogs, specifically the unruly frenchies to the right of us.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games